Spaceworld 1997 CD-ROM trailer of cancelled Earthbound 64 sells for over $300, features new footage

Mother series fans in Japan eventually got to play Mother 3, while the west languished, never able to play the game in English, at least in an official capacity. However, there's a version of Mother 3 that neither region ever got to experience: the original Nintendo 64 version. Despite "Mother 3", or "Earthbound 64" being cancelled and resuming development in a new form on the Game Boy Advance, it's always fun to see how games came to be, whether it be through test footage or beta builds. Which is why an incredibly short trailer for some CD-ROM footage of the cancelled game ended up selling for over $300. Twiitter user Zen64 purchased the CD, which was from a Nintendo Company Report, and featured a Spaceworld 1997 for Mother 3 on the Nintendo 64. There's been footage of the game unearthed in the past, such as a teaser from Spaceworld 1996 that was only discovered in 2019, or the original IGN trailer for the game, so this isn't the first time gameplay has been seen, but a lot of the footage in Zen64's CD-ROM is new. Ripped as-is, without sound, you can see a full 25 seconds of what the game would have been like, had it ever been released.

Attachments

• eb.png
    eb.png
    702.7 KB · Views: 249

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the version that neither country got.

hope we see more pop up soon. would be interesting to get hands on gameplay if there is any.

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
A 3D earthbound on switch would be amazing !
I've been daydreaming about that ever since Link's Awakening released. I think it would look great in that style / engine ( stuttering not included).
If I was Nintendo I would totally do that ASAP instead of investing in things like so many Kirby games.

Reactions: Ajlr

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over