1. 5,527

Front-page
    vDdHT54.png

Crystal Dynamic's upcoming Marvel's Avengers video game is still in the works, but the developer has confirmed that it'll be getting post-launch DLC, in the form of a playable Spider-Man. At least, for the PlayStation 4 version. Those on Sony's platform will be getting the character exclusively, for free, sometime in "early 2021". No screenshots were shown in the announcement, but Crystal Dynamics promises that his appearance will be influenced by the respective styles of iconic comic artists who helped popularize Spider-Man. Meanwhile, in an apparent contrast to Insomniac's take on the series, Avenger's Spider-Man will use special technology in this outing, giving him access to boosted abilities. Marvel's Avengers will launch on PlayStation 4, Steam, and Xbox One on September 4th, with a next-gen version planned for later this year.

:arrow: Source

Troopage, Moon164 and Mr. Looigi like this.
  2. Discussion (62 replies)

3. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Comoros
    This is greedy. Do they think people will by a whole console just for a dlc character?

How much greed can one company get? Very greedy. Sony is out of control.

Last edited by SG854, Aug 3, 2020
    jimmyj, Stellar, Dr.Hacknik and 2 others like this.
  4. Chary

OP Chary Please read the OP
    Senior Editor

United States
    I think it's moreso to incentivize buying it on their platform, rather than on Xbox or PC. It's hardly enough to warrant that, though, especially because it's post-launch anyway, and we really don't know too much about the actual gameplay at this point.

tech3475 and banjo2 like this.
  5. James_

James_ [insert the funny]

United Kingdom
    Spider-Man DLC is exclusive to PlayStation?
    ...why am I not surprised?

wElCoMe bAcK tO cApItAlIsM cLuB

Last edited by James_, Aug 3, 2020
    jimmyj, Henx, lombardot and 2 others like this.
  6. banjo2

banjo2 gamer

United States
    Is it really that greedy if the game isn't out yet? I could see being mad about it if the game came out three months ago, but you can't even play it yet.

Moon164 and Joel16 like this.
  7. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Comoros
    Incentivize. Replace that euphamism with its original pre 1960. "paying more money to"

I'm sure post launch thats not far off will have some impact on peoples choices.

Too bad spider-man is one of the most popular characters for sony to share spider man.

8. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Serbia, Republic of
    After how hard sony f-up Peter's character they obligated to marry him.

9. hamohamo

hamohamo GBAtemp Regular

No they don't. That said however, people would buy a whole console for Spider-Man PS4. You'd understand why if you played older games like wos or ultimate.

10. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Vietnam
    I stopped caring about super heroes when I turned 12

11. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Now if only you grew up past 12 as well

Dotzz, brenokk, gurgleburble and 15 others like this.
  12. Seliph

Seliph Antifa gamer gf

United States
    Classic Sony.

Anyways it's not like Spiderman could ever appear on Xbox seeing as how the character is owned by Sony anyways.

Still obnoxious and greedy though but that's industry standard.

Last edited by Seliph, Aug 3, 2020
  13. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Vietnam
    Never heard of you

You getting so upset about my comment says a lot tho.

I guess maybe you should take your own advice

Peninsula likes this.
  14. GoldenBullet

GoldenBullet That One Guy

United States
    Meh, if it was any other Sony exclusive IP, people would says its understandable or even cool that their adding a character to the game that didn't have to be in it. It isn't that different from the past times games have done this. It is an "Avengers" game after all.

wartutor likes this.
  15. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

United States
    Multiplatform game with only the exclusive character staying on PS4... well the Spiderman game was exclusively on PS4 and it sold very well.... JS what did people expect?

Didn't the older Marvel Utimate Alliance games had different exclusive characters for 6th gen? Soul Cailber had that as well...JS

I'm pretty sure it did.... MUA was the first to start this with an superhero game so when people say that this is a Third person Marvel Ultimate alliance... Well you aren't wrong. Now you know there's going to be a long list of characters in the future and I'm pretty if Spiderman is still exclusive, Yall might get an character like Wolverine with an old man logan skin. I hate to say it but it seems like Spiderman may not be a time exclusive, but I know Microsoft most likely will get an exclusive character.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Logan97, Aug 3, 2020
  16. Ericzander

Ericzander Ya-yo, ya-yo! Dreamin'!
    Reviewer

Somalia
    This doesn't adversely effect me since I plan on getting the game for PS4 anyway and because Spiderman is my favorite superhero (ignoring the dude in the comments bitching about how only children should like superheroes).

But it still kinda rubs me the wrong way. Some people are gonna falsely state that it's because Sony has the rights to Spiderman--but that's only true when it comes to film. I'm pretty sure Spiderman can be in any Marvel video game. So this is just lame to me that others are gonna miss out. What, is Deadpool going to be an Xbox exclusive?

Stellar and RyRyIV like this.
  17. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    Some of you like "Typical Sony"... but forgot to mention anything about Nintendo or Microsoft. Damn Nintendo for not having Mario, Luigi and Samus cars on my PS4 version of Rocket League! And damn Microsoft for not putting the Forza games on Switch! They all tend to keep their owned properties on their own systems. Having Spidey as an exclusive makes perfect sends and I personally would purchase the game on a Sony console for this reason, if the game turns out to be any good to begin with.

18. Ericzander

Ericzander Ya-yo, ya-yo! Dreamin'!
    Reviewer

Somalia
    Well, you see why it's different right? Mario, Luigi, and Samus are Nintendo IPs and Forza is a Microsoft IP. While the Spiderman game is exclusive to the PS4, Spiderman the character is not exclusive to Sony. You got Spiderman all across different games and on different platforms.

If, say, Sackboy was a Sony exclusive DLC character for this game, we wouldn't be having this conversation (although it would still be notable because that would be weird.)

Memoir and RyRyIV like this.
  19. RyRyIV

RyRyIV Chicken Chaser
    Contributor

United States
    This is true based on the huge amount of non-Sony exclusive Marvel video games Spider-Man has been in, including five adaptations of the different Sony films.

It bums me out that I’m gonna miss out on Spidey just because I don’t have a PS4, but that’s life. Here’s hoping Xbox and PC get an exclusive character to help fill that void

Logan97 and Ericzander like this.
  20. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Outside of comic books, the character is actually owned by Sony. Thus the multiple crappy reboots, the crappy Venom movie, the exclusive video game, and the (now settled) contract disputes with Marvel Studios over Tom Holland's Spider-Man. Into the Spider-Verse was amazing though, I'll grant them that.

Agreed, it looks bad. Par for the course where movie-based games are concerned, I suppose.

Last edited by Xzi, Aug 3, 2020
    SS4 likes this.
  21. banjo2

banjo2 gamer

United States
    Assuming one is the Amazing Spider-Man duology, what was the other?

Xzi likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - exclusive, Avengers, Marvels