1. 3,221

Front-page
    splinter_cell.jpg

Splinter Cell
    is finally getting revived but not in the format we're used to. Indeed, rather than a new video game installment, the series will be adapted into an anime for Netflix. The news of the partnership between Ubisoft and Netflix for this project comes from an exclusive Variety report. Note that the report mentions as the adaptation as an "anime series" rather than an "animated series", but no mention of any Japanese studios for the production was mentioned.

What is known is that Derek Kolstad, who wrote for the John Wick film franchise, will work as writer and executive producer on this Splinter Cell adaptation. Variety also mentions that "the series has received a two-season, 16 episode order at the streaming service".

Official statements from Netflix and Ubisoft have yet to be made but we'll likely hear more shortly.

:arrow: SOURCE

2. Discussion (33 replies)

3. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    A Splinter Cell anime?

What's next? Are we gonna get a Call of Duty anime? How are they going to fit waifus into this!?

DSwizzy and Owenge like this.
  4. yoyoyo69

yoyoyo69 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Atleast if it gains a decent amount of exposure, there's a better chance if finally having a market Ubi deem financially worthy of a game.

The trouble is, with it being a tv show, an animation at that, I can see the games becoming even more casual.

5. TomRannd

TomRannd GBAtemp's clown.

Canada
    lol i am so disappointed in society,

6. Silent_Gunner

United States
    WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY

BOTTOM TEXT

DSwizzy, banjo2, E1ite007 and 2 others like this.
  7. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    I want Michael Ironside to voice Sam. But I have Netflix, so I can't hear that sweet voice.

Jonna likes this.
  8. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Definitely an odd choice for this game series more than most. Considering how Tom Clancy is attached to it, I've always thought of it as concretely "Western."

9. TomRannd

TomRannd GBAtemp's clown.

Canada
    lol maybe ubisoft realized trackmania isn't doing them any good so they are deciding to make anime.

10. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

Japan
    Spinter Cell? Surprised they went for that Tom Clancy game instead of trying to squeeze every drop out of Seige.

UltraSUPRA and Silent_Gunner like this.
  11. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    well lets hope this makes a new splinter cell game happen, it has been 7 years since the last game :S

well if there is an ip without any waifus is splinter cell lol, everything is too serious and too regular looking, hopefully they wont turn it into an full action anime and prioritize the stealth and such and not just guns galore and epic action scenes.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  12. Silent_Gunner

United States
    If there's any series that could fit waifus into it, it's a very similar series that was running alongside this one...

(This has to be my favorite rendition of the theme!)

13. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    mgs is full of waifus lol, their presentation are totaly diferent, i could much more see an anime based on metal gear rather than splinter cell tbh.

14. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

Canada
    Anna Grimsdottir is waifu

Also yeah, while the stories are interesting in the Splinter Cell series, I play them for the gameplay, so I don't know about this.

15. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    same i always play splinter cell games for the gameplay and im a huge fan but if someone actualy asks me the overal story i have no idea lol, the fun part is doing the mission the narrative sometimes gets lost as all i want is to go back into the map and hide in the shadows :P

Jonna likes this.
  16. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Portugal
    I'm gonna laugh if it'll still have "Tom Clancy's" in the name.

UltraSUPRA likes this.
  17. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun GBAtemp Regular

Uruguay
    Splinter Cell is probably among the last games i'd expect an anime adaptation from, but if it worked for castlevania, it might for Splinter Cell

18. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

United States
    Anime is an abreviation for Animation or Animated. It don't matter where it is drawn, unless we are talking Japanime in which case it must be done in Japan.

banjo2 likes this.
  19. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Weeeeellllllllll.... Shoot... They killed him for me in the latest game... His gruff, ruff n tuff voice was replaced by someone who wants to sell you cologne.. I do wonder how they'll do this, though.

20. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    So no Metroid anime yet... I'll pass!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Anime is widely refered to Japanese drawn animation. It kinda matters where is drawn because animations from japan are anime, everything else is anime-like.

21. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA Six Feet at Most

United States
    I've never played a Tom Clancy game, nor have I read the books, but who looked at Ubisoft's last E3 press conference and said "You know what that needs? BAKA"

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - reportedly, Splinter, Netflix