OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Friendly Reminder: Now that Square Enix has made it clear that they don't want this patch circulating around, please do not ask for the patch in this discussion or anywhere on this forum. We're going to have to treat it the same as asking for a ROM. Thanks.​
tjxMUpu.png

The long-anticipated translation patch to Final Fantasy: Reishiki (Type-0) was released on June 9th by Sky and his team, much to the rejoice of its Nihongo-challenged fans. And then, the following day, Square Enix announced their own official localization of the game for the PS4 and Xbox One.

The timing of the SE-sanctioned localization announcement seemed almost too coincidental, and drew some raised eyebrows from the underground gaming community. Now, SE has taken a more direct approach:
"Unfortunately I’m forced to remove my posts and pages related to the popular Final Fantasy Type-0 fan translation project," says an announcement on SkyBladeCloud. "That’s right, certain game company thinks that threats and false accusations are the way to treat its biggest fans."

This could have been handled differently on both sides, but unfortunately it has come to blows and litigation. It looks like this could be the Final Fan-translation.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Sky's Blog Post
:arrow: UPDATE: New Info Regarding this Story

07/19/2014: Thanks to gamecaptor for the heads-up.
07/21/2014: Thanks to mkdms14 for the update.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I assume they're doing so because they would rather have people buy their own localization instead of people pirating the game and using the fan translation, which is understandable at least.
I agree, can't exactly fault them for protecting their IP. But considering how successful the game was in Japan, I wonder why they waited until Sky's translation came out before they made any official announcement to localize it for the Western market. There was no solid indication of a Western localization until the day after the fan translation was released. I just feel like this legal BS could have been avoided had SE made it clear from the beginning that they were going to localize it, instead of waiting almost 3 years to make the announcement. If the translation patch had not been made available, it probably would've taken SE even longer to announce it.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Though I am no longer a supporter of Square, they should have just localized it themselves when they had the chance instead of being so pissy about it. I understand that they want people to buy their HD port or w/e it is, but it's not like the fan translation is going to hurt them. For starters, it's on a system that most average gamers probably don't use anymore (usually the only ones I know that are still playing it are either pirates, or they just haven't gotten a Vita/3DS yet). In this day and age, a lot of people would rather get the newer version.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Step 1: Don't localize the game.
Step 2: Wait until fans, fed up with waiting for a localization that will never come, translate the game themselves.
Step 3: Conveniently announce that you are actually localizing the game exactly one day later after the translation release, of all the convenient times.
Step 4: Punish those loyal fans who spent hundreds of hours just doing what you refused to do so that you can rip off their translation and call it your own.

Good going, SE. You have totally earned my respect for portraying yourselves as greedy thieves.

Randqalan

The Wheel of Time Turns
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely not at all as I stated before I for one will not beleive it until I see it on PSN for PS4 or better yet a hard copy they have lied before who says they will not do it again
What I think is real BS people who bought PSN or hard copy of FF-0 they made money because of the patch and they still act like bullies

Like I stated before real long time FF person here but no more
I boycott them as of the notice until they straiten up or let Doom Train alone or both would be better ;)

I say without the old team members and even Sony selling stocks for SE soon might be the Final Final Fantasy :wtf:

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to find the patch until it is gone?? O.o
The WaybackMachine (July 2nd) is your friend. For the topic of merging, see July 4th. I just scraped all the archives myself for preservation's sake even though I have no intent on actually playing the game.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Way to be dicks, first wait for fans to translate it then release the game with the translated script, change some things and then say " No, we didn't copy their translation! Can't you see that X line is different?? "

Ahhh...

But lets say that won't happen but still Square Enix is a dick about THREATENING sky and his team.
Hope SE didn't make you too much stress.

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO they already knew this was coming, that's why they rushed to release the patch before the localization was announced. Now that the patch is out in the wild, removing it from their site is meaningless.

Reactions: LoyalZero1

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If patches and fan translations are not illegal, what can Square do against Skyblade?
They own the original content and thus can send a cease and desist letter to Sky for using their IP. Is it fair? No. Can they do it based on the laws of many countries? Yes.

It's interesting to see the longer post regarding the matter

Reactions: cearp

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I almost get the feeling Sony is going to do something like take the fan translation, and use it for their localization, and basically steal from the hard work of the fans. The fans should copyright the patch. They could do that at least. Right?

basf11214

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If patches and fan translations are not illegal, what can Square do against Skyblade?

In the U.S., aiding and abetting a violation of someone else's copyright is itself a violation. Of course, there are things a translator can do to assert his/her rights (because people who create translations also own the copyright to the translation). For example, Skyblade could counter sue for an injunction against Square publishing the game in the United States (because it violates the translation teams' copyright).

Reactions: JayRo

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They own the original content and thus can send a cease and desist letter to Sky for using their IP. Is it fair? No. Can they do it based on the laws of many countries? Yes.
I think it goes beyond a C&D because the patch is already released. The "damage" is done. I think the issue is that they took donations for translating the game and also had ads on their site. Sky stated:

I hope you understand, and as always I appreciate your support (that I might need more than ever in the near future)

So I wonder if they're gonna take it to court or something. I hope not.

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup