1. CompSciOrBust

CompSciOrBust GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    History repeats it's self. This exact thing happened with the Xbox one's GPU drivers. Xbox Underground 2.0.

Kazuto_Zed likes this.
  2. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

United States
    It is. It's been floating around other channels. This would be useful in creating bootleg hardware, or even developing an emulator, but that's about it. To the layman, this is useless, and anyone looking to hoard it is wasting their time.

Kazuto_Zed likes this.
  3. jDSX

jDSX GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    For some reason I really do hope its a stupid script kiddie that got lucky, gets a life crippling punishment for it and sets an example for all the other kiddies as to how the world really works.

Zhongtiao1 likes this.
  4. Dominator211

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

United States
    My favorite quote is by far this...

“I haven’t spoken to AMD about it because I am pretty sure that instead of accepting their mistake and moving on, they will try to sue me. So why not just leak it to everyone?” she added."

I can see both sides of the equation. On the one hand I can see the legality of it where she did/is going to, commit a crime. I believe that nobody is above the law and that she should be prosecuted for it. On the other hand... I see the value from a cyber security standpoint. AMD did mess up big time. Like explain to me (assuming this code is stored in a secured server) explain to me how someone from the outside was able to get in to a building that was supposed to be secured. Then get access to a computer which is supposed to have a password. Like do I eve need to go on? AMD messed big time and they are paying the price.

As for the value of the code, it would be interesting to see where that 10 million estimate came from. Also could someone explain what this code actually does?

Kazuto_Zed likes this.
  5. Zhongtiao1

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I see you mistakenly put Microsoft instead of PlayStation. Just wanted to point that out

Kazuto_Zed likes this.
  6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    Cool, maybe it will lead to better emulation on the far future.

7. Zhongtiao1

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If she found an exploit in the network where she could access the computers and their data, why not notify AMD through the bug bounty program? Why actually steal the data? It's completely illegal what she has done. Even from a cyber security standpoint.

There's a pretty large line between white hat and black hat. She jumped way beyond it

Last edited by Zhongtiao1, Mar 26, 2020 at 5:22 PM
  8. Dominator211

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

United States
    I never ever said that it wasn't illegal what she did.

9. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Addict

Austria
    Wow, she really tries hard to ruin her life!

10. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Poland
    Source please? For my personal research.

11. junker

junker GBAtemp Regular

United States

Yooo, you mean to tell me GPUs are created with Verilog HDL? Seems....inefficient. That's incredible. I'm not an expert in the hardware design field, but far back in college we used Verilog to program FPGAs, and I thought Verilog and that oher HDL language were used for higher/higher level stuff, not GPU design.

12. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's legit verilog. If you look at job postings for CPU/GPU Architects at AMD/Intel, they want like 10 years of SystemVerilog experience. The filenames from this appeared to be regular verilog though (.v) and not systemverilog (.sv).

13. junker

junker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That's awesome, thanks for the info! CPU/GPU design and how it's done has always been a mystery to me, and didn't really learn too much in school.

14. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

United States
    i'm pretty sure this is no script kiddy nor a novice hacker (VPN,fake social media accounts,non extraditing country) I mean no ones that stupid to hold data for ransom or sell it and even boast about it on a torrent news site i wouldn't be supprised if she's a russian kgb agent selling tech info in her free time

Kazuto_Zed likes this.
  15. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Addict

Austria
    https://wccftech.com/amd-stolen-gpu-ip-exclusive/
    Information on what the AMD GPU leak actually is and is not:

Here is what the AMD GPU IP leak actually is:

• Partial Verilog files that are typically used in the construction of processors.
    • The Verilog files in question represent a single and isolated function(s) on the GPU - NOT the whole/actual GPU blueprint. This I believe is the most important takeaway and context for the IP theft. This particular function(s) is not very exciting and not part of AMD's core IP.
    • Based on the leaker's screenshots, the files they have not yet leaked are more of the same and also nowhere close to being a complete "source code". In other words, the total stolen IP represents a very small fraction of the "source code" needed to build and design a GPU.
    • These Verilog files are built on a proprietary schematic that is only compatible with AMD's internal design language (in other words, these are going to be close to useless to a third party).
    Here is what the AMD GPU IP leak is not:

• It cannot be used to design or build any of the mentioned products - not even close.
    • It cannot be used to reverse engineer product performance.
    • It cannot be used to easily reverse engineer any features/product specifications. This comment is based on the files leaked so far. The source estimates that it may be possible for the full list of files to be used to arrive at a couple of very high-level specifications but this should not be an issue because most of this information is already public.
    • It does not contain any data that can be used to easily/immediately bypass any security features on AMD RDNA GPUs. Caveat: there is a very slim possibility that it may be used to discover a vulnerability in the functions stolen in this theft.
    • It does not contain any "crown jewel" IP. In fact, I am told that this would not even constitute a "significant" theft to a company like AMD in terms of the severity of the information compromised (any theft is still very significant by virtue of the act of course).

Joom and Kazuto_Zed like this.
  16. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

United States
    I don't have it, sorry, that was forever ago, though I'm willing to bet it's still floating around on PBay or something somewhere.

MarkDarkness likes this.
  17. |<roni&g

|<roni&g GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I hope the sx is hacked within a year of release. Xb1 & ps4 have stank for cfw, not like the glory days of 360 n pstriple

18. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

United States
    With people working remotely thanks to COVID, all it would take is compromising a naive employee and jacking the VPN credentials they have to use to access the company network. Security concerns are through the roof right now because of this. Security departments can't secure home networks.

Zhongtiao1 likes this.
  19. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I'd be more interested in possible hardware exploits for the new console, maybe mod chips. Those are the people who will want to see this stuff.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - reportedly, Source, Series