Spanking/Belting... Child Abuse or not?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by ShadowSoldier, Dec 8, 2010.

?

Is it child abuse for a parent to spank or belt their child?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I deserved it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. My dad was a prick.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Dec 8, 2010
  1. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    re:title.

I was punished with both methods as a child. I was a very troublesome little shit, and after the spanking started to not work, my dad used the belt, and that straightened me up for life. I'm so polite even when I'm 21. I don't think of myself as the person part of the douche bag generation who acts like they own the world.

I can't see myself being this way if I hadn't been punished as a child.

What say you?

2. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    I can tell you that if a child knows you'll spank them then you don't have to spank them. All of these spineless parents who want to be best friends with their kids end up having miserable little bastards. I can also tell you that a child with rules and boundaries that are enforced with corporal punishment if necessary are happier.

3. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Totally agree. I wouldn't be the fine upstanding citizen I am today without the wooden paddle my dad made in woodshop. [​IMG]

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I've gotten smacked on the arm once, that's about it.
    My dad and everybody else says I was always a good kid.

BUT NO, NOW I'M A FUCKING FURRY. GOOD JOB DAD.

5. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    That's seriously the biggest horse shit I've ever heard. If a child knows that they could be spanked/belted for something, they're going to be in fear a lot. They aren't going to live happy lives, at least until they move out. Punishment rarely does anything for kids, especially things like taking away video games and whatnot, unless they really can't live without it, and attempt suicide or some extreme crap. After a few times, they just don't care and they find something else to do.

On-topic: I don't find any means of physical punishment helpful at all, as it just makes the child fearful, they develop hermit-like symptoms, etc...Parents don't think of the long lasting effect physical punishment can have on a child, and they just go ahead and beat them. It's not really solving any problems there might be either, which is what punishment is supposed to do. It just puts more and more fear into the child, leading to the point where they think anything they do will earn them a nice belt to the ass.

I've seen it happen tons of times, and it happened to me years ago. I've "recovered" I guess you could say from it, and I don't feel all depressed or hermit-like anymore. But to those kids that have it happen to them, the lasting effect might not go away.

6. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    I couldnt care less if its abuse or not im hitting my kids. That may sound terrible but it worked for me and millions of children before me. It brought up many great people and not spanking kids isnt gonna be bring up any less bad people. I'm sure this is flame worthy but i dont care. If the kids deserves to be hit he/ she will.

7. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Canada
    I was spanked a lot. I was also belted a lot. I'm not fearful of my parents. I learned to stay in line and I learned what was right to do, and what was fun but wrong to do very early.

8. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    I guess my story is different, as it wasn't even one of my parents that belted me, but my mom's one boyfriend/sister's dad. He did it out of pure hate towards us, even if we didn't do anything wrong. He was a hateful and just all out horrible person, so the reason behind his punishment was different than any other parent.

My mom knew about it, but I think she was living under fear of him as well. My mom used to spank us before that, but even then, it was with warning so we knew why we were getting spanked. Same with things like getting soap in our mouths for saying bad words.

9. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    Add a poll its better

10. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    My Dad was always 'strict but fair' - he'd only gave us kids a spank if we deserved it (which usually was if we broke one of the 'house rules')

Usually we were given a verbal warning & if we continued then we got spanked with the hand (usually a light slap) if we still continued then it was the Belt (just hard enough for it to sting)

We KNEW why we got punished, We were given a chance to stop & We knew the consequences of continuing, so the argument of 'It just puts more and more fear into the child' IMHO doesn't really holds it own.
    The three of us 'kids' have grown up to be quite respectable adults. We know the 'rights' from the 'wrongs', we also have respect for others

Unlike nowadays.....

The 'youngsters' of today - they don't have any respect for elders, cheeky, swear and god knows what else - I've have even heard 6-7yr olds swear to their parents (I didn't even know what swear words were until I started Senior school) & yet the parents do nothing about it

There has to be a fine line between 'constant punishment' and 'laid back' approach - I think my Dad had it just right - but IMHO there HAS to be some form of punishment for 'wrong doings', otherwise kids get the wrong message & could end up doing much more serious 'crimes' - just look at the teenagers of today, going round in gangs, carrying knife & guns, being disrespectful etc...& why is that I wonder ?? [​IMG] .....

11. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    If I use spanking as punishment I always ask them to tell me why they are in trouble and we talk about how this could have been avoided and I tell them that I love them. Now I have spanked and I will spank but 99.9% of the time a threat will do because they know it's a threat I'm fully comfortable carrying out. There's a big difference between using spanking as one of many tools and abusing a child. I can tell you all that every parent I know that doesn't or hasn't spanked has dysfunctional little defiant bastards. All I have to say to that is it'd have to be over my dead body that I'd let an impudent little prick rule the roost.

12. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Canada
    That's where I think spanking is perfectly fine. Verbal warnings doesn't do shit or verbal punishments.

"Your grounded!" Well the kid doesn't lose anything, he stays inside and plays games and watch's tv.
    "On the count of 3..." Or what?

Seriously, so many kids in this generation just walk over adults. And A LOT of kids who weren't punished as a kid, they treat everybody like shit. I mean honestly, the little high school sluts who are 15, have a cell phone, racks up 100's of dollars in bills and doesn't do their work and they party.

13. Riley

Member Riley GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Its not child abuse they need to be punished somehow. Real child abuse is when you use the phonebook [​IMG]

14. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    I am somewhat similar to you. When I was a kid (about the age of 2-7), I used to be a stubborn, violent, and a very curious little bastard, so much that I pissed off my parents' bosses. I also used to steal A LOT, whether it be video games, toys, money - whatever appealed to me. My parents would always find out if I had been stealing things. They would resort to a stick or a whip to punish me. I then soon realize that they punished me only for the good of it. I went from being insanely violent to being docile. And of course...I've stopped stealing ever since I was 8.

15. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    There needs to be discipline somewhere.
    Actually i think some kids respond better to spanking than others.
    Some respond better to timeouts.
    Its up to the discernment of the parent. And we have to trust that the parents are fit parents :/

I dont believe spanking is "Abuse"
    And most of you know you deserved it.
    BUT sometimes there are dads that are pricks.

16. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    I remember being a loud little fucker at home. [​IMG] I feared the wooden oar looking thing in my room. Very smart move. I got hit by it once when I was 6, then they left it in my room. Never got hit again. [​IMG]

17. aiRWaLKRe

Member aiRWaLKRe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's not abuse if you do it when they misbehave. Just doing it for the hell of it is abuse. Kids need to be spanked when they misbehave. I was a good kid I only needed it twice in my life. I see to many little sh**s running around acting like they think they own the world and do whatever they want, the parents just smile and look away. I so want to walk up to the little brat and yell to the parent " This is how you discipline your child *red palm of death on bare behind* !!!" But that wouldn't go over good with the law, unfortunately.

18. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Physically speaking, it's nothing.
    Psychologically, speaking, spanking is a very complex matter. It could cause you to become a gentleman (like the TC), but for others it might cause them to become insane or criminals. It's not a chance I'm willing to take so I wouldn't do it, ever.

19. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Spanking no, but if you use any kind of physical object other than your hand, I would consider it child abuse.

That being said, as a parent I believe that the CONSEQUENCE should fit the crime. Notice I said consequence, and not punishment. A child should never be punished but there should always be a consequence for their actions, such as if my child won't get off the game after told, after a reasonable time (Finishing a match, finishing the level, getting to a save spot, etc...is acceptable) They get the game taken away for a period. Stay out past curfew? You will be in the house at all times save for school and doctors appointments for a certain period.

20. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    well good for the poll