News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
siteid.jpg

The World Ends With You: Solo Remix is a port of the original DS game to iOS and Android, but ever since iOS 8 the game broke and was target of numerous rage reviews. SE claimed that it was working on a fix, but failed to deliver one even after 5 months since the release of iOS 8. This is what SE had to say:

“Upon examining the impact of recent iOS updates to the title, we determined that the affected areas were greater than originally assumed,” a representative told us via email. “We were working to address this matter, however, the title has been regrettably pulled from the Store. Square Enix is actively working with all related parties to make available the software update; however at this time, we are unable to communicate a clear and adequate timeline. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to determine a solution.”

The official website of the game has received a 404 treatment, indicating that this game has been abandoned. As far as the Android port goes, it's still available, but there are contradicting reports of users claiming the game crashes immediately upon start on Android 5 and needs a fix. My copy of the game does indeed crash on my Shield Tablet with Android 5.

Sauce

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess this is just another reason to give up on hoping for one of my favorite games of all time to get a sequel

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So basically they coded it so shittily major parts of it didn't survive a bunch of iOS updates. Sure, SE. Sure.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically they coded it so shittily major parts of it didn't survive a bunch of iOS updates. Sure, SE. Sure.

ISO 8 has been said to have broken just over 50k apps when it first went live so I wouldn't put the whole blame on SE, even if it is a hip thing to do these days. ISO 8 is like a brand new OS. 90% of iso's code was remade entirely for iso 8.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Use the standard and supported APIs in the way they were designed for: Your app will be future proof.
Do hacky programming with undocumented or obsolete methods, using the APIs in a way they were not designed for: Your app will break after one or two updates of the APIs.

That's life SE.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ISO 8 has been said to have broken just over 50k apps when it first went live so I wouldn't put the whole blame on SE, even if it is a hip thing to do these days. ISO 8 is like a brand new OS. 90% of iso's code was remade entirely for iso 8.
There's also like a million apps on the app store. Chances are they used API features in a way that was allowed, but not intended. iOS 8 probably just fixed that behavior, thus breaking all apps that used the API wrongly. Even though this IS Apple we're talking about, I REALLY, REALLY doubt they'd change the way the API works externally from update to update. Pretty sure even they're not that stupid.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure even they're not that stupid.

IDK. Google updates their APIs once a year. Plus I remember reading apple didn't intend for apps to be broken and were working on a.....Never mind, I just remembered while typing this, Apple did warn devs to switch to the updated APIs cause the old APIs allowed private info to be stolen from users.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
IDK. Google updates their APIs once a year. Plus I remember reading apple didn't intend for apps to be broken and were working on a.....Never mind, I just remembered while typing this, Apple did warn devs to switch to the updated APIs cause the old APIs allowed private info to be stolen from users.
API updates are not that weird, but usually you at least keep deprecated functions unless there's a really good reason not to (like security here). And often API updates just mean functions get added or maybe renamed, which would be an easy find+replace task. Removing functionality is rare for obvious reasons (breaking anything that relies on that functionality).

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Funnily enough. there's a fix for this on cydia.
To be honest, in this particular case that might not mean much. If they heavily used one specific feature that changed behavior on a system level that caused it to break, then there's nothing they can do on their end except rewrite the whole thing. Cydia tweaks have system level access though, so they can do a lot of things normal apps can't, and might be able to revert that to the old behavior or something. Of course it could also mean SE is just lazy, but in this case you can't really tell just based on the existence of a tweak that fixes it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...