Square Enix reportes an impressive set of financial results

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by luke_c, May 18, 2010.

1. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Source.

2. waffle1995

Member waffle1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Square Enix needs to make more DS game.
    Like a mmorpg for DS. which is impossibe without lots of lags

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I would not mind seeing a breakdown between their self developed games and their publishing wing- watching many of the console releases they are doing fairly well as a publisher.

4. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Most likely there'll be something like this when the 3DS is out, seeing it has more power and all.

5. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    mmorpg for ds would be amazing..

case one - Phantasy Star Zero - probably made the best of all the limitations imposed by the Nintendo DS, and I love it (I bought two copies) but after spending over a hundred hours playing this game I can't help but be irritated by one very simple flaw that isn't found in the Phantasy Star multiplayer games since Dreamcast PSO v.1 through Phantasy Star Universe: You can't use item menu while moving. it's just not possible, and all they needed to do was integrate touchscreen controls to do it.

case two - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time - I don't understand why this game is so incredibly laggy when Phantasy Star Zero is fine. But then again, Sega designed PSO to be playable on a 56k modem, and to my knowledge Square never made online multiplayer games optimized for low bandwidth use.

limitations imposed by Nintendo - according to what i've read, Nintendo doesn't want people (or at least children) meeting strangers online, hence the friend code system. this would explain why it's not possible to directly communicate with anonymous players on the two games I mentioned above. only pre-set phrases can be used, which is good in one sense because that means they can integrate translation into the in-game communication, but makes it completely impossible to play with the same (anonymous) people by choice.

i can see multiplayer online gaming improvements in the future, but mmorpgs are going to be hindered or impossible to some degree unless nintendo's policy changes. and I don't see why they'd refuse to change that policy in favor of parental control and consumer choice if they want to tap the growing mmorpg market.