Square Enix News Round-up: Switch News, FF7 Remake Update, TWEWY, E3 2018, and more

HaloEliteLegend

Zzzz
OP
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
2000px-Square_Enix_logo.svg.png

Over the past three weeks, we've had a flurry of gaming news out of Paris Games Week and various financial briefings from major publishers. Square Enix has been among the companies making headlines. Fans are in anticipation of multiple projects at the publisher, including Final Fantasy 7 and Kingdom Hearts 3. Let's go over every major news story.

Financial Results

finance_budget-625x260.jpg

Square Enix reports strong sales numbers across the board, growing profits significantly year-on-year and making for a very successful performance in the market. Titles including NieR: Automata, Dragon Quest XI, and Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age are among those contributing to Square's glowing financial reports.

:arrow: Source

Square Enix and Nintendo Switch

pane1.jpg

As the games media has covered over the past many months, publishers have been impressed with the Switch's success and are developing plans to support the fledgling console far into its future. We now have similar recognition from Square Enix at their recent financial results briefing. They note the Switch's sales momentum, and describe Switch as an opportunity to create middle-range games. They also said they would be "aggressively" pursuing development for the console, and would not rule out any current or future IPs for Switch releases.

As reported extensively in September during Gamescom, Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata hinted at a possible Switch port of FFXV. Since then, he has stated that there are "no plans at this current time" for FFXV on Switch, but did say that the company is exploring possibilities, and that a Switch port using Unreal Engine 4 may be possible. In regards to Unreal Engine 4, Tabata mentioned that the Switch handled UE4 well. Unreal Engine 4 is being used for both Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3. For hopeful fans, don't rule out the possibility of a port yet -- Square Enix made similar remarks regarding a PC port of FFXV back when the game launched, and fans will now be receiving a PC port a little more than a year later. We could see a similar situation with the Switch.

Clearly, Square Enix is committed to supporting the Switch in a large capacity. The caliber of games the system will receive is yet unknown -- will we receive the likes of Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3? Or will Square's Switch efforts be in the vein of Octopath Traveler and Lost Sphear, with smaller mid-tier releases? Only time (and an E3 or two) will tell.

:arrow: Source 1
:arrow: Source 2

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Update

logo.png

Final Fantasy 7 is one of the most popular titles in the storied JRPG franchise. Since Final Fantasy 7 Remake was revealed back at E3 2015, fans the world over have been anxiously awaiting any drop of news regarding the development or release date of the remake. Over the past two years, we have seen middling news reports, multiple delays, and signs that the game could potentially be going into development hell. The last official news we've received as to the remake's release date is the following slide presented during a previous Square Enix financial briefing and a statement from Square Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda saying: "We plan to launch [these games] sequentially over the next three years or so."

credit-square-enix.jpg

Recently, however, there have been hints from industry sources that Square Enix will have an Final Fantasy 7-related announcement later this year, likely at the PlayStation Experience event in December. Interestingly enough, some online retailers have begun listing release dates on the game's pre-order page. Play Asia listed the remake's release date as December 2017, later changing it to "to be announced." GameSeek had an even more specific date of June 15th, 2018. Base, a UK retailer, listed December 30th, 2017 on their site. Given the lack of official information, it is likely that the December release date listings are a placeholder, however, GameSeek's June 15th listing is slightly more intriguing. With luck, we'll hear more about this project from the horse's mouth itself sometime soon.

:arrow: Source 1
:arrow: Source 2

Leaked Sequel to The World Ends With You, Exclusive to Switch

the_world_ends_with_you_logo_remastered_by_leafpenguinreturns-d990woc.png

Making the rounds right now is a Reddit post full of leaks related to Capcom, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, and Nintendo. Part of that post includes mention of a follow-up to 2005's acclaimed The World Ends With You on Nintendo DS, reportedly coming exclusively to Nintendo Switch. The World Ends With You was lauded for its art style, unique gameplay, and strong soundtrack, and was developed by the team behind the Kingdom Hearts series. Since its original launch on DS, it has been ported to iOS and Android. Characters from The World Ends With You appeared in Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance. Other than that, this game was mostly a one-hit wonder, making the prospect of a direct sequel quite intriguing. As with all leaks, do take this with a grain of salt.

E3 2018 Plans

e3-logo-new.png

Square Enix provided a quick teaser for their E3 2018 plans, describing their upcoming titles as "sharp," "powerful," and "well made." They did, however, mention that their lineup is unchanged from previous reports and that no big games are planned from now through March 2018. It also seems like the highly anticipated Kingdom Hearts 3 might miss next year's E3. Kingdom Hearts 3 was given a 2018 release window last July, but has yet to receive a concrete release date. Given that the game is slated for next year (although, it has had multiple delays in the past), it would seem odd for it to miss E3. Again, only time will tell what Square Enix's plans are.

Xbox One X Enhancements

zoom-xbox-one-x---les-photos-officielles-de-la-console.jpg

Square Enix will be supporting Microsoft's powerful new Xbox One X console through a series of 4K patches for their current games.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is first, offering three visual modes in its 4K patch, including a native 4K option and a high frame rate option. The patch will feature HDR support, spatial audio support via Dolby Atmos, and enhanced eye candy. In addition, Xbox One X owners who have bought the season pass will receive all the content in the "20 Year Celebration" edition of the game.

Two other Square Enix titles have Xbox One X patches: Final Fantasy XV and Life is Strange: Beyond the Storm. Xbox One X owners can download the 4K patch for FFXV now, while Life is Strange: Beyond the Storm will come at a later date. Both Rise of the Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy XV have seen substantial graphical boosts on the Xbox One X over the base Xbox One, living up to the Xbox One X's adage of being the "most powerful console ever."

Thank You For Reading!

Last edited by HaloEliteLegend,
D

Deleted User

An enhanced remake of the Switch exclusive The World Ends With You sequel soon coming to PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, IOS and Android!

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Chaosruler

HaloEliteLegend

Zzzz
OP
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this must have taken lots of time to post. Someone wants to be recognized. :)
Pfff am I that transparent ;o;

I remember reading the Wall Street Journal and my dad's business reports and seeing how beautiful the formatting was in both, and I always wanted to emulate that. Is it kinda weird that my drive to write articles is to format them to be really pretty?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pfff am I that transparent ;o;

I remember reading the Wall Street Journal and my dad's business reports and seeing how beautiful the formatting was in both, and I always wanted to emulate that. Is it kinda weird that my drive to write articles is to format them to be really pretty?
No, I wasn't trying to be negative by saying that. I just found it a nice change that the overall presentation showed more effort to the reader. :P

I mean not naming anyone but some people would have maybe just created multiple post or something and rushed the thread to just get it posted. You must have taken least a hour to get all this into one post formatted like you did with no errors. :)

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend

Zzzz
OP
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
No, I wasn't trying to be negative by saying that. I just found it a nice change that the overall presentation showed more effort to the reader. :P

I mean not naming anyone but some people would have maybe just created multiple post or something and rushed the thread to just get it posted. You must have taken least a hour to get all this into one post formatted like you did with no errors. :)
I didn't take that as negative at all! ^_^
This took a few hours out of my day, but I found it surprisingly more fun than I expected. I think I'll write s'more in the future! Thanks for the complement! :D

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't take that as negative at all! ^_^
This took a few hours out of my day, but I found it surprisingly more fun than I expected. I think I'll write s'more in the future! Thanks for the complement! :D
I mean if you want to, reminds me when @Chary used to write monthly news for game releases and such. Though you are nice volunteer. :)

No, but really, should I sell my PS4? e-e
Why? If you bought it to play games, just buy games to play on it. If nothing interest you, the sell it and be done with it. Why would you need to ask?:unsure:

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
I mean if you want to, reminds me when @Chary used to write monthly news for game releases and such. Though you are nice volunteer. :)

Why? If you bought it to play games, just buy games to play on it. If nothing interest you, the sell it and be done with it. Why would you need to ask?:unsure:
Because I bought it mainly to play RPGs and the Switch is getting them
(a lot from the list) so if I sell the PS4 and get a Switch I´d still have RPGs + the
Nintendo exclusive games (Mainly interested in Xenoblade and Mario Odyssey).

Last edited by AutumnWolf,

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Because I bought it mainly to play RPGs and the Switch is getting them (a lot from the list)
So if I sell the PS4 and get a Switch I´d still have them RPGs + Nintendo games (Xenoblade and Mario Odyssey mainly)
A lot of those RPGS are getting ports to Steam too, so there's that.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because I bought it just to play RPGs and the Switch is getting them (a lot from the list)
So if I sell the PS4 and get a Switch I´d still have them RPGs + Nintendo games (Xenoblade and Mario Oddysey mostly)
Switch "Getting new rpgs" Vs ps4 "has rpg games already" I mean the ps4 is here, been here for 4 years, has rpg games already. Switch Getting new stuff vs stuff that is already here. If you have all you want and don't care anymore, i say go ahead and sell it. Is not really anyone to tell you. You would have a switch with nothing to play at the moment vs ps4 with stuff to play right now. Maybe you could least wait until there is some release dates for the games you want or something? :unsure:

To be fair, most of the rpg games on ps4 also exist on pc, so if you was able to play them on pc, you won't need a ps4 anyway, didn't notice any console exclusive rpg games (unless you count the kingdom hearts collections) Hope that helps. :)

Reactions: AutumnWolf

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.