SSD slower than HDD in game

Huex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, I have a problem. I tried to change my jailbroken ps4 pro internal HDD by a SSD. I installed pkg games and the SSD is faster than the HDD to load games, system . But the SSD is slower to load the game map in game. Is it normal ?

I tried with 2 1tb SSD : crucial mx5000 and Samsung 870. The HDD is a Toshiba.

I don’t understand…

Last edited by Huex,

Huex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You should get faster boot time with SSD that is the usual benefit.
Yes, the game boot time and system boot are faster. But in game, the game map is slower to load, with the HDD there is a little freeze/lag when it loads but with the SSD it is way more visible.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the game boot time and system boot are faster. But in game, the game map is slower to load, with the HDD there is a little freeze/lag when it loads but with the SSD it is way more visible.

My guess FPKG also play a role, you can check out other game to see if they run smoothly, you get faster boot time and loading time on retail games.

Huex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
My guess FPKG also play a role, you can check out other game to see if they run smoothly, you get faster boot time and loading time on retail games.
I just tried with the retail game on both internal HDD and SSD (I the disc of the game) so without the updates but there is the exact same issue, in game load better with HDD with disc game.
Unfortunately, even though Sony claims the ps4 supports ssd, it doesn't totally. There are limitations.
That’s very unfortunate. Are you sure it is the issue ? No fix ? Do you think I should use the HDD or the SSD ? Because in game in more important than game load or system, right ?

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just tried with the retail game on both internal HDD and SSD (I the disc of the game) so without the updates but there is the exact same issue, in game load better with HDD with disc game.

That’s very unfortunate. Are you sure it is the issue ? No fix ? Do you think I should use the HDD or the SSD ? Because in game in more important than game load or system, right ?
As @godreborn said, not sure the PS4 handle very well ssd on internal.
What you could try, f you have an enclosure case for the ssd, is to try as an extended storage, see if it makes a difference 🤔

Reactions: godreborn

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
What games have you tested with? I’m wondering if the game(s) is writing to the HDD/SSD whilst loading.

This can be an issue because the SSD’s cache could be filling up which is slowing down write operations.

Reactions: Maupiti

Huex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just tried the SSD externally and it is better but not as good as the internal HDD (just for the loading of map, not boot load time which is like internal SSD).

It doesn’t happen everywhere on the map but only at certains places when you pass through a door to load the next place of the map for example. With the internal HDD, it’s so smooth that you really have to look closely to see the lag, sometimes no lag.
It is black ops game that I have tried. Since it happen only at certain place (and certains close textures) it’s not a big issue but I was thinking that it will be worse when I will install and play open world games ?
Post automatically merged:

Also, how do you think a hybrid SSHD would be ?

Last edited by Huex,

Dyhr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried the SSD externally and it is better but not as good as the internal HDD (just for the loading of map, not boot load time which is like internal SSD).

It doesn’t happen everywhere on the map but only at certains places when you pass through a door to load the next place of the map for example. With the internal HDD, it’s so smooth that you really have to look closely to see the lag, sometimes no lag.
It is black ops game that I have tried. Since it happen only at certain place (and certains close textures) it’s not a big issue but I was thinking that it will be worse when I will install and play open world games ?
Post automatically merged:

Also, how do you think a hybrid SSHD would be ?

Does your SSD have a DRAM cache? Because if it doesn't the PS4 probably won't get amazing speed benefits from it.

Also SSHDs are overpriced trash. Avoid them entirely. They're slow, low-quality HDDs with a very low-quality NAND that dies within a few weeks of using it and ultimately contributes nothing, because HDDs don't use NAND (especially such small amounts) the same way as SSDs.
Just get a good HDD if you need that. SSHDs have never, ever had a point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: sup