nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
i have a job assesment coming up and have a choice of giving the test in sql or unix. i haven't ever used either of the two. which language should i learn?

languages i do know:
assembly
c/c++
and a tiny bit of c#

KDH

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Unix isn't a language, it's an operating system. I'm not really sure how to describe sql, as my exposure to it has been minimal, but you certainly don't write applications in it. I do know it's used to sort through and manipulate databases, and I think that's about it.

fateastray

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
SQL is hardly anything. You could learn it in 1 day. Most database management is through MS Access, and you need VB for that. So if they require SQL-knowledge, they probably want you to know VB too.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
fateastray said:
SQL is hardly anything. You could learn it in 1 day. Most database management is through MS Access, and you need VB for that. So if they require SQL-knowledge, they probably want you to know VB too.

that is rather naieve, very little actually uses M$ access databases, even microsoft doesn't (they make their own flavour of SQL). access is really only used for small databases as it doesn't support more than a few (some would argue one) concurrent users. most database stuff is SQL these days, and a lot of it runs on unix systems.......

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
yeah i'd obviously be doing one of the data base programming languages on unix (not sure which one yet).

but it seems like more people are supporting sql right now.

btw after this initial assesment they'll go on to train me in c# and .net. now .net is a microsoft thing. so it might be better if i stick with sql for now. instead of unix thing.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I think it's a trick question. If they plan on having you learn microsoft-licensed languages, choosing the unix quiz will mark you as one of those subversive leftists who code this terrorist OS!

Trolling aside, brush up a bit on SQL, it's SUPER easy if you can already code in a C-family language. I mean, in one day, you can be familiar with the basics and a few funky operators. I doubt they'd quiz you on the really ugly stuff.

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
thanks for the quick replies guys. sql it is. guess i'm still reeling from the long tense interview i just had.

this thread is now about the stupid questions they ask in those interviews and logic tests.

why does a mirror reflect left and right and not up and down... yes they actually asked that.

m-p{3}

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
fateastray said:
MS Access databases are only used for a small amount of users through a company. I wouldn't rely on it for business-critical information storage. If you want to build something that could be used corporation-wide, you'll have to go with something more serious.

Oracle
PostgreSQL
MySQL

jesuschristmonke

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
fateastray said:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Many SQL DBAs aren't VB devs. And SQL is a big deal. It pays well around these parts.

And it is difficult to learn everything from joined queries to stored procs, impossible in one day.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nin10do said:
thanks for the quick replies guys. sql it is. guess i'm still reeling from the long tense interview i just had.

this thread is now about the stupid questions they ask in those interviews and logic tests.

why does a mirror reflect left and right and not up and down... yes they actually asked that.

wtf....

a mirror will always reflect a beam of light so that the incident ray and reflected ray form the same angle to the surface normal, no matter the direction. that is the basic law of specular reflection. I really don't get what they want
unsure.gif

m-p{3} said:
fateastray said:
MS Access databases are only used for a small amount of users through a company. I wouldn't rely on it for business-critical information storage. If you want to build something that could be used corporation-wide, you'll have to go with something more serious.

Oracle
PostgreSQL
MySQL

QUOTE(jesuschristmonkeyballs @ Jan 14 2009, 05:58 AM) QUOTE(fateastray @ Jan 13 2009, 10:23 AM)

You have no idea what you're talking about. Many SQL DBAs aren't VB devs. And SQL is a big deal. It pays well around these parts.

And it is difficult to learn everything from joined queries to stored procs, impossible in one day.

thank you... as I tried to explain, only tinpot companies use MS Access databases.

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
UltraMagnus said:
nin10do said:

wtf....

a mirror will always reflect a beam of light so that the incident ray and reflected ray form the same angle to the surface normal, no matter the direction. that is the basic law of specular reflection. I really don't get what they want
unsure.gif

yeah it was just one of those stupid questions. they were like if you hold up a newspaper to the mirror the writing is reversed (left to right) but not inverted (up and down)
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I use to have a guy for that thanks richard