Discussion [Speculation] Possibility of Microsoft Windows Games ON NINTENDO SWITCH ( wineHQ implementation )?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by madkid, Sep 26, 2018.

1. madkid
    OP

madkid Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2018
    France
    1_AQgWTISDsCBvY6FS8gFR2Q.
    Games like Dead Space or assassins creed.

Wine
    Wine enables Linux, Mac, FreeBSD, and Solaris users to run Windows applications without a copy of Microsoft Windows. Wine is free software under constant development. Other platforms may benefit as well.

C5-6pPdUsAEXYia.

¿Could it be possible?

Last edited by madkid, Sep 26, 2018
  2. djmuted

djmuted Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2018
    Poland
    Possible, but not practical (it would work really really slowly if at all). Windows apps are made for x86 or x86_64 CPU architectures and the Switch runs on ARM. Emulating x86 on ARM is rather a slow and painful process.

Last edited by djmuted, Sep 26, 2018
  3. madkid
    OP

madkid Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2018
    France
    that's true, but look at dolphin with arm support

4. jeremiz

jeremiz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2007
    France
    Misleading thread and fake picture of dead space on switch.

IHOP, filfat, Girtana1 and 19 others like this.
  5. Jpe230

Jpe230 Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2018
    Mexico
    With Dolphin you are not emulating x86 you are emulating PowerPC.

Also, Wine is not an emulator. You still need an x86 or x86_64 CPU to be able to to run Windows games and/or programs. Unless someone port Wine for ARM which only has compatibilty with programs or games ported to Windows RT (Microsoft’s 32-bit operating system for ARM architectures).

MarkPrime24, Girtana1, ry755 and 4 others like this.
  6. madkid
    OP

madkid Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2018
    France
    the picture was created for me man...

7. phreaksho

phreaksho GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2007
    United States
    Post falls, Idaho
    Man.. I got excited. This would be pretty neat.

MarkPrime24 and madkid like this.
  8. madkid
    OP

madkid Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2018
    France
    i know that wine is not an emulator

i saw some fork of wine for android devices, but i think it was discontinued and the performance should be garbage

https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/android/

last update: wine-3.16-x86.apk 2018-09-14 15:03130M

Last edited by madkid, Sep 26, 2018
  9. Jpe230

Jpe230 Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2018
    Mexico
    Wine for Android requires an x86 CPU if you want it to run x86 windows games. It is not for any Android out there.

AdamFX990 likes this.
  10. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    I would guess basically impossible, it's much work porting stuff to work on ARM. Wine needs a x86 CPU to be able to run stuff from x86, as it doesn't emulate it, but just gives kind of a background for it to be able to run. It's theorically possible, but the amount of work to make it function would be insane.

madkid likes this.
  11. DogParty

DogParty GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    Theoretically this would be possible. If someone wanted to port QEMU to the Switch it could be used as a compatibility layer to interface with Wine. See here for the patches required to make it work on the RPi. Though, tbh, if someone ported QEMU it would probably be better to run a stripped down version of Windows XP in it rather than a Linux distro with wine.

tiliarou likes this.
  12. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    You don't seem to understand a thing here, but yeah keep dreaming, your best shot at playing windows games on the switch would more be with virtualization through linux rather than wine, it could even probably launch a few old school games but nothing like assassin's creed or dead space...

Wolfy and StickIt2Ya77 like this.
  13. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    Man that title got me excited for a bit, that's not cool.

Wolfy and The_Provider like this.
  14. jsherm101

jsherm101 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2012
    United States
    This is very misleading and doesn't understand the underlying tech. Wine in itself is a compatibility layer for running code built for a different operating system, but in the same architecture (x86) -- wine in itself is not emulation, and on top of that it's not as well developed for ARM which is your first barrier to getting it working on Tegra. Plus you'd still need to port over or emulate the x86->arm components of the program.

Second, once wine is more supported for ARM, which would almost certainly require more powerful ARM processors hitting consumers, given the Tegra X1 is already 3-4 years old, maybe you'll see some opportunities in emulation/compatibility layers for x86 tech.

it's far more likely you'll see someone attempt to port Windows 10 and try to use Windows on ARM translation/emulation technology before you see Wine. Tegra used to be the backbone of WinRT so it's not impossible, just very unlikely without a business use as the real purpose was to get Photoshop and such working on ARM, not games.

dolphin on ARM is also not comparable. The binaries and code was built on ARM, and then it runs the same emulation tech that was originally built on x86. Porting wine would only work if you're also trying to run ARM-based windows code, because it's just adding compatibility for those operations.

Last edited by jsherm101, Sep 26, 2018
    ry755, StickIt2Ya77 and madkid like this.
  15. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    We have dosbox at the moment so that's something

madkid likes this.
  16. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    We might see this become practical for some things in the future, since Windows 10 runs on ARM and is technically capable of running desktop programs as long as they're compiled for ARM. Don't think any Windows games support ARM yet though, and since Windows on ARM isn't terribly popular it's never going to be supported by any large amount of games or software.

LiamMCW and madkid like this.
  17. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Addict

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Why have you highlighted FreeBSD?

18. DKB

DKB ...!

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    That switch picture is so fake. lol.

Csmrcc and hellionz like this.
  19. madkid
    OP

madkid Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2018
    France
    I have an arm cpu and its running wine, but x86 apps can't run

for second time... the image was created for me.

"¿Could it be possible?"
    I only started a debate, I wasn't affirming nothing

20. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    For the second time, I was talking about the title. The image has nothing to with it and the lack of question marks in the title lead me to believe this was some sort of release.