Square Enix's Studio Istolia shows off Project Prelude Rune

In 2017, we saw the announcement of Project Prelude Rune, a new game being developed by an offshoot of Square Enix; Studio Istolia. The project is being headed by Hideo Baba, known for producing many of the Tales of series games. Now, a new trailer has been released, giving us a glimpse at some footage of the upcoming RPG, where we can see that it appears to be an open world JRPG game. No localization has been officially announced, though the team working on the title want it to be "accessible" to fans worldwide, meaning we'll likely see an English version later down the line. Project Prelude Rune is a working title, with no given release window at this time.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
We'll see how this goes. I'm personally a bit sick and tired of the whole open world concept. I want my Jrpg's to be back a bit more linear like they used to be.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
This is definitely a new IP.
It might take a while until we'll see some decent gameplay footage, but I can wait.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The music and the scenes sure had a BOTW feel to them, lol :P

Might be interesting to follow what this might be, even though I don't have a PS4.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"In 2017, we saw the announcement of Project Prelude Rune, a new game being developed by an offshoot of Square Enix; Studio Istolia. The project is being headed by Hideo Baba, known for producing many of the Tales of series games."

Which tales games, the last few at least have been shit.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
We'll see how this goes. I'm personally a bit sick and tired of the whole open world concept. I want my Jrpg's to be back a bit more linear like they used to be.
JRPG games are always an open world games with restricted areas to follow the linear story since the NES era.

Missing Number

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i hear rune, but then i notice its not konami so.... its not suikoden......

unless.... they got suikoden under their banner now. Konami aint usin' it

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll take anything Hideo Baba has to offer. Love the art style, it's like a mash between Tales and Valkyria Chronicles. Both of which happen to be my favourite series.

"In 2017, we saw the announcement of Project Prelude Rune, a new game being developed by an offshoot of Square Enix; Studio Istolia. The project is being headed by Hideo Baba, known for producing many of the Tales of series games."

Did you skip Berseria? Because it's fantastic. Your taste is pretty shit otherwise, or jRPGs really aren't your thing. Zestiria was the only "bad" Tales game to date. Except maybe Tales of the World 1.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That last scene reminds me of something but I can't quite put my The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild™ on it.
Honestly, that shit is played out. Every single Final Fantasy does that shit. That "whimsical" STARE INTO THE DISTANCE OF THE WORLD YOU CAN EXPLORE shit. It's just an overused trope that implying Breath of the Wild did it first gives me the impression you don't play a lot of video games.

radrom

Content Creator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, that shit is played out. Every single Final Fantasy does that shit. That "whimsical" STARE INTO THE DISTANCE OF THE WORLD YOU CAN EXPLORE shit. It's just an overused trope that implying Breath of the Wild did it first gives me the impression you don't play a lot of video games.

You okay?

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Destiny, Innocence, Symphonia 2, Hearts, Graces, Xillia 1/2, Zestiria.

Did you skip Berseria?
He actually quit/retired with Namco before work on Berseria started. Though, regardless, it was a good game.

Honestly, that shit is played out. Every single Final Fantasy does that shit.
Well, in this case, I think it was a lot more BOTW than the other times that trope has been done, because it's a guy running up the flowing grassy hill, and looks off into the distance. It's very distinctly more "BOTW" rather than "FFIV" here imo.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, in this case, I think it was a lot more BOTW than the other times that trope has been done, because it's a guy running up the flowing grassy hill, and looks off into the distance. It's very distinctly more "BOTW" rather than "FFIV" here imo.
You mean the same running up to a cliff on a sunny beautiful day to see the view that is done in Final Fantasy XIV's ARR trailer? Again, it is an overused trope.

radrom

Content Creator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean the same running up to a cliff on a sunny beautiful day to see the view that is done in Final Fantasy XIV's ARR trailer? Again, it is an overused trope.

The one where they're riding on chocobos towards the horizon? That's not really the same as running solo up on a hill, stopping, and looking out over the landscape - not as close as what this PPR trailer shows.
Also, I'm interested to know what other games do this. Mind sharing a few others?

Last edited by radrom,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water