Square Enix announces new game, titled Project Prelude Rune

JOeV3Am.png

Square Enix has revealed a new IP, tentatively named "Project Prelude Rune", which is to be developed by their new sub-studio, Studio Istolia. The game's development will be lead by former "Tales of" producer Hideo Baba, who has been hired as president of Studio Istolia. In the press release, Square Enix details that the word "Istolia" is Greek, and translates to "story", which is the main focus of the company. They plan to "provide unforgettable stories that will inspire players in their own lives, and bring new game experiences to everyone around the world".

Square Enix Group, an integrated entertainment company, announced today “Project Prelude Rune”, a new role playing game project, developed by STUDIO ISTOLIA CO., LTD. , a newly established studio in Tokyo.

STUDIO ISTOLIA further builds on Square Enix Group’s vision to create new intellectual properties alongside existing Square Enix studios. Hideo Baba who has over 18 years of experience in game development will serve as the studio head.

Hideo Baba is working as the producer of “Project Prelude Rune” as well. The project aims to build a new RPG with a new fantasy: unfolding across a vast land teeming with life. Nurtured by the earth, the many peoples of this land dare to dream, fighting for what is just—and this is their tale.

Further details on “Project Prelude Rune” will be revealed at a later time.

:arrow: Source

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
whats it for can any1 read Japanese?
"Pending Announcement". They also ask for application submissions for the company, especially programmers, so it appears the game is in a fledgling state right now. But it's safe to say PS4, Switch, and PC are safe choices to place one's bets on right now.

D

Deleted User

i hope it's something in the veins of what scalebound was going to be. getting tired of games that put dragons in the enemy/kill on sight focus

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Hideo Baba?? Uh... Well, we'll just have to see how this turns out. Tales of certainly isn't likely to be "Tales of" again any time soon after releases like Zestiria and Berseria, so maybe this game will have what it takes to take up the torch and give us a truly engaging battle system again.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In the press release, Square Enix details that the word "Istolia" is Greek, and translates to "story", which is the main focus of the company.

I don't claim to know ancient Greek, but a quick search showed me that it is "Historìa", which sounds a lot more familiar to me. Sure you can make the H silent, but please don't change the R to an L. It just makes you sound like a dumbass... As far as I know Greeks didn't have any problems pronuncing Rs.

Source Dictionary.com:
1350-1400; Middle English historie < Latin historia < Greek historía learning or knowing by inquiry, history; derivative of hístōr one who knows or sees (akin to wit2, video, Veda )

Edit: I started thinking maybe they referred to modern Greek, but there it is: ιστορία, which with my basic knowledge of the Greek scripture tells me that it is istorìa... Searching for ιστολία gives me nothing.

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: Grim Ripper

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't claim to know ancient Greek, but a quick search showed me that it is "Historìa", which sounds a lot more familiar to me. Sure you can make the H silent, but please don't change the R to an L. It just makes you sound like a dumbass... As far as I know Greeks didn't have any problems pronuncing Rs.

Source Dictionary.com:
1350-1400; Middle English historie < Latin historia < Greek historía learning or knowing by inquiry, history; derivative of hístōr one who knows or sees (akin to wit2, video, Veda )

Edit: I started thinking maybe they referred to modern Greek, but there it is: ιστορία, which with my basic knowledge of the Greek scripture tells me that it is istorìa... Searching for ιστολία gives me nothing.
Huh, interesting. I suppose they just bent the word to fit their need of it? Japan usually does weird things with L's and R's, I think.

gbatempfan1

Trophies
XP
Country
Good for Hideo Baba, he can pursue his vision on a new IP instead of having to bash Tales of into a powder, add water, and then mold it into whatever he is thinking up there. He knows how to do RPGs, he just never got the heart of Tales. You can watch his influence like cycles of the moon as it waxes and wains from Hearts to Xillia I/II to Zesteria to Berseria compared to the previous two titles of the flagship of the series: Graces & Vesperia.

Last edited by gbatempfan1,

Grim Ripper

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

Source Dictionary.com:

giphy.gif

Reactions: Zense

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all