ROM Hack Discussion SSBU Amiibo Personality Research & Discovery

Etrius_LeoVinci

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread was created in hopes to gather like minded individuals who seek to learn more about SSBU Amiibo Personalities via data (not training via game) and how they are determined. Long term goal is to make a SSBU Amiibo Personality Editor! There are 25 known possible personalities: Aggressive, Cautious, Cool, Daredevil, Entertainer, Enthusiastic, Flashy, Laid Back, Light, Lightning Fast, Lively, Logical, Normal, Offensive, Quick, Realistic, Reckless, Show Off, Sly, Technician, Thrill Seeker, Tricky, Unflappable, Versatile & Wild.
There's 58 bytes of Hex code that make an Amiibo's Personality at offsets 168-1A1, this is viewing the Decrypted .bin file on and Amiibo (I'll explain for beginners below). Each byte represents some functionality, this is what I aim to figure out. until we understand each bytes function will we be able to understand what determines an Amiibo's Personality. An untrained fresh Amiibo will have all bytes at 00, this makes a normal personality and the Amiibo will default to 'monkey see monkey do' trial and error, its important to understand that setting Learning to OFF will not change any personality data from offsets 168-1A1, this is important when testing data values to get results!

Tools I use to edit Amiibo's Personalities:

• TagMo: must have an android device with NFC capabilities! this scans, loads, writes & saves Amiibo's. Only will it work with Encrypted .bin files! There's a great YouTube video on how to set up TagMo by Mr. Sujano, tutorial starts at 2:58. However, you can use whatever works for you!
  • SSBU Amiibo Editor by Odwdinc: this guys work is amazing! link to his work can be found here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ssbu-amiibo-editor.529499/ I personally use his Encrypter and Decrypter, though again you can use whatever you like! If you are unfamiliar with python and would like an EXE version of the editor, he has released a beta in the comments of the thread. you can use the 2 .bin files (unfixed-info.bin secret.bin) to create the "retail.key" file via any Hex Editor and place in the same folder the ssbu amiibo editor is located, tutorial in the comments, look for my name :lol: Once you have the Encrypt and Decrypt option in the file drop down menu, Decrypt the saved .bin file. you'll get a .bind file with the same name. this is where you can edit with a Hex Editor. once finished, Encrypt and write back to the Amiibo!
  • Hex Editor: honestly any editor will work.. just google Hex Editor. if you must know I use HxD Editor by mn-nexus. I recommend learning about how Hex value system works first! I did so and it helped me discover!
If you've had the idea to use a Hex Randomizer to generate 58 bytes of data, to copy and paste it to offsets 168-1A1, generate multiple personalities, find several that are the same personality and see similarities in the data to find out what makes a certain personality. I've already tried that... 200 times!Doesn't work, achieved 18 out of 25 personalities. "Show Off" appeared the most by a long shot, me and another looked at the data and found no similarities! I still have the data on all 200 if any are interested in looking so don't waste your time.

Current method of discovery is teaching an Amiibo something very specific and make Amiibo repeat consistently (doesn't have to be to LVL 50, just till consistency is attained). TURN LEARNING OFF! set first 10 bytes to 00 (but save the data in a text file first..), Encrypt .bind, write .bin to Amiibo, see if it does the thing you taught it. if it still does, paste old data, try the next 10! half the bytes when the 10 bytes set to 00 returned as 'didn't do the thing', and so forth till found.

feel free to try your own method of discovery!

What We've discovered so far:

Offset 181: Taunting! its value based, so the greater the Hex Value the more the Amiibo will taunt!

Offset 171: Grabbing! Also Value Based, but not as great as Taunting.

Offsets 168-16B: Attacking: not much is known about this tbh, setting to 00 will not attack at all, but its not value based! quote from me: "Setting it up with 1E 00 FF 00 with an amiibo that only focuses on tilts. The amiibo did not attack at all,same as if the first was 00. But setting it to 00 1E FF 00, Amiibo attack just as it should. Didn't notice a frequency difference." 1E is a low value of 30 btw. FF was unchanged and the 4th 00 was originally FB but seemed make Amiibo not use any Specials when set to 00 (except recovery, which is default AI)

Offset 18B: Possibly Use Of A-Button: Quote from me "I Taught an Amiibo to only use Up-Tilts. found the offset at 18B, setting to 00 made my amiibo to just neutral A and N-Air. It was honestly 50/50 on what it chose. Setting it to a low value of 30 (1E), made it go back to Up-Tilts but sometimes Natural A if the attack fails. Setting the value higher that 80 will basically make it do Up-Tilts only. maybe somewhere in its data, it learned that the 'attack buttons' 1st priority is up-tilt. And any other value (D-Tilt, Side-Tilt, Neutral-A, N-Air) are low low low prioritization, Because I didn't teach him that. So offset 18B imo is just a value system based on the priority list its learned with A button. If no value is found, it defaults to Neutral A only." still needs further analysis! have to train an Amiibo again but with different Tilts.

If you have any question please comment bellow or PM me! i believe we can discover more together and find out what makes these Amiibo's tick, and how their personalities are determined! Post your findings in the comments, as i will update my findings too!

Last edited by Etrius_LeoVinci,

Taiga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have been doing Amiibo training, but not with a Hex Editor. I, too, am curious about how personalities work and I've managed to be able to get a few through matches and playing a certain way.
If you have a Shulk, I'd be very interested in how the Monado Arts work. I purposely created an Unflappable Shulk and in one match he used Shield Art once before time was over. I have six Shulk, but none of them ever use Shield Art. I have tried a lot of different personalities, and using it in different circumstances. I just have no idea what prompted this Unflappable Shulk to use it when he has had considerable match experience. Unfortunately he hasn't used it since.

Reactions: JHarris

Etrius_LeoVinci

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been doing Amiibo training, but not with a Hex Editor. I, too, am curious about how personalities work and I've managed to be able to get a few through matches and playing a certain way.
If you have a Shulk, I'd be very interested in how the Monado Arts work. I purposely created an Unflappable Shulk and in one match he used Shield Art once before time was over. I have six Shulk, but none of them ever use Shield Art. I have tried a lot of different personalities, and using it in different circumstances. I just have no idea what prompted this Unflappable Shulk to use it when he has had considerable match experience. Unfortunately he hasn't used it since.
I myself am very interested on what determines his choice in Monado. I've ordered a Shulk Amiibo for testing, Should be in anytime between match 4th and 8th unfortunately :/ so I cant do any testing till then. I can look at the data from the .bind file today after work if youd like to upload the hex to a text file. Or just the .bin if you dont have the editor up an running.

Thanks for your reply! I'll try to get you an answer soon :)

Reactions: JHarris and Taiga

Taiga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Have you managed to get all of the personalities via editing? And if not, which personalities do you need some information on obtaining?
I have spent around two hundred of my five hundred and sixty hours in Smash Ultimate on Amiibo training, lol.
Feel free to message me for my Friend Code, if you want. I've heard rumours about the use of Amiibo in online play.

Last edited by Taiga,
Reactions: Etrius_LeoVinci

Etrius_LeoVinci

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Taiga

Personalities I've yet to attain are Daredevil, Entertainer, Lighting Fast, Lively, Offensive, Sly, Unflappable & Wild.

Though you can achieve a Daredevil by setting all offsets from 168-1A1 to FF (which is the max decimal value of 255), I'd like to see one either randomly generated or preferable trained. So I'm super interested in you Unflappable data, was going to figure out shielding next and needed a good candidate :D

EDIT#2: dont have online just yet. In the data mine before release via a source from mexico, there was evidence that showed Amiibo's online! I would absolutely love this tbh! Btw, Works been taking most of my time and I can only crack at this for an hour a day after work, weekends is where I get most of my work in.

Last edited by Etrius_LeoVinci,

Taiga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@Taiga

Personalities I've yet to attain are Daredevil, Entertainer, Lighting Fast, Lively, Offensive, Sly, Unflappable & Wild.

Though you can achieve a Daredevil by setting all offsets from 168-1A1 to FF (which is the max decimal value of 255), I'd like to see one either randomly generated or preferable trained. So I'm super interested in you Unflappable data, was going to figure out shielding next and needed a good candidate :D
I have personally trained Daredevil, Offensive, Unflappable, and Tricky.
Daredevil: I got this personality from ending a lot of stock matches with an off-the-stage Climhazzard, and using Fair or Dair to spike early some of the time. It will work with any special move that has a meteor effect and the potential chance of you dying if you miss the meteor hitbox.
Tricky: This personality I got from spot-dodging attacks and smash attacks, parrying, and punishing with a grab if my Amiibo shielded or if I shielded its attack I did an out-of-shield punish. I need to test a certain attack and special that might also play a part in this personality before I mention it as I'm not 100% sure.
Offensive: A very similar personality to Aggressive, but to get it you need to do less consecutive attacks and a couple fewer early KOs, but not a lot less or you end up with Enthusiastic instead.
Unflappable: To get this personality, set the match damage to 150% on you and your Amiibo. Space out a couple of grabs and throws (act as passive as possible) and shield a lot during idle time, especially when in proximity of your Amiibo. Try to get it to hit your shield a few times with attacks (also parry works), but don't let it KO and don't KO it. When it goes into Sudden Death, it doesn't matter who grabs who for the KO, but don't let it smash attack or it ends up turning Realistic/Cautious if it hits you with enough of them. Ideally, you want to be grabbed because the personality favours them a lot.
I forgot to mention I saved a replay of what I did to get Unflappable. It had been eluding me until I was messing around and saw two Unflappable personalities in my list of collected Spirits when I was doing the Ice Climbers. I don't feed my Amiibo, but I use the Spirits to see which personality traits are most prominent or which ones are starting to appear. If I see new ones I check what action/behaviour I did in the previous match that may have caused the change. I then repeated what it could have been and saw three more Spirits had turned Unflappable in my collection. I did this until the Amiibo finally had the personality.

Last edited by Taiga,

Etrius_LeoVinci

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have personally trained Daredevil, Offensive, Unflappable, and Tricky.
Daredevil: I got this personality from ending a lot of stock matches with an off-the-stage Climhazzard, and using Fair or Dair to spike early some of the time. It will work with any special move that has a meteor effect and the potential chance of you dying if you miss the meteor hitbox.
Tricky: This personality I got from spot-dodging attacks and smash attacks, parrying, and punishing with a grab if my Amiibo shielded or if I shielded its attack I did an out-of-shield punish. I need to test a certain attack and special that might also play a part in this personality before I mention it as I'm not 100% sure.
Offensive: A very similar personality to Aggressive, but to get it you need to do less consecutive attacks and a couple fewer early KOs, but not a lot less or you end up with Enthusiastic instead.
Unflappable: To get this personality, set the match damage to 150% on you and your Amiibo. Space out a couple of grabs and throws (act as passive as possible) and shield a lot during idle time, especially when in proximity of your Amiibo. Try to get it to hit your shield a few times with attacks (also parry works), but don't let it KO and don't KO it. When it goes into Sudden Death, it doesn't matter who grabs who for the KO, but don't let it smash attack or it ends up turning Realistic/Cautious if it hits you with enough of them. Ideally, you want to be grabbed because the personality favours them a lot.
Super informative! Thanks for that actually! Lately I haven't been fully training them, just setting to 300% and teaching them 1 specific thing till they basically spam it (lvl 12-20 is when that happens). Then I just look at the data. Would you mind uploading the bin file of Unflappable? I'd like to take a look at that data if I may. Like I said in the preveous edited comment, I only have so much time to work on this weekdays :(

Taiga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Super informative! Thanks for that actually! Lately I haven't been fully training them, just setting to 300% and teaching them 1 specific thing till they basically spam it (lvl 12-20 is when that happens). Then I just look at the data. Would you mind uploading the bin file of Unflappable? I'd like to take a look at that data if I may. Like I said in the preveous edited comment, I only have so much time to work on this weekdays :(
What would I need to do that? I'd be happy to, of course. I just don't have anything installed or downloaded, so if I knew what to do I can do that. I'd actually be super interested in knowing what kind of data that Shulk holds. You might find that one-time use of Shield Art in there.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Did you get Show-Off from manual training? I don't use taunts on my Amiibo at all. I try to determine what attacks or actions contribute to personalities, and I have tried KOing with stuff like Limit Break, Falcon Punches, but it only showed up in my list of Spirits about seven times and went away after a while. I even tried using high drop-rate Super Stars with extended duration stacked so my Amiibo couldn't hit me with attacks that would influence its personality after the match.

Etrius_LeoVinci

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Taiga I'll PM you a tutorial. This weekend I'll make a tutorial video on YouTube to help get people started with editing.

No, I tried manually training Amiibo's to get personalities and it takes too long. All Amiibo personalities are either from Randomly generated hex code, or specifically edited. All I trained Amiibo's for currently is to get it to do something specific, look at data, nullify chunks of data by setting values to 00 one after another till Amiibo's stops performing it, isolate byte(s) test if it's truly responsible and log results.

Taiga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@Taiga I'll PM you a tutorial. This weekend I'll make a tutorial video on YouTube to help get people started with editing.

No, I tried manually training Amiibo's to get personalities and it takes too long. All Amiibo personalities are either from Randomly generated hex code, or specifically edited. All I trained Amiibo's for currently is to get it to do something specific, look at data, nullify chunks of data by setting values to 00 one after another till Amiibo's stops performing it, isolate byte(s) test if it's truly responsible and log results.
That would be awesome about the tutorial for editing. I would like to be able to edit some of my Amiibo so I could assist with this project even further. I manually train mine, so I'm quite familiar with their behaviour and it will be much more apparent to me if I change something which causes the Amiibo to react differently.
I'm working on the Sly, Wild and Entertainer personalities at the moment.
I have the Unflappable .bin data for you, so let me know where to send that and I'll also send Wild and Sly once I get an Amiibo to prioritise those traits in matches for consistency.

Etrius_LeoVinci

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be awesome about the tutorial for editing. I would like to be able to edit some of my Amiibo so I could assist with this project even further. I manually train mine, so I'm quite familiar with their behaviour and it will be much more apparent to me if I change something which causes the Amiibo to react differently.
I'm working on the Sly, Wild and Entertainer personalities at the moment.
I have the Unflappable .bin data for you, so let me know where to send that and I'll also send Wild and Sly once I get an Amiibo to prioritise those traits in matches for consistency.

This week has been crazy with work. I'm coming in early and staying late. This weekend I'll be able to dedicate a lot of time to this project! I'll also make a YouTube video tutorial this Sat! Go ahead and attack the bin files to your next post, I'll look at them in the morning. Also, I got my shulk Amiibo in tonight :D so I'll test the Monado Art behaviors as well!

Thanks for everyone's interest, involvement and efforts!

Etrius_LeoVinci

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Etrius_LeoVinci
@Taiga

I would strongly advise against posting amiibo .bin files in this thread as they might be considered the same as rom files which are not allowed.

Thank taiga. Wait for the tutorial video this sat and I'll ask for a text file that contains the hex code from offsets 168-1A1 that make a personality. I'll PM you when it's done. Thanks @Wanderer0891

Reactions: Taiga

Taiga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@Etrius_LeoVinci
@Taiga

I would strongly advise against posting amiibo .bin files in this thread as they might be considered the same as rom files which are not allowed.
Yeah, I thought that they may not be allowed so I didn't post it for that reason. I'm looking forward to being able to help out more. I've had some good results with giving Amiibo certain personalities based on their movesets. Shiek is insane with the Lightning Fast personality. I trained her today.

AngryAhab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I came across this thread earlier today. I've been playing around with the Amiibos for a while now in SSBU, and I have been extremely curious about their functionality. It is so cool to find others curious enough to investigate.

Can I take a look at this data? I'm interested in helping in any way I can.

If you've had the idea to use a Hex Randomizer to generate 58 bytes of data, to copy and paste it to offsets 168-1A1, generate multiple personalities, find several that are the same personality and see similarities in the data to find out what makes a certain personality. I've already tried that... 200 times!Doesn't work, achieved 18 out of 25 personalities. "Show Off" appeared the most by a long shot, me and another looked at the data and found no similarities! I still have the data on all 200 if any are interested in looking so don't waste your time.

Taiga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This week has been crazy with work. I'm coming in early and staying late. This weekend I'll be able to dedicate a lot of time to this project! I'll also make a YouTube video tutorial this Sat! Go ahead and attack the bin files to your next post, I'll look at them in the morning. Also, I got my shulk Amiibo in tonight :D so I'll test the Monado Art behaviors as well!

Thanks for everyone's interest, involvement and efforts!
When you are available, I have some updates on my Amiibo research. I have been able to create every personality except for Lively which I think is similar to Wild. I just have to determine the correct taunt offset and other values so it starts to show up. I've been working on this all week.
I hope you have had some success with Shulk, and if you want any other personality data let me know. I have tons of it now.

Update:
I finally got Lively after a lot of training, so now I have data on all the personalities.

Last edited by Taiga,

odwdinc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HexEditor.PNG

So i added a hex editor to the tool, will open form Data menu on export data block,

the Data block is what you want to mess around with as it has the good in it, changing anything out side the data block will give you the "You cannot use this amiibo."

there are 3 unknown locations in the data block and i will work to make them eraser to access.

HexEditor.PNG

duplicitousfox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
19A-19D appears to be the use of the B specials, possibly while in the air. In order, Neutral, Side, Up, and Down. Setting them to 00 seems to make the amiibo use the default AI use of them, while 01 pretty much makes them almost never use it. Setting one to FF seems to make them spam it as much as possible, especially when the others are set to 00 or 01.

Wanderer0891

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something important to note about the Hex Editor in the Amiibo Editor is that it shows offsets E0-1B3 from the decrypted amiibo in question.
I wish I had more data to contribute but its been a mix of being busy and not being sure what to research now.
I do have this however, taking a level 50 amiibo that had been trained to level 50 with learning set to off at level 1 I made a list of what Legend Spirits give which personality when fed to that particular amiibo personality type.
Doing a quick check against another amiibo that had a different personality and had been trained I noticed some different personalities so it might be that if you want a specific personality you need to obtain another personality first as a stepping stone.

Attachments

• Level 50 Normal Amiibo Legend Spirit Personalites List.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 236

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No IKEA shit breaks within a month bed bath and beyond goes beyond
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus pictures don't always cut it with furniture when there's like 10 different bolt styles and they're just like figure it out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach:
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach: