Square Enix unveils two new Final Fantasy mobile games, one of which is a remake of FFVII

Is one remake of Final Fantasy VII not enough for you? Square Enix seems to think so, with the announcement of Final Fantasy VII: Ever Crisis. The company revealed two different Final Fantasy mobile games, one of which is a prequel to FFVII, while the other is an all-encompassing remake of all FFVII related stories. Final Fantasy: The First Soldier is a battle royale with a story that takes place 30 years before the start of VII. It's a third-person shooter where you must defeat all other opponents in order to become the first SOLDIER. Releasing for iOS and Android, it'll be available worldwide sometime in 2021.

More traditional fans may be interested in Final Fantasy VII: Ever Crisis, which takes everything Final Fantasy VII related--Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children, Crisis Core, and more--and compiles it in a chapter-based RPG that retells it all from start to finish. Less information was given about this game, but it'll be on mobile platforms in 2022, with a trailer showcasing the graphics and a brief look at the presumably turn-based battle system.

In addition, today SQUARE ENIX announced two exciting new mobile games set in the FINAL FANTASY VII world. FINAL FANTASY VII THE FIRST SOLDIER is a battle royal action game set in Midgar before the events of FINAL FANTASY VII. As a SOLDIER candidate, the player will make full use of their magic and abilities in a battle for their survival. FINAL FANTASY VII EVER CRISIS is a chapter-structured single player experience which will cover the whole of the FFVII timeline, including the events of the original game along with all the FFVII compilation titles, as well as new story elements, penned by FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE story and scenario writer Kazushige Nojima, surrounding the origins of SOLDIER. More information on these two mobile games, FINAL FANTASY VII THE FIRST SOLDIER and FINAL FANTASY VII EVER CRISIS, will be announced at a later date.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, not only have they only just released only part one of FF7 Remake basically at the end of this gen, but they got FF16, these games, the Mana and Saga Frontier remakes in the oven...Not to mention all of the Kingdom Hearts stuff.

I mean, is the actual Remake itself ever gonna be finished at this rate? We're gonna get a remaster of 7 Remake with 4K support, and then we won't get Part 2 until the end of this gen at the rate things are going, and that's not factoring in that while COVID did ravage things economically last year, at the very least, what did get released was already spending time in the oven. Now, though, given what Phil Spencer has said about 2021 will feel like as far as a drought of new games, and how things are progressing the world, I really have to wonder what the future is for a remake on this scale.

The battle royale stuff can miss me. How are these companies making any money off of these projects, for starters? They have to invest some into development, planning, everything in between, and even if Fortnite isn't as popular as it used to be, I can't see today's generation ditching it to play a game set in a universe that, in their eyes, might be viewed as being from the "boomer era" to use their terminology.

And as for the FF7 spin-off games...I don't know why they can't just re-release those games? Not that I've heard much good about Dirge of Cerberus, but Crisis Core was one of the higher rated games for the PSP back in the system's heyday iirc.

Either way, I know Square Enix is a big company with lots of arms in multiple development studios, but I can't be the only one who thinks that maybe they might be stretching themselves out too far with all of these projects, especially if a good chunk of these are being developed internally by Square Enix itself.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never liked to playing the games like Rockman X Diva on mobile. The touchscreen is uncomfortable and annoying. I never imderstamd why they made mobile games and I dont underswtand how many games are free on mobile ? A hide that made them more profits for people to use it for free ? :sleep:

Last edited by spotanjo3,

Draexelion

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
2022? I mean cmon. Just don't tell us anything until a month or two before release. It's easier that way honestly.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Honestly that battle royale thing doesn't even look like the worst BR concept from the trailer. Mobile though... Shooters on mobile never work well, but unfortunately they get more players that way.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

ds34

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Man, not only have they only just released only part one of FF7 Remake basically at the end of this gen, but they got FF16, these games, the Mana and Saga Frontier remakes in the oven...Not to mention all of the Kingdom Hearts stuff.

I mean, is the actual Remake itself ever gonna be finished at this rate? We're gonna get a remaster of 7 Remake with 4K support, and then we won't get Part 2 until the end of this gen at the rate things are going, and that's not factoring in that while COVID did ravage things economically last year, at the very least, what did get released was already spending time in the oven. Now, though, given what Phil Spencer has said about 2021 will feel like as far as a drought of new games, and how things are progressing the world, I really have to wonder what the future is for a remake on this scale.

The battle royale stuff can miss me. How are these companies making any money off of these projects, for starters? They have to invest some into development, planning, everything in between, and even if Fortnite isn't as popular as it used to be, I can't see today's generation ditching it to play a game set in a universe that, in their eyes, might be viewed as being from the "boomer era" to use their terminology.

And as for the FF7 spin-off games...I don't know why they can't just re-release those games? Not that I've heard much good about Dirge of Cerberus, but Crisis Core was one of the higher rated games for the PSP back in the system's heyday iirc.

Either way, I know Square Enix is a big company with lots of arms in multiple development studios, but I can't be the only one who thinks that maybe they might be stretching themselves out too far with all of these projects, especially if a good chunk of these are being developed internally by Square Enix itself.
CC was my very first FF and got me into the franchise.
We'll see how Ever Crisis will turn out. Hopefully it isn't P2W....

Rafciu

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Final fantasy VII ever crisis looks like my cup of tea. I prefer turn based battle system rather than the one in FF VII remake. Im hoping that they gonna release this game for switch.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strong Final Fantasy XV vibes here... "let's develop like 6 things around this one hot property and then not spend time on perfecting the main product."

Mobile stuff is increasingly selling to a different audience, I.E. Japan at large, who care less and less to be tethered to a TV for their gaming. If they just focus on Playstation stuff its the same as abandoning Japanese FF fans (as Sony is making increasingly clear that they are abandoning Japan on PS5.)

Odds are this is like 15 Pocket edition and they will bundle all the episodes for a single price on consoles including Switch. That's years out though when the episodes are finished.

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me personally Ever Crisis it the remake FF VII should be. Same style just with updated look. I don't care for the action battle system of Remake. This takes me back to the original. Just how I personally feel.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.