Gaming Sound not working on computer

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've tried everything to get it working but still no sound! It worked fine before but last week I went on the computer to find I couldn't get any sound from it! My little brother had been using it last before the sound problem occured and he tells me he did nothing wrong on it but I dunno...

DarkRey

still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
sound card got disabled(go the hardware manager and see if there is anything wrong with the sound card)?
find your sound card model and install the drivers

check the speaker's cable. take the cables out and put it back on.

check the speaker's volume(make sure its not muted).

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Been messing in device manager, all is fine and I updated all my drivers but no success.

Had a look and see no cables come loose or anything although there is a small green hole in the back of my monitor, is something meant to be in their?

Speakers volume is definitely not muted, it's up on my actual monitor, it's up on the volume control panel.

Thanks for replying tho.

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
check that you have no hidden devices
wink2.gif

there is a way to do it through dos to get into device manager and see every single thing you've ever attatched to the computer
remove anything from the sound you don't need

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
wow, if you doubt it then i'm not sure i should waste my time................. i'm sure somebody else will be able to tell you how to do this

i had a similar problem way back and this is the only thing to get it sorted

you could try reinstalling windows
rolleyes.gif

tell you what i'm feeling generous and i'll throw you a bone, look up "ghost devices in device manager" through google

christ try wikipedia and look up device manager

dry.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wait wait. You say you use your monitor's speakers, yet no audio cable is connected? Unless you have HDMI with audio in there, that don't work
tongue.gif
. Sounds strange to me that it DID work in the past and now suddenly doesn't anymore when you say everything is connected but a well. Could be the audio cable IS in there and the second hole is audio out (to use ones monitor as volume control)....

Anyway, I suggest trying a linux live CD or something, to see if the audio device / setup itself still works, as you see nothing changed hardware wise. Could be the driver fell over or something but as you say you already tried reinstalling it. Don't assume an IRQ error as that would have been worse
smile.gif

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Scorpei said:
Shelleeson said:
look up "ghost devices in device manager" through google

dry.gif
You should use letmegooglethatforyou
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
well ya gotta do some things occassionally for people even if they look like they're being ungreatful

it took a year and a half to get my sound back again.....................
rofl2.gif

and a hell of a lot of searching google and i even asked on here but no one could help me

a new sound card didn't sort it either because of all the crappy drivers i must have had floating about
rolleyes.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Do headphones work? (plug them straight into the back of your computer. There may be a headphone port with a little picture of headphones above it, or you might have to unplug the monitor's speaker cable and shove them in there). This will help us narrow down whether it's a problem with the computer's settings or if it's the monitor connection that's causing the problem.

ackers said:
Speakers volume is definitely not muted... it's up on the volume control panel
Sorry if you've tried this, but did you check the full version of the volume controls to check that certain types of sound haven't been muted? (in XP, by double-clicking the volume control icon in the taskbar). Even if the master volume is on there are some individual mute settings here which may be disabled, specifically the "Wave" setting will silence most commonly used sounds.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'although there is a small green hole in the back of my monitor, is something meant to be in their?'

Yes... the audio cable. Gee I wonder why your sound doesn't work now

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shelleeson - sorry didn't mean to upset you I'll check google later

Scorpei - I've looked all around my desktop area and see no disconnected cables at all so unless a ghost ran off with an audio cable I don't see how there could've been something in the green hole in the first place when the sound worked... although I don't think this monitor uses hdmi either... strange.

Psyfira - tried earphones and they don't work in the front of the monitor in the headphone port and I also tried putting them in the back of the monitor in the mysterious green hole and still no sound (I'm actually surprised they fitted in though!).

Linkiboy - thanks smartass. Now give me back my cable?
tongue.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No... don't plug it into your monitor... plug the headphones into your PC. See if there is a green cable coming out of the back of the PC.

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ah just plugged them into the tower and I get sound from one of the holes... so maybe a ghost did run off with an audio cable...

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How else am i supposed to say it? Well I could've said inputs i guess..
shy.gif

still no sign of the mysterious vanishing audio cable though.
frown.gif

edit: omg, found an audio cable in my cupboard. sound at last!
smile.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Your brother wasn't on your PC on April 1st by any chance was he?
The lying little sod, sounds like time for a good ol' fashioned sibling beatdown!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: A PS3 pkg i downloaded