Spider-Man: Edge of Time Nintendo Editions Details

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, Aug 13, 2011.

Aug 13, 2011
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Personally I felt that the last Spider-Man game was pretty damn good and a step in the right direction for the video game series. Also the Wii version was the best, more variety in gameplay and also it had a better graphical style making it more akin to the comic universe than just shiny shiny graphics on modern HD games...but whatever here are some details of the new game for the Nintendo consoles.

"3DS

- Results will play out pretty much identically in the Wii/3DS versions
    - Games will have the same content
    - 3DS version will look very similar to the Wii game
    - Each time period will have its own screen during story sequences
    - Beenox says the 3D effect won’t be overblown
    - 3D will be used to enhance certain moments, like heightening the thrill of 2099?s free-fall sequences

DS

- Developed by Other Ocean (Dark Void Zero)
    - Side-scrolling action
    - unique art style and feel
    - Swap between the present and 2099 at any time to control those periods’ heroes
    - Spider-Man of 2099 might encounter a locked security door, destroy it more easily in the past
    - Different locations than the 3DS/Wii versions
    - Daily Bugle offices in present-day NYC and a Cyber Gaming Arena in the year 2099 are some locations
    - At least two bosses not in the other versions: Rhino and Shocker"

A bit of a shame that the 3DS and Wii versions are practically the same, seems to be the way things are going but at least its not the same as the DS game just like that shit Griptonite Green Lantern game.

I find the fact that Other Ocean developing this rather than Griptonite to be a more than welcome change. Griptonite have churned out what seems to be the same game over and over since Web of Shadows, not just for Spidey but for most of their titles. Their game quality has gone downhill. Hopefully Other Oceans attempt will be more retro-y and abandon the last two games gameplay style. Really liking the time element, reminds me of Oracle of Ages and Day of the Tentacle and how you used characters in another time to fix things in the future.

Source

2. Shuji1987

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands
    It's just saving costs, Wii and 3DS will be the same game in terms of graphics, content, etc, but only differ in having a 3D abillity or a motion control.

Is there any footage available on the web yet for either version? Not interested in the DS one though [​IMG]

3. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    No shit, of course its that! Just a fucker that they're both so close in terms of specs. Hoping that will change when Wii U is out.

No media at all. Not interested DS version? Well I reckon that could be the best version.

4. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    any spidey game is welcome, that's one of my favorite hero

i liked most of Ds game so far but this is a new dev.. i hope to see more about it soon

5. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Hey wait are we going to see more Wii to 3DS ports? I hope not, developers will get lazy, some will be like 'why not just port this game on the 3DS or the Wii' as they quite similar in the way they handle stuff.

Not really interested in Spiderman.

6. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Hopefully the DS version will be like Web of Shadows/Shattered Dimensions, both of which were really fun.

I know a lot of people criticized the PSP for having "ports" of console versions but they honestly weren't terrible. I don't see much reason to get the 3DS version over the Wii one honestly but I'm not gonna whine on them for doing that.

7. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Maybe, but only when Wii u completely over shadow it.

Why would the DS be better?

Both seem like a good game.

8. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    You can play it on a console with the possibility of better controls on a bigger screen. I don't really see myself wanting to play Spiderman on-the-go. Or in 3D. Plus the Wii version will probably have better graphics (not a whole lot but definitely noticeable).

9. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    This Game seems kinda interesting... for 3DS.
    I don't regret selling my Wii back in the days and purchasing a 3DS now.

Maybe I should get a Wii/U another day, but for now ?
    No need.

10. Shuji1987

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands
    Make that a Wii U imo. The only reason I'm holding on to my Wii for now is Zelda Skyword Sword. Other then that I'm eagerly awaiting the Wii U.

11. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    I'm kind of excited for the DS game. I really liked the last couple of Spider-Man DS games, so I have kind of high hopes for this. I know it's a different company developing, but I'm still hoping for something as good as the past couple of DS installments.

12. Dann Woolf

Member Dann Woolf Deadpan Snarker

Netherlands
    "Swap between the present and 2099 at any time to control those periods’ heroes"?

I've always loved the whole "two versions of one world" mechanic. This sounds awesome.

13. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I like that the 3DS version and the Wii version will be very alike.
    I wonder from a gameplay perspective, will the Wii version look better with the better models or will the 3DS version look better with the better lighting?
    I hope it doesn't suck.

If Other Ocean's game turns out to be similar to Griptonite's previous games, I'd say the DS version will probably be more fun to me.

No offense but that's a pretty dumb question provided the fact that the two versions are almost the same.

14. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    It won't they're going for a different style and feel. They're also incorporated a sort of time travel aspect in the game where you can switch back and worth to solve something in one time zone that you can't in the other.

I really wasn't into the Griptonite Spider-Man games, they were pretty generic MetroidVania style titles to me, pretty much seen the gameplay over and over in other titles in the past. They were a major let down after their excellent Spyro GBA title. Levels didn't seem well made either but whatever different strokes for different folks and all that crap.

15. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    He the one talking about not getting one over the other.

16. geminisama

Member geminisama Metsu

United States
    If the ds version is as good as Web of Shadows, I'm excited.