Space for save files? WarioWare DIY? R4 Wood?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by caribou007, Dec 19, 2010.

Dec 19, 2010
  1. caribou007
    OP

Member caribou007 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I need to know how much free space I should leave on the 2gb Micro SD card, used with a Wood R4 original, for game save files and applications such as Colours! and Moonshell, if that applies.

Will have about 30 games there, all trimmed, including WarioWare DIY, and I have heard that save files for WarioWare DIY are about 32 mb, is that true?

This will be a gift and I don't have a NDS to test with so I need to make sure everything will work.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Most saves are 256KB or 512KB at the most. Warioware DIY's 32 megs is definitely not the norm for games.

Moonshell doesn't really save any files of notable size, other than a bookmark or two (very small) when reading text.

A saved image from Colors! could be about a megabyte, though. It doesn't actually save the image when you save a drawing or download one from the gallery, what it saves is all the brush strokes that made it (that's how it can replay it). Of course if you're going to use the "export" function things will take up more space, try exporting both a medium and large drawing to see for yourself. It also has a gallery cache folder, but that's less than a meg each time I've seen it.

3. caribou007
    OP

Canada
    If there isn't enough space will data be overwritten?

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I don't know what will happen if there's not enough space on that card using wood, I wouldn't risk it. Don't want to corrupt the whole filesystem because of one save. If you really need to cram a bunch of stuff, just go for a card that can use microsdhc.

5. caribou007
    OP

Canada
    Thanks Rydian. If anyone can say what happens when the system tries to create a game save when there isn't enough space, it would make a good conclusion to this topic.

6. Alex658

Member Alex658 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Venezuela
    It would give an error. File could not be created thing.
    I haven't tested it myself.. but it sounds pretty much right..

I only know of two games that occupy the 32MB sav. Jam with the Band (E) An excellent rhythm game. and WarioWare D.I.Y.
    The other Sav files are commonly 512KB..

I would say to leave at least 32MB (Delete one of the small games) just to be sure everything goes out well..

7. caribou007
    OP

Canada
    thank you