Splinter Gear Solid 4?

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by cenotaph, Oct 23, 2007.

1. cenotaph
    OP

cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

Oct 24, 2006
    United States
    Here's one of the new gameplay trailers for MGS4:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26746.html

Is it just me, or does it play a lot like Splinter Cell? The camera is essentially the same, for one. Previous Metal Gear Solid games have kinda forced the topdown view which has been all from a minor annoyance to major frustration, so this is a pleasant change, but I think this goes to prove how much better gameplay SC has (or had, seeing as MGS technically has it now too).

What do you think?

Edit: also, the frame rate is fucking awful in the segment where there's a lot of action going on: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26752.html

2. SynGamer

SynGamer GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2006
    United States
    New York
    MGS3: Subsistence added a third-person camera...

3. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    Looks like a major disappointment to me [​IMG]
    Where's the infiltration? It looks like a battlefield... everything we've seen so far is basically Snake fighting random soliders in the street...
    the game looks dull (in terms of graphics/colours) uninteresting and boring so far!
    I hope I'm wrong though because I've always been a huge fan of the MGS series.

4. cenotaph
    OP

cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

Oct 24, 2006
    United States
    That's possible. I never played Subsistence because one playthrough of MGS3 was quite enough for me. Two things:

(a) it wasn't default in Subsistence, more of a compliment to the standard camera. It's standard here, further cementing the eerie SC feeling I get watching this trailer.
    (b) SC was around before Subsistence.

5. jimmy j

jimmy j Awesome for hire.

Apr 22, 2007
    the congo
    I never understood the continued furore over the MGS series. I much prefer Splinter Cell.

For the record, the controls in MGS2 sucked balls, the bad guys are cheesy and the cutscenes are over-stretched, long-winded, pompous and filled with the usual crappy pseudo philosophy prevailent in Japanese RPGs.

MGS sucks balls!

*runs for the hills*
    "It sucks balls!"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice