1. H8TR

H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Another interesting thing about DL discs on Wii. If you are really close to your Wii while it is loading a DL disc (like in GCOS), you can hear the laser head realign to read the other layer.

2. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    Yep. Exactly.

That's why this thread is made of riduculous.

3. Omnigamer

Omnigamer Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'd still like to see some similar reports/tests done with other modchips. Bell of YAOSM put up a hex update based on his theory behind the problem.

4. electricsashimi

electricsashimi GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    did u try turning the region settings to ON on your wiikey?

5. electricsashimi

electricsashimi GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    we need the dump, cuz we can try patching it if regionfrii, and brickblocker... possibly modifying the firmware in the iso, or updating wiikey

6. Seraph

Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It proves that NTSC-J Brawl doesn't work with NTSC-U Wii's with Wiikey? That's what this thread was about, not something else...

7. StacMaster-S

StacMaster-S GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is the best thing I've heard in a while... and it makes sense to boot!

8. platypusrme427

platypusrme427 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Maybe the update on the disc screws up the dl capabilities made for Wiikey on the last update. It could be just conflicting firmwares(hacked vs. official), and not a new copy protection. Just a guess of course.

9. xiaNaix

xiaNaix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yes. That is point everyone has completely missed and, unfortunately, wasted tons of GBATemp's bandwith on ridiculous speculation.

10. Bob Loblaw

United States
    So, what? A lot of NTSC-J games don't work on NTSC-U wii's with wiikey. It's not even about that anymore, it's just riduclous bandwidth wasting speculation now like XianaiX said. Should be locked.

11. zero9teen

zero9teen Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    This isn't that big of an issue.

Just like last year, the Wiikey team came out with an update to support a higher-end DVD disc.

Several things could be going on here:

-NTSC Wii's require a system update to support the readability of Dual-Layer disc.
    -The Wiikey obviously wouldn't have support for a dual-layer, because no Wii games have come out as such. A simple update from the dev team can fix this.
    -If there is some new protection on it, a modified disc-image needs to be made, but current tools do not allow the dump of a dual-layer Wii disc.

The Wiikey isn't the problem here - it's only going to help the cause. It's not like the JP game is going to work on an unmodded NTSC Wii - no JP game does.

So this is what needs to happen:
    Someone needs to successfully dump the game. This will be difficult because of the new DVD form, but it can still be done.
    Someone needs to find out what the security on the game is, and modify the image to disable it.

A firmware update needs to be put out from the Wiikey team to support Dual Layer and/or simply workaround SSBB. This will be quite swift once we know what the actual security on the game is. The team is still alive and active.

12. platypusrme427

United States
    Has this game even been tested in a JAP wii yet with Wiikey? If it works, I believe you guys a correct about the region compatibility.

13. Seraph

United States
    So? There are a lot of NTSC-J games that do work on NTSC-U Wii's with Wiikey. I'm sure this is the reason why a lot of people are following this stuff, because they want to play it. If a dump was released the release thread would be filled with "Does it work on US Wii?"

Of course, now that we know the answer, the main issue isn't if it works on US Wii's anymore...

14. LordWill072284

LordWill072284 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    hey guys, just remebered that wiinja deluxe has dual layer support. there upgrade 3 and 4 has it i believe.

http://www.wiinja.com/index.php?contain=utils

wonder if ppl could try that in a wiinja, see if it reads, prolly not but worth something, list of things to try lol

15. HipN

HipN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Oh snap! I Just tried it and it's working!!

What you need to do is go into diagnostics mode or w/e it's called, put the Wiikey 1.9g disc in and boot it, after the update is done, eject the disc and place Brawl in, and then reboot in diagnostics mode!

Seriously... no offence but this video doesn't prove too much, except for the fact that the Japanese game can't be played on an NTSC-U machine. I mean come on now...

Oh and.... POW RIGHT IN THE KISSER!!! LOLWTFBBQ?

Ok I'm done.

16. platypusrme427

United States
    That could be worth a try, but I don't think this update was meant for dual-layer wii games persay. More for gcos dual layers.

17. Bob Loblaw

United States
    There's actually very few NTSC-J games that work on NTSC-U consoles. Could count them on two hands. What is there to even follow in this topic aside from a bunch of noob's theories?

18. xiaNaix

xiaNaix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Can anyone even confirm that the Wiikey (or any other chip) boots import ORIGINALS? It was my understanding that only backups from other regions would work.

19. zennoux

zennoux Member
    Newcomer

United States
    If I recall correctly, the Japanese games that I've seen that haven't worked at least showed up in the Disc Channel and only resulted in a black screen after selecting "Start Game." Also, the Wii can read DL discs. If you don't believe me go ahead and make a multi-boot GC ISO on a DL disc, it will work fine.

20. Seraph

United States
    I was just basing my info from this and I guess I'd call most of these posts in this topic, off-topic.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - WORKING, WIIKEY, *PROOF