1. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    well damn

2. collin

collin Member
    Newcomer

Seems to me that the problem is that the game, being DVD9, cannot be read because the US firmware isn't patched to support dual layer whereas the JP can. Of course, this wouldn't account for why a wiikey with dvd9 support wouldn't want to boot it. Seems like something that could be still fixed in the drivechip.

An attempt to dump would be appreciated Hellfromabove.

3. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States

LOL if he disabled the wiikey he wouldn't have region free and would eliminate any possibility of booting a NTSC-J game at all.

and just like xianaix said the wiikey doesn't have full region free anyway. And jap games don't usually work on US consoles. So it is probably a region incompatibility.

Also, GOLD does NOT mean DUAL LAYER! Where are you people getting that from?!? haha jeez.

4. Aoko

Aoko Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Well, now. Let's not jump on the OP. Everyone wants to play Brawl. But yeah, OP, did you do that?

5. H8TR

H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Like someone said in the comments. Try running the disc in GCOS to really see if the game is dual layered.

Edit: That wouldn't work.

6. Aoko

Aoko Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Maybe that's what the Wiikey team will do, then. A way to soft-activate/deactivate the Wiikey. Probably with a button combination via a firmware update or a config disc.

7. Twiffles

Twiffles танковые победы

Gambia, The
    LOL look how many people shifted from the "it works" to this one. Thank you for getting them off my back, and such. Good job, too.

8. MarvinMar

MarvinMar Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Sounds like this issue to me
    http://kotaku.com/349494/ssbb-shipping-with-showstopper-bug

The site mentions that Japanese retailers are getting notices that SSBB is shipping with a minor bug that displays an error message that the game cannot be booted. This bug is triggered by a SSBB software update. This bug doesn't actually affect the game, which can still be played normally if the bug is ignored. ORE-NO-WEB 3rd stated that such a bug might frighten many customers — even if they are given notice regarding it. This bug wasn't mentioned on the 2ch game store clerk's thread, so it could very well be bogus. Stay tuned!
    Bug Bros. Brawl [ORE-NO-WEB3rd

9. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    The disk is dual-layer, I'm convinced. This is why the game hasn't been dumped yet, because none of the chips/dumping software for pc dvd-roms have support for original dual-layers.

You can't boot the game using the Wiikey, so therefore you can't dump the game because in order to read the game you have to not be using the chip, and you have to be using the chip to get into the dumping software.

This also probably requires a system update from Nintendo Japan, which you have to download before playing the game. The update probably includes the dual-layer support.

That's my take on it anyway.

10. Dumari

Dumari Member
    Newcomer

United States
    as far as the chip being in stealth doesn't the chip have to be activated to change the region of the drive?

11. Aoko

Aoko Advanced Member
    Newcomer

With all due respect, I think you're in the wrong place. And even in the wrong forum.

12. HipN

HipN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    TRY DIAGNOSTICS MODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. go185

go185 GBAtemp Regular

Quick question. Did you try using the SMG boot disc thing for the wiikey? (You put in this disc, it will run and ask you to insert SMG, but instead of putting in SMG, put in Brawl and see if it works)

14. platypusrme427

platypusrme427 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say "I believe that an original copy of JAP Brawl will not work on NTSC-US consoles". It's kinda obvious that we need some way to alter the image.

15. Seraph

Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Perhaps it is because this topic actually has proof. And you have to admit, your posts(along with many others) in the other topic didn't contribute much [proof] and were just there to piss off the noobs. Again, we now have to wait for an NTSC-J with Wiikey to get some more answers.

16. MSW0

MSW0 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Lol "Nintendo has won."

17. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    This is getting crazy this may be "nazi-ish" but I think that instead of having 800 topics filled with speculation, all new topics regarding SSBB should be locked until a scene release is out. And discussion be kept in the "official ssbb thread". Moderators charge your lazuhs! [​IMG]

18. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    yall should just put down the speculation juice and pick up some let's-wait-for-more-info-aide

19. platypusrme427

platypusrme427 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nintendo really has surprised us all. I don't think anybody expected the game to flat-out not run on modded wiis with wiikey.

20. HisshouBuraiKen

HisshouBuraiKen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Does this really prove that much? Don't most chips have issues with out-of-region originals anyways? I'd wait to see a backup copy failing before freaking out - an unpatched one.

Also, wouldn't the LG drives used to rip wii discs be able to read the total disc usage/capacity to see if it really IS DL?

It's still early people. Chill out and wait for some more info.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - WORKING, WIIKEY, *PROOF