Square Enix used PS3 footage for FF XIII Xbox 360 advert

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 2,233
  • Replies 18
D

Deleted_171835

OP

Square Enix is in hot water today after Britain's Advertising Standards Authority caught it being sneaky with its Final Fantasy XIII marketing. Square Enix used the PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIII in commercials for the Xbox 360 version to make the graphics look "sharper" than they were.

This is bad news for Square Enix, having been embarrassed in a case of marketing mischief, but this is certainly good news for the Sony side of the console wars, with the ASA officially ruling that the PS3 version looks noticeably superior. Certainly superior enough to be used as proof as an official ruling against Square Enix.

"The PS3 image in video sequences appeared sharper and colours were more vivid than those of the Xbox 360," states the ASA.

Square Enix argues that the footage was from cutscenes and not gameplay, which makes it alright, but the rulers of Britain's advertising arena disagrees. The commercial can never again be shown in its "current" form in the UK, which is basically like closing the door after the horse is bolted, but there you go.

[/p]
This is stupid. There's barely any difference between the PS3 and 360 versions. The viewers wouldn't be able to tell the difference.​
icon11.gif
Via

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Although the graphics are clearly worse on the X360, it doesn't make a difference as it was the game/ story which was shit. Simply a case that the graphics on the X360 were shit too. I'm not surprised they didn't release a demo, if they had I wouldn't have brought it.

FMV... was like watching a Soap opera which went on and on...

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time I look at a graphics comparison between a 360 and PS3 game they look exactly the same except lighting. I will have to see this graphics comparison.
PS3 is actually less blurry looking, impressive, but not enough to alter someone to change their mind on buying this game. But PS3 also only uses 1 disc, but since I don't own a PS3 I will have to stick with the 360 version.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate what this world is coming too, everyone is so bitchy and so damn anal about everything. We lost our tolerance to just about everything and have so many weaknesses in our minds.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PrinceNOOB said:
The 360 version looks like crap /end.

Okay troll.

Really, they just did this so they probably wouldn't have to redo all the footage they wanted for the commercial in the Xbox version. There's no point recapturing all the footage just so you can show the graphics more "accurately". Even then, the PS3 has always had better looking games for multiconsole, but the difference is far from a huge leap.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Guild McCommunist said:
PrinceNOOB said:
The 360 version looks like crap /end.

Okay troll.

Really, they just did this so they probably wouldn't have to redo all the footage they wanted for the commercial in the Xbox version. There's no point recapturing all the footage just so you can show the graphics more "accurately". Even then, the PS3 has always had better looking games for multiconsole, but the difference is far from a huge leap.

I really couldn't have said this better myself.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
omgpwn666 said:
Every time I look at a graphics comparison between a 360 and PS3 game they look exactly the same except lighting. I will have to see this graphics comparison.
PS3 is actually less blurry looking, impressive, but not enough to alter someone to change their mind on buying this game. But PS3 also only uses 1 disc, but since I don't own a PS3 I will have to stick with the 360 version.
Well, I suppose the video you posted wasn't a really good one, because I can clearly see there's a difference between X360 and PS3 graphics, but I have to agree that there's really no point in making a fuss about this.

Also, as Guild already said, it's highly likely that they just didn't want to spend any time on making the exact same commercial with the X360 version of the game. It'd take a lot of time (and time equals money, so go figure). Besides, it's the exact same game except for the graphics, so there would really be no point.

And how often do you see commercials for multi-console games with the footage in each console's graphic resolution? That's right, never.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
omgpwn666 said:
The X360's run in a much lower resolution 576p vs the PS3's 720p, which is the point of this thread. When you actually run the game, the graphics are dire.

X360: 1024 * 576 = 589824 = pixels.
PS3: 1280 * 720 = 921600 = pixels

Which means the PS3 runs in a resolution 56.2% higher than the X360. That's no small difference.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Looking at the video omgpwn666 posted, I couldn't really tell a difference, but then again, it wasn't a good judge of difference as the video compression pretty much cancels it out.

I will say this though, after watching it, I still don't have any desire to play it.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Scott-105 said:
The graphics look EXACTLY the same. People are stupid sometimes...
I suggest an appointment at your opticians.

If that were the case, then the ASA wouldn't taken the action they have. In order to come to that conclusion, they would have had to study the game on both consoles in detail. A 56% increase in resolution is a big difference, with the differences being more noticeble as you increase the size of TV.

On a YouTube video on a 17" monitor the differences may look small, but when you hook the console upto a 40" HD TV the difference will be vast.

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
tk_saturn said:
Scott-105 said:
I suggest an appointment at your opticians.

If that were the case, then the ASA wouldn't taken the action they have. In order to come to that conclusion, they would have had to study the game on both consoles in detail. A 56% increase in resolution is a big difference.
Ok, maybe they're not exactly the same. They are VERY similar though. I don't know how they caught Square Enix. I've played through both versions, and I notice little differences.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
After looking at the video...I really dont see much off a difference between the two except the 360 version is a bit more blurry, SLIGHTLY more vivid colors on the PS3 end, and on the 360 version I saw a bit of an FPS lag.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Scott-105 said:

Nahh, there's definitely some discrepancies if you compare in-game screenshots. That Youtube video does a really lame job of comparing the two versions on account of its... cruddiness.

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FMV compression is noticeably bad on the 360 version playing on an HDTV. Compared to the in game graphics, FMVs are blurry and get blocky as all hell when there's a lot of motion going on PLUS there's always that low bitrate audio sound droning in the background (I always describe it as a metallic liquid flowing sound).

But meh, the actual story is lol. Someone was bored as crap to complain about something like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte