Hacking Splitting already installed files with multiMAN?

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
A few games that I installed on the console's internal hard drive has files larger than 4 GB. It's typically just one file in a given installed game. Does multiMAN have an internal feature to select one such file and split it (and expect it to still work as if it wasn't split), or do I need to transfer the file to my computer?

If I do have to use a program on my computer, will "Split4G" work (with setting filename.666##) work for this pieces of a larger PS3 game?

I would prefer to be able to use an internal feature, because my USB drives are all FAT32 meaning I would have to use that slow FTP connection to get the files onto the PC to split.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few games that I installed on the console's internal hard drive has files larger than 4 GB. It's typically just one file in a given installed game. Does multiMAN have an internal feature to select one such file and split it (and expect it to still work as if it wasn't split), or do I need to transfer the file to my computer?

If I do have to use a program on my computer, will "Split4G" work (with setting filename.666##) work for this pieces of a larger PS3 game?

I would prefer to be able to use an internal feature, because my USB drives are all FAT32 meaning I would have to use that slow FTP connection to get the files onto the PC to split.
You can use multiMAN to copy a game from the hdd0 to usb0; it'll split it because the usb drive will be on FAT32.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes it split and join big files automatically. Alternatively, wired connection is much faster than USB thru FTP and does not need splitting and tend to bug a lot less (or not bug at all). The new versions of filezilla and multiman like to work together it seems.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good to know. Maybe what I can do is just copy to a thumb drive the specific files I want split and then copy them back... or would multiMAN just join the split files internally?
Ooh, not sure about that one. File management on mM can be done from the mmOS (select+start) and I would assume that any file larger than 4GB would be split if transferred from the internal to usb storage, but I don't know how useful those split files would be. When you copy a complete game from the internal to the usb storage, the files are split in such a fashion that they can be be pieced back together into the hdd or possibly even played as a "split game."

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Yes it split and join big files automatically.

I double checked that, ripping a PS2 game on the computer and then splitting a .iso into .iso.666** files and then putting it onto the PS3 and it seems to read the file correctly and they are still split. Of course, until I can actually load PS2 games discless I won't know for sure.

In any case at least my main concern is pretty much resolved. I was worried about the process of moving to a larger hard drive in the future which would require FAT32 for the system backup, but would want to backup with multiMAN after to the same drive. If it will automatically splits the files I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm going to wait until this drive comes down in price. A 1 TB solid state drive for less than $600! SSD has finally caught up with the maximum capacities of magnetic storage, and since it runs cooler it would be better for use inside a PS3. Even though my first generation console was hard modded to run cooler I don't want to tempt fate.

Alternatively, wired connection is much faster than USB thru FTP and does not need splitting and tend to bug a lot less (or not bug at all). The new versions of filezilla and multiman like to work together it seems.

Is there a guide to a direct connection via FTP? Without going through the router? My laptop has an Ethernet port and I have an Ethernet cable. The wireless FTP takes far too long, and when trying to transfer the console would shut itself off long before it could ever finish. Or rather it did: last night I found the setting in multiMAN to disable auto shut off. Apparently I had to disable it in multiMAN and in the main system settings.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a guide to a direct connection via FTP?
you need a crossover Ethernet cable (not a straight one), then manually set the ip address for both the ps3 and your comp.

edit: Auto-MDIX (software crossover) is common on gigabit network controllers so you can always try with a straight cable.

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
you need a crossover Ethernet cable (not a straight one), then manually set the ip address for both the ps3 and your comp.

edit: Auto-MDIX (software crossover) is common on gigabit network controllers so you can always try with a straight cable.

Ahh. OK. It's been a good 12 years since I took a computer networking class, but I should remember how to do that. lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte