SSB4 eShop copy won't load after 9.2 downgrade

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by coolbho3000, Jan 5, 2016.

1. coolbho3000
    OP

coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007
    Kikkoman Factory
    Hey guys, I'm back after a very long time. Very much a noob at 3DS hacking right now - the last time I was in the homebrew scene I had one of the original Acekards. Not interested in piracy anymore, as I have a paying job now, but I do like to play with my hardware. :)

I just downgraded my N3DS XL to 9.2 from 10.2. I have a legit copy of SSB4 (as well as a huge eShop library) with a lot of DLC and it is stuck on the "Nintendo 3DS" logo loading screen when I try to launch the game. Pokemon OR seems to work fine. Any idea what to do?

Last edited by coolbho3000, Jan 5, 2016
  2. Superbossboo

Superbossboo The Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    The Sm4sh update requires you to have an updated 3DS to use it. Install a cfw or Pasta with Firmlauch.

3. coolbho3000
    OP

coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007
    Kikkoman Factory
    Aha, that should have been obvious... I'm on a completely stock 9.2 right now. Thanks!

Superbossboo likes this.
  4. MegaHaxorus

MegaHaxorus Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2015
    United States
    I'm having the same problem with Fire Emblem if in my emunand. I can't use Pasta with emunand as far as I know, and the emunand on n3ds can't be updated past 9.5, so can rxTools open my game without getting stuck on the Nintendo 3DS screen?

5. Sang Nguyen

Sang Nguyen Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2013
    United States
    is there a way to update the emunand to 9.5?

6. Aroth

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    Since he has a N3DS, Firmlaunch does him no good (it only works up to 9.5 because of the emunand limit)

Set up emunand and update it to 9.5, then see below.

Use the 9.5 update cia package from that iso site and install it with sysupdated (recommend using the official 0.4.1 release to do so rather than the 0.4.2 version used for downgrading)

Now, to solve the 3ds logo hang problem, you will need to go to that iso site and find a fw spoofed version of the game update, then install it with DevMenu (not TitleManager/BigBlueMenu). This will overwrite the existing update with the patched one and allow the game to launch.

You can also use FBI to install it, but you will need to locate the update and delete it with FBI first before you install the patched update.

7. Superbossboo

Superbossboo The Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Phsst, I have 9.0 emunand on my N3DS XL and I can play Smash online just well with RXtools.

8. Aroth

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    phsst, you downloaded spoofed updates from that iso site didnt you?

9. Superbossboo

Superbossboo The Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Nope, downloaded from eshop by Hans on Emunand.

10. Aroth

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    Pretty sure the latest update was released after 9.6 so it should need a spoofed exheader, but since I don't play smash I will take your word for it.

Superbossboo likes this.
  11. MegaHaxorus

MegaHaxorus Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2015
    United States
    My physical copy of Smash with legit dlc runs fine without any firmware spoofing. 9.5 emunand.

Superbossboo likes this.
  12. Superbossboo

Superbossboo The Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Well technically, Emunand has firmware spoofing for updates. But yeah, same here. (Why use legit DLC if you have Emunand now?)

13. Aroth

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    Sort of. The only one that works fully is Gateway. All the others can only spoof up to 9.5 on the N3DS. Thats why if you just convert a newer game (like Tri Force Heroes) without applying the FW spoof during the process it hangs on the 3DS logo when you launch it. Same reason if you download updates for Tri Force Heroes from the eshop it hangs like that.

I think maybe you misunderstand what Firmlaunch is. It's not a"fw spoof", it is really just another name for emunand. Firmlaunch is what allows the CFW to load a firmware from the sd card instead of the NAND chip. For N3DS users this is still limited to 9.5 because we cant decrypt the 9.6+ firmwares yet.

Superbossboo likes this.