Spoilers don't really spoil anything

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Shinigami357 said:
Timeline of reveals? Tell me, truthfully, when you look at something, do you immediately see everything? No, you don't. This has been proven scientifically. The human eye is designed to wander all over the subject, taking in details with every "sweep" [for lack of better turn]. It's innate in humans not to take in everything they see in one go. It's a hard-wired thing, you can't even deny it.

I actually have a first class degree in Visual Optics and another in Biology so we can play hardball about the science of vision and the neural pathways involved if you wish....
tongue.gif

When viewing a painting is it important to the whole piece to see the details in a particular order? If so how would the experience change if you saw it in the wrong order first? Ultimately your impression of that painting remains the same and you appreciate it in the same way.

With a book or film, if you started from the end and worked your way backwards would that ruin it? Yep.

Memento...

nuff said...

jk
tongue.gif

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
based on shinigami's last post. i'd say it depends on how deep someone is involved in it.

if you don't care much about the character, then him/her dying wouldn't matter much to you.

personally, i don't care about mona lisa not having eyebrows and how many strokes it took him to finish.
but i know some people would be surprised about that fact.
BUT, it still does not equate to a spoilers effect in a particular story.

also about turning the trigger on. can you make yourself forget what you already know and remember it later? timing, is, important.

also, others already said, it's not entirely ruined but the pleasure isn't the same like how it should be.

i knew what happened at the ending of code geass, so i didn't cry or felt sad, like you said, i just wanted to know how and why, whereas my siblings cried. see? it isn't the same.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narayan said:
based on shinigami's last post. i'd say it depends on how deep someone is involved in it.

if you don't care much about the character, then him/her dying wouldn't matter much to you.

personally, i don't care about mona lisa not having eyebrows and how many strokes it took him to finish.
but i know some people would be surprised about that fact.
BUT, it still does not equate to a spoilers effect in a particular story.

also about turning the trigger on. can you make yourself forget what you already know and remember it later? timing, is, important.

also, others already said, it's not entirely ruined but the pleasure isn't the same like how it should be.

i knew what happened at the ending of code geass, so i didn't cry or felt sad, like you said, i just wanted to know how and why, whereas my siblings cried. see? it isn't the same.

again with the "not caring" bit... It's not that it "doesn't matter" if someone dies. It's that knowing ahead of time doesn't diminish our appreciation of the story/character/plot. Too often events are written in either for shock value or "cheese factor" and not to better serve the characters/story/plot.

Example (do not read if you haven't seen The Town):
is he going to get away with it?
will he be caught?
in that case it was a plot twist for him to get away with it since his actions leading up to the last few minutes suggested he was preparing to get caught or turn himself in, or even attempt to save his buddy and potentially die in the process...which in my opinion would have made for a far better ending... Instead, Ben Affleck stands idly by and watches his buddy, the guy who did a stretch in prison for him, get gunned down...and then makes his way, scott free, to the bayou. All so they could have the "Happy Ending". That "twist" imo was a disservice to the characters and the story. (still a good movie though
wink.gif
)

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Narayan [and everyone else, really]

We can continue this the whole day, and we'll all come back down to our basic disagreement - you think a spoiler ruins the initial moment; I think you allow the spoiler to ruin it. We'd be in a circular argument.

Let's just agree to disagree, and move on [plus, it's 5am here and I need to sleep soon if I'm to make the 11PM football match on TV wide awake].

PS
Can you make yourself forget? On the surface, yes. Deep down [esp. in the unconscious], no.
Just an observation. Before you watched the ending, did you know [or at least guessed] that your siblings would react like they did? If yes, then that shows that you have spoiled it for yourself, because in knowing how people would react, it's a reflection of how you would react. The fact that you didn't meant that inside you, the moment is gone. And that's what really matters, if the moment can hold inside you.

Also... This is prob the best way to illustrate how one small thing can ruin everything if we act on it: For want of a nail

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
well, that spoiler certainly did nothing but data for me. that's kinda what i mean.
i'm not attached to that story so it seems like i'm just "collecting data".

if i have not cared about and believed in
kamina.....his death
wouldn't have affected me as much as it did.

@shinigami, no i didn't. i was just watching for myself really, they wasn't as into it like me, but they know who's who. and the moment is gone....yes? i think that was what i(and some others, i think) was talking about.

an example would be:
spoiled:
"oh that guy died? how, i need to watch it asap." *reads* "so that's how it is"

unspoiled:
*whilst reading* "what the, why? how?" *continues reading* "damn i didn't expect that, it should've been like this."

though the above isn't the case all the time.

P

pasc

I gotta admit even thought I knew
Zack would
die at the end of Crisis Core
Aeris
would be sabbed by Sephiroth at the middle of the game
and Akai
would be shot by Kir in Episode 504 of Meitantei Conan and later return miraculously like a bada**

it didn't loose any tension at all for me.

All the difference, Crisis Core had tension due to the middle of the game DUE TO knowing he would
die
same goes for the other two examples.

This post reminds me of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EavsMiFfCy8...feature=related (4:24)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Knowing Zack would die really isn't a spoiler unless you were a sheltered under-a-rock child who never played FF7 and then randomly decided to play Crisis Core, lol.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
My bro spoiled Layton and the Unwound Future for me when I was just at the beginning, and as of right now, I don't even touch it anymore. I hate spoilers, unless I bring it upon myself.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hate spoilers.
Not because the dramatic reveal is ruined, but because I can't fully enjoy trying to figure out the surprise myself.

Some spoilers are certainly worse than others of course.
Spoiling anything in a mystery story of any kind completely ruins it.
They're set up so you can try and solve it on your own, dropping hints and misleading you throughout.
There's no fun in trying to solve it yourself before the reveal if you already know the answer.
You can still try and figure out how/why the result occured, but knowing the result is a huge giveaway that makes solving it super easy.
It might even make you over-analyze certain things and make the reveal unsatisfying.

Spoilers in other things vary a bit.

The Harry Potter thing isn't too bad. It's a very minor event in the grand scheme of things and it's not like the book spends the majority of it's story hinting and leading up to it.

Same with Aeris. Just a spur of the moment event. The aftermath is the main pull there.

Spoiling the ending to any Professor Layton game is pretty bad. The ending is of each game's story is like a puzzle in and of itself. To spoil the ending is to spoil the largest puzzle in each game.

Spoilers aren't necessarily the end of a good story/game/whatever, but they certainly can be depending on what they spoil and the kind of story/game/whatever.

P

pasc

Hells Malice said:
Knowing Zack would die really isn't a spoiler unless you were a sheltered under-a-rock child who never played FF7 and then randomly decided to play Crisis Core, lol.

Well, I kinda wanted to play it in the right order, thats why I never really bothered.

QUOTE(OtakuGamerZ @ Aug 13 2011, 08:57 AM) "How it happened" mystery stories should never be given away. I want my mind-fuckery.
"The traitor" who out of nowhere screws everyone over. I'll enjoy flipping off that character every time.

With that being said I never want spoilers. Simple as that.

Somehow this totally cracks me up xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)