Speed Difference on Compact?

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by Phasher99, Sep 19, 2006.

Sep 19, 2006

Speed Difference on Compact? by Phasher99 at 12:11 AM (1,212 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Phasher99
    OP

Newcomer Phasher99 Advanced Member

United States
    Hey. I'm thinking about purchasing my first DS cart (I'm not quite that new in the scene though...) I've considered the EZ4-Compact because of its price and since I already have a Flash2Advance Ultra, I do not need the GBA compatibility. I was wondering, should I pay a little bit extra for a Ultra II MicroSD card, or just a standard SanDisk microSD? I've read around about the access time being better in the Ultra II, but I was wondering if it really does make much of a difference on the EZ4 (I saw some results about the Supercard) Can someone provide me some info or share their personal experience? Thanks.

2. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    No speed difference between Deluxe and Compact, and no.

I remember reading the EZ4 is the bottleneck, so a faster MicroSD won't do much, but I'm not sure if it has changed in the few weeks.

3. Heinrisch

Member Heinrisch GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    From what I have heard, the latest update removed most of the bottle neck and I think there is a bigger difference between microSD cards now. However, its not worth paying more for that difference according to me.

4. Phasher99
    OP

Newcomer Phasher99 Advanced Member

United States
    thanks for the insight. im a bit confused though, but i ended up purchasing a ez4lite deluxe+1gb sandisk microsd+passcard 3 bundle from winsunx. total 113.60$ after ship. =p sounds good to me.

5. vilator

Newcomer vilator Newbie

I have a kind of an add on question. Does a faster sd card really have a noticeable difference other than the castlevania demo? Like will movies paly faster in moonshell? Will games load faster?

6. skywarp

Member skywarp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    To be honest I would avoid Sandisk, they just charge way to much for the speed of their memory. Their stuff labeled "Ultra mark 3 hyper mega super lightspeed bullshit" will be the same speed as standard memory by most competing brands, except cost some obscene price. Meanwhile, Sandisks "standard" flash memory is usually incredibly slow. I have a cheap kingston 1GB microsd card, and no lag or slowdown in anything I've played so far.