OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I was playing Speed Racer these days and the game was going on normally until at some point (to be exact it was during the ZONE Turbo, but I don't know if this have anything to do with the error) the game froze, I even waited for some seconds but nothing happened. Is it my rom or the akaio's problem?

I'm sorry if there's already some topic about this, I searched and found nothing. Thanks anyway. =D

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
you need to provide more information.

rom #?
akaio version?
clean dump or patched dump?
which dma mode?
which patches are enabled/disabled?
are you using any cheats?
do you have problems with any other roms?
did you try more than just the 1 dump? (ie: E, U, etc)
is your microsd formatted with the panasonic formatter?
can you repeat the crash each and every time at that same point?
does the rom crash at that same point on an emulator, on another flash linker?

-another world

Yusuky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I'll answer all I can or know:

#??? is that the rom code?

version 1.4.1 PROPER the newest

dump? look, it's the normal rom, the one we get from those sites like -name removed- (is it forbidden to put sites here? if so, sorry)

dma? ii'

patches? I'm running the game clean. Just putting into the SD and playing

cheats? No

No problems with others

dump...?

it's new, never formatted yet.

I've only played twice, and only got crashed once at all.

Never tried emulator, only the DS

I hope that's all you'll need. I don't thinks it's a problem with the rom and maybe neither the Akaio. Don't know at all

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possibly it's just fragmentation or your cart lost proper connection.

Fragmentation - copy all your files to the PC, format card, copy everything back.

Bad connection - plug and unplug your flashcart a few times to sort of clean the contacts.

If neither of those solutions fix it, it's your flashcart.....whcih I seriously doubt as that game played flawlessly for me from beginning to end on an R4 AND CycloDS.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
QUOTE said:
#??? is that the rom code?

the number that was attached to the rom when it was ripped. that number is important to find out which rom you have.

ie:
2290 - Speed Racer - The Videogame (U)(Micronauts) [A780E985]
2317 - Speed Racer - The Videogame (E)(XenoPhobia) [E231B00B]

QUOTE said:
dump? look, it's the normal rom, the one we get from those sites like -name removed- (is it forbidden to put sites here? if so, sorry)

if you don't know what it means to "dump" a rom you probably shouldn't be into this hobby. if you don't know the source of your rom, as in if its a clean dump or a patched/hacked dump, why would you risk running that on your nds?

QUOTE said:
dma?

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/AKAIO#DMA_Mode

Code:
Games are loaded via DMA mode by default, which enhances performance in many games. AKAIO on the R.P.G. uses DMA on the microSD at all times with currently is no way to turn it off. On the AK2 DMA is active when the "Loading" text turns red or green. 

In v1.4.1 the new DMA-QuickSave mode has been made default. You can see that this mode is working when the "Loading" text turns green. This new mode fixes video and sound glitches which occur in older patching modes, and offers faster save writing/reading support. 

The original DMA mode can be accessed in v1.4.1 by holding "X". You can see that this mode is working when the "Loading" text turns red. This uses the same patching method as holding "A" but with the benefit of DMA. 

If you encounter a problem with a particular game, you can disable DMA mode by holding the A button while loading. In this case the "Loading" text will stay blue. 

For games that are problematic with DMA mode, please make sure to first update the loaders to the most recent version. Updated loaders can be found at the Loaders Download Page or via Wi-Fi Update from within AKAIO. If you notice a problem even with the latest loaders, please visit the AKAIO ROM Compatibility Page. Add your problematic game as needed by following the on-site instructions.

QUOTE said:
patches? I'm running the game clean. Just putting into the SD and playing

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/AKA...t_Patch_Options

Code:
(Tab 4) Default Patch Options
These are the global patch settings. Per-game settings are also available by highlighting a ROM and pressing Y. With this method you can leave on the patches and then if a game fails to load, set its per-game settings to Disabled for certain patches. Patches enter an area of RAM which may be used by the game itself. This is the reason that some games fail to load with certain patches enabled. 

DS Download Play 

This selection controls the cart-to-cart download playability between ROMs. It can be set to Disabled or Enabled. 
Soft-Reset 

AKAIO D-Pad combination is L+R+B+A+Down while actively using a Rom 
Cheat Code Usage 

This setting allows the ROMs to use cheats. It can be set to Disabled or Enabled. 
Autorun 

Autorun will run the last loaded .NDS file as soon as the AK boots to the AKAIO firmware. hold down B at startup to cancel autorun. It can be set to Disabled or Enabled. 
Select Cheat Database 

This option allows the user to select which cheat file to use. Renaming older cheat files placed in the __aio/cheats directory will allow the user to make a selection from multiple cheat files.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/AKAIO#F.A.Q.

Code:
Game XXXX - WHATEVER.nds fails to load, does not work, has problems, etc. Now what? 
Patches (soft-reset, cheats, etc) are written to RAM before the game is loaded. In some cases the game will attempt to overwrite the area of RAM that the patches are using. This can cause the game to fail in various ways for different situations. Before you complain that a ROM is not working try to debug the problem yourself. Turn off various patches; try the DMA, Non-DMA, and DMA-Save modes. In rare cases you need to set the save type by hand. You can find out the save type of your ROM by looking up the ROM number at ADVANsCENe.com. For more information on patching, save types, and other AKAIO tweaks please read the WIKI above. When you have found a fix for a specific game please add it to GBATemp's AKAIO ROM Compatibility WIKI.

QUOTE said:
it's new, never formatted yet.

it was formatted at the factory, reformat it to the SD standards.

CODE
Why should I bother to use the Panasonic SD formatter?
According to Panasonic "SD/SDHC Memory Card file systems formatted with generic operating system formatting software do not comply with the SD Memory Card specification." This means that your O/S's built in drive formatter is not designed to format the exact set of circumstances that allow your microSD cards to function at their peak performance. While this may not be important for your Cell phone, it is very important when talking about ROMs and read/write access speeds which pertain to NDS flash kits.

I've only played twice, and only got crashed once at all.

this is not an issue with akaio, now that i begin to see the forest for the trees. sometimes roms freeze up, this isn't a perfect science, do you really, honestly, think you needed to report it if you only played it twice and it only crashed once??

-another world

Yusuky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
sorry if it was a big fuss for nothing, Another World. It's true I only played twice, but I played more then a dozen times the other games and only this crashed. I unplugged and plugged the DS, formatted and played for some time and nothing happened at all.

At least I now know a few more about patches etc. Just don't get what DMA means at all XD

Thanks guys (can close topic now if it's ok =D)

Oh, and I do know from where I get my roms, I just don't know how to call those sites XD

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Yusuky said:
At least I now know a few more about patches etc. Just don't get what DMA means at all XD

which is why i've spent so many hours writing and rewriting the wiki.

CODEI get how to use DMA mode, but what exactly is it doing?
DMA means Direct Memory Access, and it speeds up things in regards to microSD cards and Flash Linkers, as the combination is not as fast as a retail card with its internal Read Only Memory. DMA copies data from one section of memory to another, without involving the processor. When a processor does a memory copy, it must execute a series of instructions to read data from a memory address into a register, then write the data in that register to another address, and repeat. This involves several instructions, and each read/write cycle is generally limited to the bandwidth of the processor (i.e. a 32 bit machine copies 32 bits at a time). DMA, on the other hand, is a hardware solution that does all of the work automatically and doesn't involve the processor (and thus no loop operations or anything like that). Not only is it often twice as fast, but it leaves the processor free to do other work.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over