1. 1c4rus

1c4rus Member
    Newcomer

Japan
    I'd say fuck Microshit! I'm glad that Discord show them the middle finger to go fuck elsewhere. Hope SE would do the same, although I've already heard that SE is not interested in M$'s deal anyway. Wish any Japanese studio would say to fuck off to them as well.

diggeloid and felix.200 like this.
  2. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    Don't brag about being young when the subject is ICQ or MSN Messenger. We used those thins as tinder, I said that before, so a big part of your generation was made of the dates we arranged there... you know... birds and bees...

3. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Bummer. Guess they'll continue to be opaquely funded by a variety of companies, reportedly including major Chinese companies. And that's not even touching on the joke that is their content moderation team.

4. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    Discord fears the same fade about Ms with Skype.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Except IRC you can run your own servers, write your own clients and not have to deal with whatever whims the owners of the protocol and servers it runs on have that week.

ChaosEternal likes this.
  6. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    I still like IRC but sadly it's not very accessible for a lot of people these days, Discord has the benefit of well, being popular and easier for online communities.

I have a discord group with 5 people that belong to my usual FFXIV party, it wouldn't be as pratical using IRC for the less tech savy.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Is IRC so desperately impractical for people?
    Some seem to make adding new servers not in the list a chore, though most modern ones will happily list the channels on a server, assuming your custom one is not autojoin.

8. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Originally it was just a group chat, eventually made a group because they wanted to stream, share memes and screenshots. A lot of people these days don't even know what IRC is, sadly.

I used to belong to some manga fan translation groups roughly 10/12 years ago, it was all on IRC back then. Nowadays they only seem to be using discord.

9. Burorī

Burorī GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    Microsoft would definitely do a better job at this shit tbh

10. Jacklack3

Jacklack3 ( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here

Canada
    Skype was losing it's original team before it was bought out, and other services were just getting better than skype while skype didn't change.

Microsoft knows they would gets lots of backlash and waaay less customers if they did that, there's no reason to do it cause they know they'd lose money. (And also Discord is better already so it would've been less work for Microsoft.

Microsoft has gotten better at this kind of thing, people thought Github was going to be ruined but it just stayed the same and got some extra features.

11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    It might've been better for them if they had said yes, because it's almost certain that Discord is not profitable. Their only source of income is Nitro, which hardly anyone pays for. Yet their bandwidth usage is through the roof with all the video chats.
    In my mind that is not a positive thing. Discord is too easy to use and popular, it's nothing but shitposting and memes.

12. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    not only that but theyre also buying square enix!!! finally theyll stop circlejerking sony and final fantasy can be multiplat!!!!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

fuck that bro xbox needs some japanese market share. tired of garbage bintendo and SOnY dominating the japanese market.

13. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp's Resident Bastard

United States
    -snip-

Last edited by IncredulousP, Apr 21, 2021
  14. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Square Enix already refuted that claim.

15. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Not surprised. In today's stock market any tech company is valued for at least $40 billion. *cough*Roblox*cough*

16. ken28

ken28 GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Sources for that claim? First time I heard about that.

17. BitMasterPlus

BitMasterPlus GBAtemp Regular

United States

This is where I first heard about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Microsofts, rejected, Sources