War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Please take in consideration that I'm a total newb when it comes to torrents. I've been using them for over 2 years, but know nothing of how they work.

Alrighty... now that that's out of the way... I know that torrent speed is usually determined by the number of seeds, but for some reason, I get horrible torrent speed. I don't have an OMGWTFHAX computer, but it's above average. When I download torrents, even when I'm connected to seeds, I get random speeds. For example, I can be downloading a file with 11 seeds and be at 20kb/s and download something with 9 seeds at 110kb/s. Why is that?

So basically, here is my wall of questions:
1. What is the fastest and safest torrent program? (Fastest as in download speed)
2. When I'm downloading something, right next to it, it also shows a tab saying "Upload". This means I am uploading the file at the same time I am downloading it (IIRC). Does this slow down my download speed? Is there any way to stop it, if so?
3. Does seeding previously downloaded content slow me down?
4. Are there any other ways to speed up my torrent downloading?

Here are my specs... if you need any more info, let me know!
Using Azureus 3.0.4.2 as my torrent downloading program
I only download 1 file at a time
It is uploading at the same time it is downloading
I am seeding
I'm not sure what this is called, but I read somewhere that (since I'm a router user) you can go into the settings and open a certain port or something that speeds it up... I did that.

I dunno if my bandwidth has anything to do with this, but
866.82kilobits per second
105.81kilobytes per second

Thanks!

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Basically everything depends on the uploaders. If they're fast and good uploaders the download speed is faster. In other hand if there's million leeches on a torrent and not so many seeders, it slows it down. etc.

1. Utorrent is a good torrent client.

2. Uploading doesn't slowdown your download, but it's good to limit it slightly under your max upload speed to get best download speed.

3. depends on a situation

4. Not really

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If your ports are forwarded there's really nothing else you can do. It's up to the seeders after that. Check out http://portforward.com/ for a guide on how to set yor specific router to port forwarding if you haven't already. And then maybe time to consider a usenet plan
smile.gif

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Set your upload speed to 80% of maximum. If you are using µTorrent, open it and the icon on the bottom shows if your port is forwarded (Green if yes, yellow if maybe, or red if no)

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually ZWR, that's not true. I've actually gotten 150kb/s speeds quite a few times. Most of those were pretty stable as well.

QUOTEI dunno if my bandwidth has anything to do with this, but
866.82kilobits per second
105.81kilobytes per second

ZWR has a point. Maybe you were downloading something when you tested your bandwith?
If you have 866 kb/ps download that means that you have a download speed of 866/8 = 108 (your actual download speed is your bandwith divided by 8) KB/ps.(kilobits and kilobytes are very different)

Just make sure that you are using a port that is open and that you have a healthy torrent.
I would try and recommend you to use private trackers but with your upload rates it would be damn near impossible.
most private trackers expect a 1:1 ratio (you upload as much as you've downloaded) and with a max upload of around 30-50 KB/PS you will be waiting a looong time for a torrent to finish uploading.

Utorrent is my favorite torrent program but make sure that you don't enable DHT. It makes my downloads go somewhat faster(not by a lot).

mojoex

Trophies
Website
ordaria.net
XP
Country
seriously, upload speed does effect your download speed.
you dont want to choke the connection by trying to upload massive amounts of data. that way your download speed is going to suffer.
depending on your internet connection - say you can download from a private server at microsoft at 106kb/s, that's your max download speed. limit your upload to about 25kb/s, and that'll give you the best that your connection can handle.

also, the amount of seeds aren't as important as the speed that they're uploading to you.
for example, you could have 10 seeders uploading at 5kb/s each, that's 50kb/s in total. but you could have 5 seeders uploading at 20kb/s each, that's 100kb/s.
it's basically luck. experimenting with different torrents.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since we are on the topic of torrents, I can usually upload max at 40-60KB/s. However, its its anything over 10KB being used in torrents, my whole internet comes to a crawl. I'm pretty sure I can only have a certain number of connections. Can I change that number, or is it reliant on my ISP?

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since we are on the topic of torrents, I can usually upload max at 40-60KB/s. However, its its anything over 10KB being used in torrents, my whole internet comes to a crawl. I'm pretty sure I can only have a certain number of connections. Can I change that number, or is it reliant on my ISP?

You can change the number of connections on the torrent itself and or set a kb/s upload limit on the torrent.

esteefyou

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
use private trackers, i get on average 300KB/s to 500KB/s cuz theres like 300 seeders and 5 leechers, and set your peers per torrent 100 so u connect to more peers

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You change it on your bittorrent client. I use azereus, I can change this settings in option menu. You need to be really careful with the settings tho. You can use 100% of your internet at all times, while downloading. This will make even the simpliest pages go slow and if you share your connections with a router, you may piss other people in your house off, like I do :-)

Warcueid: Are you using a public tracker or private? Many people on public trackers will not seed after there download finishes. So basically you end up with very few seeders and many many peers. Seeders are people that completed there download and are now uploading. Peers are people that are downloading at the same time as you (peers can download from other peers as well). Private servers basically require people to seed after they download, so you get more seeders, thus faster speeds when people download. Even if you have lots of seeders, you speed can still be slow if the seeders upload speed is slow. My internet is 2400, which is 300 KB a sec. I get about 100 KB on public trackers, if I lucky. I get my full 300 on a private tracker that I use. If you cannot get access to a Private tracker, you can consider usenet (newsgroups), this will cost you money, but you will generally always get full speed, if you make use of multiple connections.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried torrentflux? You host it on your own server so your home connection doesn't do anything. It's especially fast because server internet speeds are way faster than you can get, and that means you can finish with a 1:1 ratio in a very small amount of time.
Then you just http download it to your computer, maxing out your speed.
You have to pay for the server (shared hosting works, but I heard that torrentflux is CPU intensive, so limit your download speed). But it's cheaper than say, usenet.

To answer the topic:
I like uTorrent, a lot less computer intesive because it doesn't use a crappy virtual machine.
Torrent clients tend to prefer peers who upload more, so uploading is a GOOD thing. (Don't be a leech)
Make sure you portforwarded correctly.
And can you describe your setup? (Where the computer is connected on the network, how many routers do you have, FOIS/Cable/DSL)

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I'm not sure how to check if they are from a private or public tracker, and I can't tell you guys the site for obvious reasons. But it's a popular site, probably the most used if not 2nd to most used site for torrents.

I have Cable/DSL
I host the router
My mom picks up the signal from time to time, when she goes on. Which isnt much.

pottageb

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting usenet, can someone give me a guide to the best "ones"? How much does it cost? How do I download stuff off them?

Thanks

Ben

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ssssey ioBtneicnA@