Hardware SPDIF to RCA

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, my TV has limited no. of outputs for A/V devices. Current only has one component/RCA input and four HDMI inputs. This makes swapping consoles a pain, however, I have HDMI cables for all of them. I believe that my Vizio TV has an SPDIF input on the back. So, if I were to hook up my PS3 and Wii U using HDMI, but having the sound rerouted from HDMI to my speakers instead.

I don't have a receive, only a Logitech 2.1 speakers (but believe me, they're really nice speakers), so I've no way to currently redirect the audio from the TV to the speakers.

Would this get the job done? Going from HDMI to SPDIF and back to the speaker system?
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY®-AGPtek-Digital-Optical-Converter/dp/B005DIRI6I/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_2_dp

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty much, I have the same setup I bought this one
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Fiber-Optical-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B004C4WPXA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
you can see my review on the top :P

make sure you can output to pcm audio in your tv settings before you buy this otherwise it wont work

Not sure if my TV outputs in PCM but I'm pretty sure. Makes sense, the TV would have no way to convert the HDMI to PCM and then to the RCA cables, otherwise there would be an issue. I'll have to look, but in the even that it doesn't (doubtful), what would be an alternative? One of those multi input/output devices that allow multiple sources in one?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So are you asking for TV to send audio signal to speaker? As if,

HDMI Input ------------> TV ------------> SPDIF/TOSHLIK ------------> Digital to Analog converter (DAC) ------------> Logitech Speaker

If so the adapter you have posted will work. Make sure however you disable any surround sound (Dolby Digital & DTS) on all input device.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So are you asking for TV to send audio signal to speaker? As if,

HDMI Input ------------> TV ------------> SPDIF/TOSHLIK ------------> Digital to Analog converter (DAC) ------------> Logitech Speaker

If so the adapter you have posted will work. Make sure however you disable any surround sound (Dolby Digital & DTS) on all input device.

Yeah, that sums it up pretty well, my setup is pretty weird but that would take care of swapping cables back and forth

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I call the one with big tiddies