Splatoon Girl Hand Gesture Removed from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Deemed "Offensive"

On the recent update of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe v1.1 Nintendo has removed the hand gesture of Splatoon Girl because some people might feel offended by it.

inkling-mario-kart-656x369.jpg

This is insane. Even Mario Kart isn't safe from what this or that might be considered "offensive." :(

Splatoon Girl was only doing the hand gesture "YES!" and this is deemed unacceptable.

For those that may defend the censorship, there are people who may indeed find it disrespectful but that's them and in real life, this is a fictitious, harmless video game that should be left alone from being censored.

:arrow:Source: Nintendo Everything

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can think what you want. Doesnt mean I'll respect your thoughts seeing as how they're literally insane.
"Oh no! The communists!" You're 40 years too late.
lol, yeah sure.
40years too late and before I forget it: We reached the end of history ;)
You life in a dream world from 10-15years ago...

Last edited by VitaType,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you find that hard to believe?
B/c 5 years of age is abit early for these kind of games in terms of difficulty of actually knowing how to play it. Eh sure it targets kids but 6 or 7 would seem an accurate start
unless the child is a genius in racing games at a early age I shrug.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
B/c 5 years of age is abit early for these kind of games in terms of difficulty of actually knowing how to play it. Eh sure it targets kids but 6 or 7 would seem an accurate start
unless the child is a genius in racing games at a early age I shrug.
I would have agreed with you maybe 10 years ago, but now I see kids as young as 3 and 4 using iPads and phones, and somehow mastering them. It seems kids got smarter with technology recently, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some one even younger than 5 already playing these games.

UncleHeffy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it doesn't mean the same thing in Japan, but most other places it means "F you" essentially.

Still, a silly thing.

D

Deleted User

OP
I've always seen this gesture as a way of saying "look how strong I am", since the hand is above the bicep that is being flexed.
The 'flipping off' gesture is when you get your wrist between the arm and forearm, along with a closed fist.
The latest one is not only present in western culture, but also in Japan. I've seen multiple pictures of japanese highschool hooligans making this gesture. It was probably imported by them into their culture.

Velanator

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people get so offended? Oh no, you were basically just flipped off without the actual finger. Who ever started the whole "take it down because it offends me" bs towards a game needs to have their head examined. Damn snowflakes need to back up if they know what's good for them and their sensitive lives.
I know lol who is THAT sensitive who is really gonna notice it lol

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo: "Hey guise we altered this victory pose a bit so it doesnt resemble an infamous obsene gesture, this is nothing new we did something similar like this 11 years ago in super mario rpg and no one batted an eyelash, enjoy the update! :3"

Some of yall for some reason: "Wow might as well remove the WHOLE DAMN GAME!!1! FUKCING SJWs!!!11!!!!"

like calm the fuck down oh my god

Last edited by Eddypikachu,

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a game driven mostly towards kids, even though of course grown-ups play it too, like me. I have a 10 year-old daughter who plays it also though, and I would not be happy if she started making that hand gesture. As someone stated, it basically means "F-you" and certainly does not belong in a game kids will be playing. Likely someone at Nintendo did not know exactly what the gesture meant, at least not someone with common sense.

Reactions: Eddypikachu

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually in Japan they had an exclusive splatfest where one team did have white ink, it was milk tea vs lemonade tea

It looks really cool!

I said we for a reason cause us americans can be so childish sometimes and so they would think of it the wrong way, tbh I wouldn't jump to such a dumb conclusion of what the white ink is but sadly others would here

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worse than people throwing a whole drama over some minimal censorship like this is the fact that we still got a whole bunch of Defendos arguing it is fine.
First thing, this is not fine. I can understand censorship when the content is breaking a local law or something, but doing this for the pure fear of offending somebody somewhere? Really? This is plain hysteria, and dangerous for our own political/cultural/religious/sexual/etc liberties.
Second, deeming these things fine so many times in the past is the reason Nintendo felt fine with censoring Xenoblade X, and literally butchering FE Fates and Tokyo Mirage sessions. Do we really want Nintendo to keep perpetuating this "nintendo is for kids" stereotype at the expense of buyers staying forever on the 20 years old cycle of missing third party games because companies don't want to deal with Nintendo's "friendly" bs?

To be honest, i jumped ship already after the Wii U, but if that is the mindset of "modern" fans then rip Nintendo, because bubbles don't last long and they are pretty destructive.

Last edited by Pachee,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Worse than people throwing a whole drama over some minimal censorship like this is the fact that we still got a whole bunch of Defendos arguing it is fine.
First thing, this is not fine. I can understand censorship when the content is breaking a local law or something, but doing this for the pure fear of offending somebody somewhere? Really? This is plain hysteria, and dangerous for our own political/cultural/religious/sexual/etc liberties.
Second, deeming these things fine so many times in the past is the reason Nintendo felt fine with censoring Xenoblade X, and literally butchering FE Fates and Tokyo Mirage sessions. Do we really want Nintendo to keep perpetuating this "nintendo is for kids" stereotype at the expense of buyers staying forever on the 20 years old cycle of missing third party games because companies don't want to deal with Nintendo's "friendly" bs?

To be honest, i jumped ship already after the Wii U, but if that is the mindset of "modern" fans then rip Nintendo, because bubbles don't last long and they are pretty destructive.
This is not censorship.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
censorship
1 the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.
Do SJWs now want to change the meaning of the word, just like the left have been corrupting our history in the past 30 years?:rolleyes:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE