Hacking SoundHax working from 1.0 to 11.3 now? Yeah, with universal-otherapp!

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
FYI: Thanks to the amazing job of TuxSH (and other developers), we can enjoy right now of SoundHax on any 3DS/2DS consoles with firmware version between 1.0 and 11.3. And on a very easy way, thanks to the universal-otherapp appearance:

universal-otherapp

Otherapp payload compatible with system versions 1.0 to 11.3 (all regions, all models) that leverages full exploit chains to ultimately execute a payload from the SD card.

Usage

This depends on the exploit. The recommended exploit for system versions 1.0 to 11.3 is [soundhax](https://github.com/nedwill/soundhax), in which case you just have to put `otherapp.bin` onto the root of your SD card.

Then, now is totally possible an unified SoundHax method for that FW specific versions, and no more need of *hax otherapp payload + Homebrew Launcher + safehax + udsploit to gain access to kernel and execute an arm9 bin payload (SafeB9SInstaller, mainly).

GitHub:
https://github.com/TuxSH/universal-otherapp

Last edited by fmkid,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Awesome!
Every time I think there is no room for further improvement anymore, I get proven wrong.
Installing CFW on a 2|3DS with low firmware is now easier than ever. If it's tested enough it should be on the guide.

Thanks for the information @fmkid

fmkid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Awesome!
Every time I think there is no room for further improvement anymore, I get proven wrong.
Installing CFW on a 2|3DS with low firmware is now easier than ever. If it's tested enough it should be on the guide.

Thanks for the information @fmkid
You're welcome... (But all the real merit is for the developers who made this possible)

And I personally tried with my OLD 3DS on FW 9.2U (after downgrading it) and working like a charm!

Awesome work. :)

Seems that browserhax got recently an update too and is working again on the latest ofw^^
Yeah, master @zoogie is on it:

https://github.com/zoogie/new-browserhax-XL

For now, only available for NEW model consoles. But, indeed, are great news!

Last edited by fmkid,

fmkid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
And the guide was finally updated with the unified SoundHax method, thanks to the universal-otherapp payload:

Screenshot_20201213-000903_Opera.jpg

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ooooooooh, it was 11.3, not 11.13 :facepalm: Nintendo, what's wrong with you and your numbering scheme?
The otherapp doesn't use any new exploit, it's "just" an universal one.

Last edited by Valery0p,

fmkid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Ooooooooh, it was 11.3, not 11.13 :facepalm: Nintendo, what's wrong with you and your numbering scheme?
Totally right. Many people used to be confused with that (I saw it)

The otherapp doesn't use any new exploit, it's "just" an universal one.
The universal-otherapp is triggered in first place by an ARM11 user exploit (like SoundHax, or pottentialy any other *Hax), and then, it leads to ARM11 kernel then to ARM9 kernel access by itself on a chain reaction.

But, the exploits (user and kernel) depends of the system version flaws that the console has actually:
https://github.com/TuxSH/universal-otherapp#technical-details

Then, in conclusion: universal-otherapp is not an exploit at all (it need a ARM11 user exploit to start), but is an easy, elegant and direct kernel access exploit trigger and ARM9 payload loader

Last edited by fmkid,
universal-otherapp compatible with 11.14

fmkid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Update: Now universal-otherapp is compatible with up to 11.14 (latest system firmware):

https://github.com/TuxSH/universal-otherapp/releases/tag/v1.1.0

Then, we can use it in conjuction with BrowserHax-XL, PicHaxx or SteelHax (and any other possible *Hax compatible with 11.14) to hack easily our consoles!
  • BrowserHax-XL is now usable, with universal-otherapp v1.2.0
  • I personally tested PicHaxx + universal-otherapp on my OLD 3DS, USA region, and it pretty works!
  • SteelHax isn't recommended at this time, but it also should work, after all

Last edited by fmkid,

fmkid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Agbhax. Because the Safe_firm wasn't the only one they forgot to update :rofl2:
Also if that readme is right a new version of soundhax should be released soon :creep:
Agbhax is the ARM9 kernel exploit that is triggered by universal-otherapp on the latest version.

And about SoundHax on latest FW 11.14, I really doubt (because it was patched with 11.4), but just rest to wait.
There's also a rumour about a possible Swapdoodle exploit revival(?), but wait to see.

For now, we only have:
(edited)

Last edited by fmkid,

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Agbhax is the ARM9 kernel exploit that is triggered by universal-otherapp on the latest version.
Yes, I know, I was referring to Nintendo not patching know exploitation routes on all system components. ;)
And about SoundHax on latest FW 11.14, I really doubt (because it was patched with 11.4), but just rest to wait.
Then why this line of the readme was edited?
This depends on the exploit. The recommended exploit for system versions 1.0 to 11.14 is [soundhax](https://github.com/nedwill/soundhax), in which case you just have to put `otherapp.bin` onto the root of your SD card.

Last edited by Valery0p,

fmkid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Last edited by fmkid,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So now that this is out, universal-otherapp (I assume agbhax as well) is patchable right?
Absolutely, but knowing Nintendo and their tendency to not touch code running on the arm9, they might only patch browserhax XL probably (and maybe the kernel11 exploit chain).

Also, I don't know if TuxSH has read this post, that bit about soundhax working on the latest firmware was a typo apparently:(
https://github.com/TuxSH/universal-otherapp/commit/2248094be1bd8952882ea87a68313e62251edc50

Last edited by Valery0p,

fmkid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Reactions: Alexander1970

techmuse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About that, do you know if only arm11code.bin is enough, or if it's also necessary the browserhax-ropbin-payload file (according to each region)?
Unfortunately I don't have a NEW console to test it by myself

I only needed arm11code.bin for US New (Couldn’t get out of quote mode)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 293
Last edited by x65943, , Reason: post was placed in quotes on accident
Reactions: Valery0p and fmkid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.