Misc SSBB error 86420

Narutoball

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wii can connect to my internet fine and never really seems to lose connection. its sitting about 5ft away from the wireless router and is connected on a wireless connection. If i got to wifi on brawl and wait for people to join a game...nobody ever does and then i get an error 86420.

I researched a bit about it and people say its to do with firewalls. I turned my firewall completely off and it didn't work =S i can't access my router page via IE or firedox since for soem reason the page never loads....can anyone please help me DX

this is soooooooo annoying.

Oh also i have a nintendo wifi connector...but if i try to connect the wii to it it just never connects and then i get an error such as 51002 or something..

help DX

Alerek

Trophies
Website
alerek.cjb.net
XP
Country
United States
I get it when I try a random anyone match when someone (presumably) joins...

And with a FC, right as I join the game or they try to, get the error.

I disabled all the firewalls, and that didn't seem to work.

halp!

.:Kurda:.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well i used to have this problem but since people are saying everyday nintendo is making new servers i tried it out and now i never have that problem.

tehCake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a similar problem. I can do spectator mode fine but when I try and host a friend code match my friend says there was an error and disconnection, when I try and join it says I get disconnected with error 86420 before I start anything. My friends can play other matches fine. Random mode doesn't work but I expected that, heaps of people have problems with that.

has anyone with my problem found a solution? I read that gamefaqs link and DMZ'd my wii, to no avail.

Please help, I'm desperate!

Nintenterd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Error Code: 86420 (WIRELESS ROUTER)

If you are getting error code 86420 only some of the time, chances are this is temporary and the issue will resolve itself. Due to the overwhelming popularity of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, everyone is wanting to play at once and we are seeing significant peak traffic loads.

If you are consistently getting error code 86420 and you are unable to make a connection with other players, the troubleshooting below may help resolve the issue. If the following troubleshooting doesn't help you, or you would like more specific assistance, please fill out our online form to provide us the details of your situation.

When does this error code appear?

Occurs Immediately: If the error code occurs immediately after selecting "With Anyone" from the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, our servers may be experiencing a high amount of traffic. Please try to connect again later.

Occurs when looking for a match: If the error code occurs after the matchmaking process has started, it is likely an indication of NAT negotiation problems. Try the connection again later. However, if the error still occurs regularly after matchmaking has been running, even for more than a minute, please read the following instructions:

Do you receive this error every time the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection attempts to find a match for you?
If you receive this error every time, please proceed to step #2 on this page.
If you receive this error only when playing a particular friend, then it is likely a problem with the friend's firewall settings on their connection. If possible, ask your friend to try troubleshooting on this page.

In order to solve this problem, you may consider adjusting your router's Port Forwarding settings*. Each router is unique, so consult the owner's manual for your router or contact the manufacturer for specific information on working with your router's ports. For your information:
If you are prompted for a device or profile name, you can enter anything you like (such as Wii, etc.).
The starting port to open is 1, the ending port to open is 65535 (or as high as the router will allow).
Protocols will need to be set to UDP only.
Set the IP address for the ports to forward to the same as the Wii's static IP address. If you don't know what the Wii's IP address is, the best way to determine it is by performing a manual setup:
How to manually configure the Wii's IP address:

The first thing you'll need to do is find out what IP address range you should be using. To do this:
Click the "Start" button in the lower left-hand corner of your computer.
Next, you will need to access the command prompt. To do this:
Windows XP users click "Run."
Windows Vista users click inside the search bar.
Type "cmd" into the box and press Enter.
Type "IPCONFIG/ALL" and press Enter. The IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS servers of the PC will be displayed.
The IP address you are going to assign to the Wii must be 10 digits higher than the PC's. (e.g., 192.168.1.100 becomes 192.168.1.110). The Wii and the PC must have different IP addresses. Make note of what IP address you will assign to the Wii. Enter in the exact same values for your Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Primary DNS and Secondary DNS. They must be the same for your Wii console and for your PC.

You will now need to manually assign this new IP address to your Wii console. For step-by-step instructions on how to do this, please click here.

After you perform the manual setup, the Wii will initiate a connection test. If the connection tests fails, then please review the values you entered. If you still cannot complete the manual setup, please give us a call at 1-800-255-3700 in the USA or Canada for assistance.

Ensure your router has the latest firmware installed. Visit your router manufacturer?s website and look for any updated firmware that may be available (these are typically found under "downloads" or by searching for your particular model number). Note for users with Netgear routers: The firmware for your router must be downloaded from Netgear's website. Using the "auto update" feature from your router settings page may not get you the most updated firmware.

Try disabling the firewall* (also called SPI firewall). Netgear routers have this setting located under the "WAN Setup" tab of the router settings page. Other routers usually have it located under the "Security", "Firewall", or "Filter" settings. It may be possible to keep the firewall enabled by configuring it a certain way. For assistance with configuring your router firewall, refer to the router instruction manual or contact your router manufacturer. The ports that must be open are UDP ports 1 through 65535 (or as high as the router will allow).

Try enabling the "DMZ" feature of the router and setting it to the Wii's IP address (see the instructions above on manually setting up the Wii's IP address).

The Error Code may be caused by connecting multiple routers together on your home network. "Chaining" multiple routers together may cause NAT negotiation problems. If you are experienced with configuring multiple routers together, then you will want to repeat the troubleshooting steps listed above for every router on your network. However, when setting up port forwarding and DMZ, use the IP address of the next device in the "chain" instead of the Wii's IP address.

A simpler solution that does not require configuring multiple routers would be to connect the Wii directly to the first router on the network (the router that is directly connected to the modem). If this first router is maintained by an administrator other than yourself, such as many routers found in office buildings, apartments, or dormitories, then you will need to contact the administrator for assistance.

If you are connecting via the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector, the troubleshooting above regarding multiple routers applies. Try connecting your PC to the first router on the network, or try using the configuration settings on this page regarding port forwarding, DMZ, and firmware updates to try and solve the connection problem.

Lastly, the error may be caused by a basic setting on the router that needs to be adjusted (such as the channel). Please review our general router troubleshooting.
If this troubleshooting hasn't helped you, or you would like more specific assistance, please fill out our online form to provide us the details of your situation.

*While Nintendo provides this information for our consumers' use, it is up to each consumer to determine what security needs they have for their own networks, and to decide how best to configure their network settings to meet those needs.

tehCake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that's nintendo's help page?
thanks, but i've tried all these things. my router doesn't have the option to open all UDP ports so I DMZ'd mmy wii under the impression that this was a workaround. My problem is not solved.

also, i've tried changing the channel and I don't have a "chain" of routers.

n4v3r1ck

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I get the error code 86420 just if im searching for a member with anyone after 6 mins orsomething, but if i find one, and play with him, i dont get any errors or probs as long as i play. If he (they) leaves, ad i have to search again i get this error again but just if im searching for a longer time (6 mins + ).
Is that a connection , server prob or what? I can play with friends without probs.

the legend of st

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time i play (with anyone) basic brawl, i get error code 86420. It never finds opponents for me. The server just keeps kicking me off. And it's not bad internet conection. I can still plat mario kart online with no problem. I can still go on the internet channel too. I have wireless internet, and make sure to turn off all computers before starting basic brawl. The only thing that works is spectator mode. It's quite annoying. Does it have to do with my firmware either? I'm at 3.3u . Can anyone help? Thanks!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/K-Gqyv0gkHc?si=nGlIcg7Lr7OPfc4a