Specific autoboot & G6 DS Real

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by h8uthemost, Jun 13, 2007.

Jun 13, 2007
  1. h8uthemost
    OP

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hey guys,

I have been trying for a couple hours now, to set a specific rom to autoboot for when my G6 DS Real starts up.

I did what the GBAtemp review told me to do. It told me to edit the line in my boot file, that is located in my system folder:

This is the line to edit: [DirectRun] =/NDS/demo.nds

Now, I have my roms in a NDS folder, which is located on the root of my cart. So, all I did was replace the demo.nds, with the exact name of the rom I'm trying to autoboot.

So for example, this is what it looks like when I do it:

[DirectRun] =/NDS/Final Fantasy III.nds

So I edit that line just like that, in my boot file, then I save it. Then I turn on my DS, and it goes straight to the G6 DS menu, not to the game.

Now...on G6flash.com, the Readme for the G6 DS Real says this:

For example, if the application or game (Demo.nds) is placed in the root directory.
    Just edit the file system\"BOOT.INI" and modify the line as follows:
    [DirectRun]=/Demo.nds

Notice how it doesn't have the NDS in the line? Well, I tried taking the rom out of the NDS folder, and putting it on the root of the cart. Then editing the line like this: [DirectRun]=/Final Fantasy III.nds

But the rom still will not autoboot. I'm directly copying the name of the rom, and then pasting it in that line. So I know that I'm spelling the name of the rom exactly, since I'm directly copying it.

So do you guys see what I'm doing wrong? I even tried setting my DS to auto mode, but that didn't help either. So if you guys see what I'm doing wrong, or have any info or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

2. ProjectVirtue

Newcomer ProjectVirtue Advanced Member

Canada
    i think. it could possibly be because you have spaces between the words. This happens often.
    Soooo. Try renaming FF3 to just finalfantasyIII in 1 word. ORR. try making it Final_Fantasy_III. Most programs i know dont like spaces in the names and wont work properly. try that

3. h8uthemost
    OP

United States
    Thank you for the suggestions ProjectVirtue. But unfortunately, neither of them worked. I tried all of the combinations that I could think of, and it still doesn't work.

Have you got a G6 DS Real? Have you gotten this feature to work?

Thank you for the help.

4. ProjectVirtue

Canada
    nope. i'm expecting mine tomorrow/friday.
    i'll help you work out the kinks then.

In the meantime. Is there a possibility that after you configure the file and unplug the adapter, it doesn't actually save the changes? Try adding a music document. Then when it doesn't boot, if the music is still there, then we know its writing, but its still not working.

I haven't seen the INI file, but is there a possibility of another code at the top or bottom somewhere similar to the Master and Slave jumper for HD's? Maybe something else is taking priority over the autoboot function.

try those out. (pssst, its rainne =p)

5. h8uthemost
    OP

United States
    Oooh...what's up Raine?

I'm glad yours is arriving soon. Maybe you'll have better luck then I am with this. I honestly think this feature is broken in this firmware. The DLDI auto patcher is going to be out sometime this month(or so they say), so I'm sure they're going to be implementing it into a new firmware. And hopefully they fix this feature int he new firmware(if it is broken).

But anyways, there was a line above the [DirectRun]=/demo.nds line. So I deleted it, and tried it, and still didn't work.

And yes, the change definitely does save after I close the boot file. I open it right back up, and the editing I did is still there. Then I un-hook, and hook the cart back up to the computer, and it's still there. So it's definitely saving.

And what do you mean by a music document? An mp3?

I emailed the G6 Team about this. But those guys don't have very good customer service skills. They barely reply to anyone's emails. Unless you own a popular site or something. So I'm not expecting to hear back from them. And then I've asked a couple people that have the G6 DS, and they never tried to use the feature. So...I don't know.

Hopefully you have better luck though. Thanks for the help.

EDIT:

This is exactly what's in my boot file:

[BootType - G6DS/PASSCARD/GBA]=G6DS
    [DirectRun]=

6. ProjectVirtue

Canada
    i'm goood [​IMG]:D you dissapeared for a while off BC so i was wondering where you went =p

The m3 team has replied to be before regarding the G6. It might be worth it to give them a try. Danny seems like a pretty nice person.

Well, the mp3 was just to check if its saving.
    Have you tried a different rom? I'm sure you have but maybe FFIII was a bad dump / bad trim?
    Thinking hard here...I'm guessing you've tried formatting already. Maybe, if you reinstall the system folder again. Maybe theres a small miniscule change in your INI file thats not letting it run ie) lack of a period, bracket, comma etc.
    Shaunj66 or pharoahsvizier might be able to help you out.
    Ehtohh...i'm not sure else to try... Maybe downgrade the firmware and see if it works on an older version? if it does, try copying the old INI to the new system folder?

if that still doesn't work...i guess we can hope for the new firmware to be out soon enough and just spend a couple more seconds to push the button xD

7. h8uthemost
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I wasn't on BC for a while, on the computer at all for a little while, because it just like crashed all of a sudden. So I had to retrieve everything, since there wasn't a restore point. I don't know, my computer just freaked out.

And yeah, I asked Pharaoh about it(on SCdev.org, you should post over there), and he said he's never tried the feature. Samething with DeVs.

I've tried almost every rom on my cart. But...they are all trimmed. So maybe that's it.

I see that you got yours in. You liking it? You got the 8G right? Have you tried the autoboot feature yet? Lol...that was a lot of questions.

So let me know if you got it going. If not, then hopefully G6 implements it in the next firmware. And they have answered a couple of my emails in the past. But some they haven't. So I think they choose what ones they'll answer and not answer.

8. ProjectVirtue

Canada
    Trimmed roms. Yeah, i heard some trimmers will break down the roms. But i dont see how that will affect the autoplay if the rom itself still works fine...

yeap, i got the 8G. its awesome, i love it =p nope, haven't tried it yet, prolly in an hour or 2 after some good pokemons

9. h8uthemost
    OP

United States
    Yeah, you hold down B to boot to DS mode of your slot 2, and hold down Select to boot into GBA mode of slot 2. Is that what you were asking?

And yes, that skin is great. Definitely the best skin I have on my G6 right now. Please make more. [​IMG] There are like no skins out for the G6 DS, and you made a great one.

If you do make another one, think about making a dark one. Just throwing out some suggestions. [​IMG] Thanks again for making it.

10. rockpin

Newcomer rockpin Member

Spain
    Try to rename your rom to demo.nds.

11. h8uthemost
    OP

United States
    Hmmm...I'll give that a try and let you know you know how it went.

Thank you for the suggestion rockpin.

12. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Rename your ROM so the name isn't more then 8 letters long with no spaces or special characters. That should work.

- Sam

13. h8uthemost
    OP

United States
    Thank you for the suggestion sinkhead, but rockpin was right. You have to rename the rom as demo.nds. I can't believe I didn't think of this.

Thank you so much rockpin!