Splinter Gear Solid 4?

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by cenotaph, Oct 23, 2007.

Oct 23, 2007

Splinter Gear Solid 4? by cenotaph at 7:09 PM (697 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. cenotaph
    OP

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Here's one of the new gameplay trailers for MGS4:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26746.html

Is it just me, or does it play a lot like Splinter Cell? The camera is essentially the same, for one. Previous Metal Gear Solid games have kinda forced the topdown view which has been all from a minor annoyance to major frustration, so this is a pleasant change, but I think this goes to prove how much better gameplay SC has (or had, seeing as MGS technically has it now too).

What do you think?

Edit: also, the frame rate is fucking awful in the segment where there's a lot of action going on: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26752.html

2. SynGamer

Member SynGamer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    MGS3: Subsistence added a third-person camera...

3. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

Looks like a major disappointment to me [​IMG]
    Where's the infiltration? It looks like a battlefield... everything we've seen so far is basically Snake fighting random soliders in the street...
    the game looks dull (in terms of graphics/colours) uninteresting and boring so far!
    I hope I'm wrong though because I've always been a huge fan of the MGS series.

4. cenotaph
    OP

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That's possible. I never played Subsistence because one playthrough of MGS3 was quite enough for me. Two things:

(a) it wasn't default in Subsistence, more of a compliment to the standard camera. It's standard here, further cementing the eerie SC feeling I get watching this trailer.
    (b) SC was around before Subsistence.

5. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
    I never understood the continued furore over the MGS series. I much prefer Splinter Cell.

For the record, the controls in MGS2 sucked balls, the bad guys are cheesy and the cutscenes are over-stretched, long-winded, pompous and filled with the usual crappy pseudo philosophy prevailent in Japanese RPGs.

MGS sucks balls!

*runs for the hills*
    "It sucks balls!"