Spider-Man will be added to Marvel's Avengers game as an exclusive for PS4 users

vDdHT54.png

Crystal Dynamic's upcoming Marvel's Avengers video game is still in the works, but the developer has confirmed that it'll be getting post-launch DLC, in the form of a playable Spider-Man. At least, for the PlayStation 4 version. Those on Sony's platform will be getting the character exclusively, for free, sometime in "early 2021". No screenshots were shown in the announcement, but Crystal Dynamics promises that his appearance will be influenced by the respective styles of iconic comic artists who helped popularize Spider-Man. Meanwhile, in an apparent contrast to Insomniac's take on the series, Avenger's Spider-Man will use special technology in this outing, giving him access to boosted abilities. Marvel's Avengers will launch on PlayStation 4, Steam, and Xbox One on September 4th, with a next-gen version planned for later this year.

It’s never been a better time to be a spider-fan! The team at Crystal Dynamics, along with our partners, are overjoyed that we get to be a part of this hero’s gaming journey. We can’t wait for you to add Spider-Man to your Marvel’s Avengers roster in early 2021, and as we’ve promised before, he will be available at no additional cost to owners of the base game, exclusively on PlayStation.

:arrow: Source

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
by a whole console jusy for a dlc character?
I think it's moreso to incentivize buying it on their platform, rather than on Xbox or PC. It's hardly enough to warrant that, though, especially because it's post-launch anyway, and we really don't know too much about the actual gameplay at this point.

Reactions: tech3475 and banjo2

James_

aka Underscore_, or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Spider-Man DLC is exclusive to PlayStation?
...why am I not surprised?

This is greedy. Do they think people will by a whole console jusy for a dlc character?

How much greed can one company get? Very greedy. Sony is out of control.
wElCoMe bAcK tO cApItAlIsM cLuB

Last edited by James_,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I think it's moreso to incentivize buying it on their platform, rather than on Xbox or PC. It's hardly enough to warrant that, though, especially because it's post-launch anyway, and we really don't know too much about the actual gameplay at this point.
Incentivize. Replace that euphamism with its original pre 1960. "paying more money to"

I'm sure post launch thats not far off will have some impact on peoples choices.

Spider-Man DLC is exclusive to PlayStation?
...why am I not surprised?

wElCoMe bAcK tO cApItAlIsM cLuB
Too bad spider-man is one of the most popular characters for sony to share spider man.

hamohamo

Trophies
XP
Country
This is greedy. Do they think people will by a whole console just for a dlc character?

How much greed can one company get? Very greedy. Sony is out of control.
No they don't. That said however, people would buy a whole console for Spider-Man PS4. You'd understand why if you played older games like wos or ultimate.

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, if it was any other Sony exclusive IP, people would says its understandable or even cool that their adding a character to the game that didn't have to be in it. It isn't that different from the past times games have done this. It is an "Avengers" game after all.

Reactions: wartutor

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Multiplatform game with only the exclusive character staying on PS4... well the Spiderman game was exclusively on PS4 and it sold very well.... JS what did people expect?

Didn't the older Marvel Utimate Alliance games had different exclusive characters for 6th gen? Soul Cailber had that as well...JS

I'm pretty sure it did.... MUA was the first to start this with an superhero game so when people say that this is a Third person Marvel Ultimate alliance... Well you aren't wrong. Now you know there's going to be a long list of characters in the future and I'm pretty if Spiderman is still exclusive, Yall might get an character like Wolverine with an old man logan skin. I hate to say it but it seems like Spiderman may not be a time exclusive, but I know Microsoft most likely will get an exclusive character.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Social_Outlaw,

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
This doesn't adversely effect me since I plan on getting the game for PS4 anyway and because Spiderman is my favorite superhero (ignoring the dude in the comments bitching about how only children should like superheroes).

But it still kinda rubs me the wrong way. Some people are gonna falsely state that it's because Sony has the rights to Spiderman--but that's only true when it comes to film. I'm pretty sure Spiderman can be in any Marvel video game. So this is just lame to me that others are gonna miss out. What, is Deadpool going to be an Xbox exclusive?

Reactions: Stellar and RyRyIV

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of you like "Typical Sony"... but forgot to mention anything about Nintendo or Microsoft. Damn Nintendo for not having Mario, Luigi and Samus cars on my PS4 version of Rocket League! And damn Microsoft for not putting the Forza games on Switch! They all tend to keep their owned properties on their own systems. Having Spidey as an exclusive makes perfect sends and I personally would purchase the game on a Sony console for this reason, if the game turns out to be any good to begin with.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Some of you like "Typical Sony"... but forgot to mention anything about Nintendo or Microsoft. Damn Nintendo for not having Mario, Luigi and Samus cars on my PS4 version of Rocket League! And damn Microsoft for not putting the Forza games on Switch! They all tend to keep their owned properties on their own systems. Having Spidey as an exclusive makes perfect sends and I personally would purchase the game on a Sony console for this reason, if the game turns out to be any good to begin with.
Well, you see why it's different right? Mario, Luigi, and Samus are Nintendo IPs and Forza is a Microsoft IP. While the Spiderman game is exclusive to the PS4, Spiderman the character is not exclusive to Sony. You got Spiderman all across different games and on different platforms.

If, say, Sackboy was a Sony exclusive DLC character for this game, we wouldn't be having this conversation (although it would still be notable because that would be weird.)

Reactions: Kioku and RyRyIV

RyRyIV

Primitive Screwhead
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure Spiderman can be in any Marvel video game
This is true based on the huge amount of non-Sony exclusive Marvel video games Spider-Man has been in, including five adaptations of the different Sony films.

It bums me out that I’m gonna miss out on Spidey just because I don’t have a PS4, but that’s life. Here’s hoping Xbox and PC get an exclusive character to help fill that void

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Spiderman the character is not exclusive to Sony
Outside of comic books, the character is actually owned by Sony. Thus the multiple crappy reboots, the crappy Venom movie, the exclusive video game, and the (now settled) contract disputes with Marvel Studios over Tom Holland's Spider-Man. Into the Spider-Verse was amazing though, I'll grant them that.

I’d be angry if the game didn’t look crap.
Agreed, it looks bad. Par for the course where movie-based games are concerned, I suppose.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: SS4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2