Square Enix and Tencent team up to create new AAA IPs

seten.jpg

Major publisher Tencent and JRPG extraordinaire Square Enix will be partnering up in the near future, in order to create some new games and intellectual properties. Square mentions that through this alliance, they plan to develop some AAA titles, further their licensing of existing properties, and even create a joint-venture company between the two. A more specific explanation wasn't given, though both companies promise that more info is on the horizon. A partnership between Tencent, one of the largest gaming companies thanks to their strong presence in China, and Square Enix, known and beloved for their games and IPs is certainly an interesting development.

The alliance will enable us to couple our broad range of internet service capabilities to Square Enix Group’s superb creativity, and provide our customers with unprecedented content experiences on a global basis. Tencent Group and Square Enix Group share the vision of utilizing technology and creativity to deliver unprecedented entertainment experiences and services to a global audience.

:arrow: Source

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
KINGDOM HEARTS 3 chinese localization confirmed.

i think all Tencent got are the licenses to publish exclusively all SquareEnix's F2P mobile games on Tecent's network.

Last edited by leon315,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What has Tencent made that makes them big? I've never heard of them til now.
As mentioned they are more or less the Chinese answer to US style tech conglomerates in that they invest everywhere and in everything and buy up more. I still their biggest win though was getting people to pay for mobile access to social networks some years back, though Wechat (sort of China's answer to paypal if paypal was as useful as cash, and has the kind of transaction volume that could see them go toe to toe with the likes of Visa and Mastercard) is not a bad effort either. Their games push is a bit newer (started some 5 years ago but major pushes this last two) but they own massive chunks of a bunch of mobile games (Clash of Clans and Clash Royale being among the two), various stakes in everything from Ubisoft and Activision Bizzard (though minorities in those) to Epic (I think they are about 40% nowadays which I guess means Fortnite, oh and they at least have a taste of Pubg as well from another venture) to Paradox to the people that make Elite to the people that make League of Legends.

Reactions: DarthDub

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How do they know they are going to be triple A?!?
It says so in the statement.

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/2018/html/d84907a3a47a137b7d0b21bf9b62f088.html said:
alliance with Tencent Group. Outcomes of this newly created alliance include the establishment of a joint-venture company, co-development of AAA titles based on new intellectual properties, the licensing of existing intellectual properties, and more.

That reminds me though. I still had to look into the history of this AAA term.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.