Square Enix Threatens Legal Action Against Type-0 Fan Translation

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Densetsu, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Densetsu
    OP

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?
    Friendly Reminder: Now that Square Enix has made it clear that they don't want this patch circulating around, please do not ask for the patch in this discussion or anywhere on this forum. We're going to have to treat it the same as asking for a ROM. Thanks.​
    [​IMG]

The long-anticipated translation patch to Final Fantasy: Reishiki (Type-0) was released on June 9th by Sky and his team, much to the rejoice of its Nihongo-challenged fans. And then, the following day, Square Enix announced their own official localization of the game for the PS4 and Xbox One.

The timing of the SE-sanctioned localization announcement seemed almost too coincidental, and drew some raised eyebrows from the underground gaming community. Now, SE has taken a more direct approach:
    This could have been handled differently on both sides, but unfortunately it has come to blows and litigation. It looks like this could be the Final Fan-translation.

:arrow: Source
    :arrow: Sky's Blog Post
    :arrow: UPDATE: New Info Regarding this Story

07/19/2014: Thanks to gamecaptor for the heads-up.
    07/21/2014: Thanks to mkdms14 for the update.

2. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Just port the game to Vita and we're good, Square.

3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Once again proving it's not hip to be Square-Enix.

4. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Should be featured on the front page. In any case, I guess this slims the chances of Blood of Bahamut ever getting completed.

Attila13 likes this.
  5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I assume they're doing so because they would rather have people buy their own localization instead of people pirating the game and using the fan translation, which is understandable at least.

Phoenix Goddess and Skelletonike like this.
  6. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    I'm not sure how true this is, but I heard they took donations for the project, this could be why this has happened.

Silentsurvivor likes this.
  7. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Is it possible to find the patch until it is gone?? O.o

8. ken28

ken28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 21, 2010
    Gambia, The
    rule number one in the internet: the WWW never forgets.

9. Densetsu
    OP

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?
    I agree, can't exactly fault them for protecting their IP. But considering how successful the game was in Japan, I wonder why they waited until Sky's translation came out before they made any official announcement to localize it for the Western market. There was no solid indication of a Western localization until the day after the fan translation was released. I just feel like this legal BS could have been avoided had SE made it clear from the beginning that they were going to localize it, instead of waiting almost 3 years to make the announcement. If the translation patch had not been made available, it probably would've taken SE even longer to announce it.

jagerstaffel and goth2191 like this.
  10. ChaosBoi

ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

Feb 19, 2007
    United States
    California
    Though I am no longer a supporter of Square, they should have just localized it themselves when they had the chance instead of being so pissy about it. I understand that they want people to buy their HD port or w/e it is, but it's not like the fan translation is going to hurt them. For starters, it's on a system that most average gamers probably don't use anymore (usually the only ones I know that are still playing it are either pirates, or they just haven't gotten a Vita/3DS yet). In this day and age, a lot of people would rather get the newer version.

11. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Step 1: Don't localize the game.
    Step 2: Wait until fans, fed up with waiting for a localization that will never come, translate the game themselves.
    Step 3: Conveniently announce that you are actually localizing the game exactly one day later after the translation release, of all the convenient times.
    Step 4: Punish those loyal fans who spent hundreds of hours just doing what you refused to do so that you can rip off their translation and call it your own.

Good going, SE. You have totally earned my respect for portraying yourselves as greedy thieves.

12. Randqalan

Randqalan The Wheel of Time Turns

Jan 25, 2014
    United States
    Most likely not at all as I stated before I for one will not beleive it until I see it on PSN for PS4 or better yet a hard copy they have lied before who says they will not do it again
    What I think is real BS people who bought PSN or hard copy of FF-0 they made money because of the patch and they still act like bullies

Like I stated before real long time FF person here but no more
    I boycott them as of the notice until they straiten up or let Doom Train alone or both would be better ;)

I say without the old team members and even Sony selling stocks for SE soon might be the Final Final Fantasy :wtf:

13. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    The WaybackMachine (July 2nd) is your friend. For the topic of merging, see July 4th. I just scraped all the archives myself for preservation's sake even though I have no intent on actually playing the game.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

Nightwish, Randqalan and gamefan5 like this.
  14. Hand

Hand Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2011
    Brazil
    If patches and fan translations are not illegal, what can Square do against Skyblade?

15. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Way to be dicks, first wait for fans to translate it then release the game with the translated script, change some things and then say " No, we didn't copy their translation! Can't you see that X line is different?? "

Ahhh...

But lets say that won't happen but still Square Enix is a dick about THREATENING sky and his team.
    Hope SE didn't make you too much stress.

BAHIM Z 360, Nightwish and EZ-Megaman like this.
  16. Silentsurvivor

Silentsurvivor Banned

Banned
    Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    IMO they already knew this was coming, that's why they rushed to release the patch before the localization was announced. Now that the patch is out in the wild, removing it from their site is meaningless.

LoyalZero1 likes this.
  17. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    They own the original content and thus can send a cease and desist letter to Sky for using their IP. Is it fair? No. Can they do it based on the laws of many countries? Yes.

It's interesting to see the longer post regarding the matter

cearp likes this.
  18. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    I almost get the feeling Sony is going to do something like take the fan translation, and use it for their localization, and basically steal from the hard work of the fans. The fans should copyright the patch. They could do that at least. Right?

19. basf11214

basf11214 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    In the U.S., aiding and abetting a violation of someone else's copyright is itself a violation. Of course, there are things a translator can do to assert his/her rights (because people who create translations also own the copyright to the translation). For example, Skyblade could counter sue for an injunction against Square publishing the game in the United States (because it violates the translation teams' copyright).

JayRo likes this.
  20. Silentsurvivor

Silentsurvivor Banned

Banned
    Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I think it goes beyond a C&D because the patch is already released. The "damage" is done. I think the issue is that they took donations for translating the game and also had ads on their site. Sky stated:

So I wonder if they're gonna take it to court or something. I hope not.

cearp likes this.