Speed Racer Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Kenshin Br, May 21, 2008.

May 21, 2008

Speed Racer Wii by Kenshin Br at 4:55 AM (1,288 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Kenshin Br
    OP

Member Kenshin Br GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    The gameplay of Speed Racer is very interesting. It’s easy to learn how to control the car: just turn the Wiimote to the left or to the right. In addition you can do some movements against your adversaries (it’s called ‘car-fu’ in the game). It’s a pretty sweet idea that works fine here, making the title more fun e much more competitive. Yes, Speed Racer has a good level of challenge: the others racers are very active, using ‘cur-fu’ all the time - and sometimes it is annoying.

You will find a big quantity of circuits, but with similar visuals. There are only 5 variations of themes in this game (something like Excite Truck), and this is not a good point. On the other hand, there are a great variety of cars and pilots with diferent designs e characteristics. The one player mode is good, but if you want to play online, you can’t. The game has only an offline multiplayer mode, what is a shame.

In the technical department Speed Racer is pretty decent. The graphics are very well done: the stages has a fantastic draw distance with detailed enviroments; the cars has some great design and the game runs smooth, without slowdown. The sound is only generic, with generic songs and generic sound effects (but with a nice voice work).

Speed Racer is not a great title, but it has many good points and can offer some hours of entertainment for those who like racing games. It’s a good heating before the next F-zero game.

2. mb01

Member mb01 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Was ok i guess. Track designs are pretty good. Just wish they would've added support for the Classic or Gamecube controllers like many other Wii racing games should of.

3. Kenshin Br
    OP

Member Kenshin Br GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Yes, it could be an option, but I liked the wiimote-style gameplay.

4. Auyx

Member Auyx GBAtemp's Unofficial Sanic impersonator

United Kingdom
    Did nobody else notice that the game was fuzzier than the old N64 games. the rez was so low it made the game almost unplayable. And before you ask its not my TV I'm running the game at 480P on a 32"Bravia.

5. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    It's not physically possible for a Wii game to look worse than N64 game, TV greatness or otherwise. You're making up stories about the game and I can only guess perhaps because you have a HD system and just felt a need to whine.

6. Auyx

Member Auyx GBAtemp's Unofficial Sanic impersonator

United Kingdom
    No really the game is super fuzzy. I wasn't saying it looked worse than an N64 game I was saying that it is running at a really low rez unscaled to 480p then they stuck a great big fuztastic filter on it to cover the aliasing. The gameplay of the game is great if the track selection a little limited I was just complaining that the game isn't optimized to run in a native high resolution then downscaled like most games are. Do a game by game comparison with f-zero GX to see what I mean.

(oh and not physically possible for a wii game to look worse than a N64 game is untrue, Have you seen move the boobs? Lol)