[SPECULATION] Current State of Affairs for 3DS Flash Cards.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by lambstone, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lambstone
    OP

lambstone No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.

Banned
    Aug 14, 2011
    Updated on 26/03/2014

What the hell is currently going on with the 3DS Flash Cards Scene?? (Note: Not all information are verified, they just simply exist)
    In this thread I will be trying to provide you guys with information that I have come across over something called the internet. What you guys make of it is up to you.

Now, I've seen countless thread being infected by the morality of piracy. Well, stop right there. Piracy is moral. Piracy is immoral. Piracy is amoral. There. A one size fits all solution.

Now first bit is the leak by some chinese guy. I've translated his post painstakingly as google translate is rubbish. I even had to google up some chinese slangs in there. Any how lets go...

Twitter Status Update by Smealum
    https://twitter.com/smealum/status/445147842936844288
    Now this kinda gives some credibility to the information that a 6.x exploit might be in the vicinity.

https://twitter.com/smealum/status/448729815743741952

Also, at the same time it has been ages since GW showed any signs of life.

Just last night, I discovered this on duowan bbs.

http://evo3ds.com/

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/Qa00Wv3v32k

Apparently there is now a new player with Nand Saving proof as well.

[Read Update1 for more information]

So based on the timeline on post 2, its pretty much a certainty that 3DSLink=R4iGoldDeluxe

MT-card released with multirom on 3/1/2014. GW demoed their multirom on 21/1/2014
    GW demoed nand-save on 4/01/2014. Evo3ds demoed nand save before 22/03/2014

When you add up the facts from the timeline I made, the curious statement by smealum AND the information that the chinese dude leaked.

It seems to reinforce the idea that GW card has been abandoned, MT-card might still have a future. A new 3DS card is on the horizon. MT-card and the new 3DS-card will support 6.x consoles.

Can anyone form a counter argument based on the facts and information available so far? And please do not let blind faith cloud your interpretation and let none of the "this is a clone, ripping off GW" crap seep into your counter argument.

UPDATE1 (24/03/2014 0830)

Warning: Spoilers inside!

UPDATE2 (24/03/2014 1230)

UPDATE3 (26/03/2014 1040)

What. It looks like by some mysterious force my two first posts have been merged. Guess I'll have to hide the timeline in a spoiler to save space. Here goes!

Timeline of events (hidden in the spoiler below)

2. jagerstaffel

jagerstaffel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2008
    United States
    Say, wasn't the 2DS sold with the 6.3 firmware? Sounds interesting if the leaks are true about this whole thing...

3. DestinyFeather

DestinyFeather GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Gateway introduces brick code
    Users too afraid to buy Evo3Ds because it might be a clone that Gateway warned against.
    LOL if Gateway is behind the Evo3Ds.

jrr6415sun and Nightwish like this.
  4. lambstone
    OP

Banned
    Aug 14, 2011
    Yeah it is. A 6.x exploit will make the 3DS flash cart business more profitable due to the sheer number of consoles that are on 6.x. Also, the point to note is, he was supposedly accurate about the MT-card's appearance so he has a track record of exactly one count of being accurate. He could possibly be some insider, he did say that he's a small time shop owner so chances are perhaps the manufacturers leaked something. It's not unheard of for factories to leak information. We often see phone cases design leaked before the actual phone is revealed.

I'd love to see how the homebrew hackers respond to that. The "I do not which to make piracy more rampant argument would be moot"

Yeah. I'm kinda hoping that MT card would be the way to go right now. I'm just going to ride it out for the time being.

I've got my raspberry pi so bricking isn't that huge of a concern. I can always solder my 3ds and unbrick it. But I would actually have to solder it first which is a hassle.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    only point is that if there was an exploit in 6.x, why would they need a extra cpu, maybe smealum has a real exploit, whilst flashcard manufacturers have just figured out how to emulate the retail card properly......but then that would mean it would work on 7.x i assume

i think some/all of that "leak" is guess work, plus it says 6.1 is exploitable, whilst smealum goes as far a 6.3, if there is a 6.x exploit it would be likely it was the same exploit, in which case why would the flash card manufacturers one be more limited.

not saying evo3ds isnt gateway , kinda have a gut feeling gateway-MT-Evo could all be a clever marketing ploy to keep people buying card after card after card with no real reason for them to stop developing except to force people to buy the next one

6. lambstone
    OP

Banned
    Aug 14, 2011
    Not really sure why the exploit would require a CPU though. Maybe the chinese guy was referring to updating to add for nand based support?

Emulating a retail card would not result in multirom, not in a way that I can comprehend anyway.

Yeah possibly. The mention of 6.1 might be in err. He might mean 6.x but there is no way to know for sure. I suppose a 6.1 exploit might be the same as 6.3. Its like the current exploit is 4.1-4.5

This makes sense. It's more profitable. Chances are their work on coding the thing is no walk in the park. If it was me, I'll try to maximise my profits. Also, I think the guy in the Evo3ds is blonde. He has blonde arm hairs.

7. Smash Br0

Smash Br0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 6, 2009
    United States
    So... Gateway is obsolete?

8. lambstone
    OP

Banned
    Aug 14, 2011
    Based on the information at hand. Most likely. At least the current GW card is obsolete.

9. mvmiranda

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Brazil, Sao Paulo

You know what, that sucks real bad... I just bought my GW (like 2 month ago) and I barely used it... I was waiting for final 2.0 and NAND based save and I've just totally lost interest in GW now...
    cr*p!

10. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Well it's not 100% but from current events it looks likely that they plan to try "pop up" as a new team, I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy the evo3ds the whole thing stinks imho just dropping out and leaving customers with a dodgy b1 or bricky b2 not the sort of company I would recommend anyone get involved with, hopefully it's not as it seems though

jrr6415sun likes this.
  11. krzz

krzz GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2009
    France
    If 2.0 never come out just wait for a custom firmware. Don't give more money to these fags that they deserve.

bostonBC, Huntereb and jrr6415sun like this.
  12. lambstone
    OP

Banned
    Aug 14, 2011
    I agree with this. We should not all abandon ship and head for evo3ds. At this point, its really just something interesting when you take it in the context of recent happenings.

In an ideal world yes. But at this point of time CFW is unlikely because the hackers all have the stick of morality so far up that they won't be the ones to release CFW. I was hoping that perhaps some chinese hackers would create a CFW but at this time, I haven't even caught a whiff of anything like this happening.

As things would go, we are not a patient race. We'll probably fork out for the next cart that has either 6.x support or multi-rom and nand saves support. I know I would be.

13. xBleedingSoulx

xBleedingSoulx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    This post clarifies my own suspicions even more, good information. For all Gateway owners, let's hope it's not true.

14. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I guess getting a 3DS with 6.1 or below firmware would be a good idea now, before the prices go sky high on them... Like with the 4.5 or below ones have.

15. xBleedingSoulx

xBleedingSoulx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    The prices on 4.5 or below 3DS's haven't gone sky high... They cost exactly the same as they always have.

16. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    Well, the argument about waiting for stocks depleting does make sense with the constant, massive GW delays

By the way, if I read this correctly, GW would be hardly "obsolete" to those who already bought it for their 4.5 systems. I mean, even if GW (or anyone else under whatever name) release a second model that supports 6.x, does that really make a difference to those already on 4.5? We have footage of 6.x nand save games working on the 4.5 exploit (and all the other 6.x games are already working), and the 6.x exploit won't automatically fix any future possible issues for 7.x or 8.x, since the original firmware has already progressed past 6.x anwyay.

Unless the nand saving footage shown is actually fake hype and is really a 6.x-only exploit, merely used to buy them time?

My point is, GW could still keep their old cartridge updated, while having their v2 cart on the side for those that are on higher OFW, assuming all the fixes that work on the 6.x exploit will also work on 4.5.

If, however, GW is working with pretty much every manufacturer out there, they will have no reason to update their old cart as they will want people to buy the new carts, since they do not profit directly from giving updates to existing customers.

17. TheDreamLord

TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland

Lol, honestly that's an optimistic hope.

I'm still happy with buying it, as I can now play Pokemon X without updating my 3DS, and other games.

18. Wildblood

Wildblood Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Greece
    Thanks for the news lambstone. Nothing to do but to patiently wait it out and see where all this is going.

19. lambstone
    OP

Banned
    Aug 14, 2011
    It depends on where you purchase the 4.5 from. From mainstream stores they can't do anything. But from privately owned games shops yeah they will. The issue is that the places that sell 4.5 for retail price might soon run out, the less official sources will then mark up the price. Also 6.x units are extremely common, its... rampant.

It's obsolete in the sense it has become abandonware. It's outdated.

Yes. KeyY encryption. Look it up for the specifics. But simply put it'll sort out the PokemonX/Y save corrupted issue once and for all.

No. It makes no sense for them to do so. It's not going to happen. Financially, it's the dumbest thing to do.

Sure thing. I've meant for this to be a repository for information and for healthy discussion about the current status and events in the flash card scene. I'm just waiting for some bullheaded people to come in to say "blatant rip off" etc etc. I've seen one particular user repeatedly doing so. That was utterly nonconstructive and useless. It doesn't matter if they copied or not. It simply doesn't matter if they are making contributions. That's right, you heard me Mr. R.

20. Wildblood

Wildblood Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Greece
    You don't mean me I hope!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.