Spilled Water on my Keyboard

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Porygon-X, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Porygon-X
    OP

Porygon-X GBAtemp Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    Switzerland
    Canada. Shieeet
    Help! I spilled some water (a lot) on my keyboard. Now, the A, S, D, F, J, K, L keys don't work. Caps lock suddenly became stuck.

How do you fix this?

I wrote this on my phone.

2. Hakoda

Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Buy a new keyboard because electronic circuitry and water aren't the best of friends.

3. Law

Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

Aug 14, 2007
    ‭jerkland
    pry off the keys, leave the keyboard somewhere warm overnight (or on the windowsill or something during the day) and make sure all the water is evaporated, then put the keys back on and see what happens.

Unless its a laptop keyboard, I'm not sure how those things work. Might have to kind of open it part way and prop it up so its like a /\ shape so the water can attempt to flow out.

4. aiRWaLKRe

aiRWaLKRe GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Orlando
    Now you found out the number one reason not to have a drink within 4 feet of any computer part [​IMG]

Maybe you should buy one of those waterproof keyboards if you spill anything on it you can just wipe it off.

5. Porygon-X
    OP

Porygon-X GBAtemp Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    Switzerland
    Canada. Shieeet
    Ahah. I was doing something stupid with my 1L water bottle.

It's not the first time I spilled stuff on it.

6. darkangel5000

darkangel5000 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 26, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Unna, ~Dortmund :3
    If it's just regular table water you can try to simply dry it 4-5 days on your radiator. If it was something like coke, it would be your best bet to disassemble the keyboard, take out the three to four transparent layers with the lines and dots, clean it off SOFTLY (as in: Don't rub, just wipe gently. Otherwise you'll "clean" the lines and dots "away", thus rendering your keyboard completely useless.) with 99% isopropyl or ethanol, let it dry for a few minutes and assemble everything back.

edit: If I were you, I'd try the second method first, cause I don't know if your water has any dissolved salts in it, which would remain after simply drying it.

7. _Chaz_

_Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    It's gonna be very mad when it comes to. If I were you, I'd kill it with fire ASAP.

8. SmokeFox

SmokeFox Jesus Christ is the Lord

Dec 27, 2010
    Brazil
    Brazil
    You can blow some pressurized air, maybe it solves.

9. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    If it has a membrane in it, good luck in removing the water from it. If it just uses plastic "push-caps" (most cheap keyboards use those), then placing it in a warm place for a while, after having removed the keys (as Law suggested) should be enough.

10. Porygon-X
    OP

Porygon-X GBAtemp Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    Switzerland
    Canada. Shieeet
    I just took it apart. It has the push-cap thingys and a thin sheet with dots and lines. I took all the keysout and washed those along with the outer shell. It's gotten pretty dusty and disgusting all these years.

I spilled plain water on it, and it's sitting by my radiator.

11. RoyalCardMan

RoyalCardMan DS App Studio™ Developer

Aug 11, 2010
    United States
    In the middle of gun fire.
    This is the reason why they don't let kids drink near computers at schools. [​IMG]

If it stops working, bring it to a tech guy and see what he can do. If you know a tech guy as a friend, he may even do it for free(I know how it feels [​IMG] )

12. Splych

Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

May 19, 2008
    Canada, Ontario.
    keyboards aren't expensive if you know where to look . unless this is a special type of keyboard, then it'd probably be best to just buy a new one if it doesn't work .

13. RoyalCardMan

RoyalCardMan DS App Studio™ Developer

Aug 11, 2010
    United States
    In the middle of gun fire.
    True, if it is a cheap keyboard, buy a new one.

14. mercluke

mercluke ‮҉

Dec 2, 2007
    Perth
    is that so? [​IMG]

15. Nimbus

Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

Nov 1, 2009
    Probably being lazy.
    You might also want to invest in a Water-resistant or Water-proof keyboard if you do decide to get a new one.

I guess it kind of depends on how short-circuited the keyboard got when water was spilt on it, if it's too badly shorted then it's not going to be worth the time trying to fix it.

16. Porygon-X
    OP

Porygon-X GBAtemp Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    Switzerland
    Canada. Shieeet

T_T. IT WAS ACCIDENTAL.

I just put it all back together and it didn't work. So I guess that's done. I "borrowed" my dad's wireless keyboard ATM, until we can find the time to buy another one.