• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 3,956
  • Replies 20
D

Deleted_171835

OP
133750-gb.jpg

I purchased the DSi at Toys "R" Us. That was nearly 11 months ago. I decided to do a review now because after spending so much time surely I developed a solid opinion, unbiased opinion. The box of the DSi is fairly attractive. It's slightly bigger then the DS Lite's box but still relatively small. The DSi comes with a charger, extra stylus and an extremely thick manual.

The DSi is almost identical to the Nintendo DS Lite aside from the two shitty cameras, the location of the power button and the new indicator lights. The DSi is 4 mm thinner than the DS Lite and 5 mm wider. The matte finish is more prone to scratches then the glossy finish on the DS Lite as I’ve already got a few scratches. The system feels more durable in your hand and the hinge is more durable. The two speakers are two small holes adding to the professional feel of it. You adjust the volume with a push-button control instead of a slider. On of the more notable deductions is the lack of a GBA slot. Nintendo claims that it's because of size issues. I consider that pure bullshit considering that it'll only add a few millimetres to the system. Another notable addition is the two 0.3 megapixel cameras. The photos are crappy but you can't tell that just by looking at the pictures on the systems small screen. The stylus is slightly bigger making it easier to grasp for people with big hands.

The Nintendo DSi has a significant amount of new software preinstalled. I find the Nintendo DSi Shop to be the application that has the most potential. Like WiiWare it's used to distribute games and applications. As of March '10 there are a small amount of great games. Flipnote Studio was the first great free application for the shop. Personally, I enjoyed Birds and Beans the most out of all the 'mini-games' on the shop. The web browser distributed on the shop is decent. It's not practical when browsing sites like GBAtemp, though. The future looks bright for DSiWare based on the games revealed at GDC '10.

The DSi has a sound recording application. It's a boring application. It relies on the novelty factor to keep you amused. After a few minutes you grow tired of it and move on to other stuff. The music player on the other hand is decent. I find it interesting to listen to song with a different pitch and tone. The music player will be of little use to the people on GBAtemp, though as the majority of us have flashcarts and use Moonshell, a vastly superior homebrew app.

Pictochat hasn't changed a lot since the DS Lite. It's the same chatting application that you've probably got used to over the years with the exception of a rainbow coloured pen. Pictochat hasn't had any notable changes. DS Download Play is also the same.

The camera application is rather boring. You can adjust photos and add hearts and other shapes to the photos. The photos taken by the DSi are shitty but you won't notice it unless you send it to a computer. With the 1.4 update you can upload photos to Facebook. I'm sure many people would enjoy that feature. The camera application is one of those things that you use once and never use again. If you want to take good photos, buy a digital camera, not this.

The Nintendo DSi can connect to WEP, WPA (AES/TKIP) and WPA2 (AES/TKIP) networks unlike the DS Lite. It only supports in DSi applications though. You can't connect to the aforementioned networks when running regular DS games.

The DSi has improved specs. It has an ARM9 is clocked at 133 MHz, 16 MB of RAM and 256 MB of internal flash memory. You can expand the available space on the device by using an SD(HC) card. The improved specifications of the DSi enable many new things to happen. DSi games can make use of the added memory. No DSi game has used the upgraded specs in a way that I can consider notable, to date.

The DSi has not been hacked to make use of the DSi-mode, yet. When it is hacked, homebrew can make use of the upgraded specs to create interesting applications. Flashcarts currently can only access the DS-mode of the DSi. The best flashcart for the DSi at the moment by popular appeal is the Acekard 2i. The firmware of the DSi is upgradeable via Wi-Fi. I believe Nintendo incorporated that just to be able to block flashcarts via new updates.

Overall

I do not believe the DSi is worthy of a purchase. The added features do not provide enough compensation for the lack of a GBA slot. Unless you're in a dire need of a DS and have the money to purchase it. The DS Lite is a much better value.

DO NOT GET
---
This is my first proper review on GBAtemp. Post any constructive criticism you have for it and I'll put it to use for my next review in April. If you're wondering why I spell 'color' with a u. That's because that's the Canadian (and British) way of spelling it. The proper way!

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, another user of proper spelling!
hrth.gif

OT: You've changed what you're changing your name to again?
wtf.gif
It was Uran7um, then Revo...make your mind up...
rolleyes.gif

D

Deleted_171835

OP
I agree with you guys.

I shouldn't form my opinion on the device on baseless stuff. I should be reviewing the device. Not what may happen in the future. I've edited the review to reflect that.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
N64Temp said:
DSi is better than GBA. GBA didn't have much good games.
Are you insane? The GBA had tons of good games such as Metroid Fusion and Wario Ware: Mega Microgame$. The GBA was the pinnacle of great portable gaming. The lack of a GBA slot in the DSi prevents Pokemon DPPt and HGSS owners to migrate Pokemon and also prevents DSi owners from playing many of the classics people have grown to love.

The DSi does not offer enough things to compensate for the lack of a GBA slot. I should know. And, obviously the DSi is better then the GBA. The Game Boy Advance is an old and thus inferior system.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The way I see it is if you need a new DS and you got the money for a DSi then go for it.

I have to partially agree with N64Temp. While the GBA had alot of good games on it, the NDS kind of tops the GBA in amount of good games. I could make a list and it would stretch my post...a lot...

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you only have a DS Phat or Lite to play GBA games, there's no need to upgrade to a DSi. Otherwise, I recommend it. The lack of a GBA slot isn't that bad IMO, even though I'd love to Pal Park some Pokémons on my DSi.

Good review though.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's say theoretically that you do have a GBA-compatible device (like a GBA itself or an older DS). Would this be a worthy purchase then? I mean, it was meant to be an "upgrade" to the DS model, and most people who bought a DSi already have a DS or at least a GBA. Hell, GBA's are dirt cheap nowadays. You can even get one of these.

The GBA had a lot of good games, but DSiWare is really starting to become viable. It's getting quite a few good gems, from Rayman to Dark Void Zero to Mario vs. DK to Link 'n' Launch to...

I think it's a worthy purchase if you have a GBA or an older DS.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Guild McCommunist said:
Let's say theoretically that you do have a GBA-compatible device (like a GBA itself or an older DS). Would this be a worthy purchase then? I mean, it was meant to be an "upgrade" to the DS model, and most people who bought a DSi already have a DS or at least a GBA. Hell, GBA's are dirt cheap nowadays. You can even get one of these.

The GBA had a lot of good games, but DSiWare is really starting to become viable. It's getting quite a few good gems, from Rayman to Dark Void Zero to Mario vs. DK to Link 'n' Launch to...

I think it's a worthy purchase if you have a GBA or an older DS.
It's also super useful if you have big hands, like Guild or me, because holding a Lite just gives me cramps after a while
frown.gif
I wonder how the DSi LL would fit in my hands... Probably quite good, and I want to buy it, but I already have a shitload of 'expensive', great DSiWare on my DSi and I don't plan on buying it again... Also, I won't have any money left when I buy Pokémon. Heck, I don't even know if I'll have enough to buy it...

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT:
Overlord Nadrian said:
It's also super useful if you have big hands, like Guild or me, because holding a Lite just gives me cramps after a while
frown.gif
I wonder how the DSi LL would fit in my hands... Probably quite good, and I want to buy it, but I already have a shitload of 'expensive', great DSiWare on my DSi and I don't plan on buying it again... Also, I won't have any money left when I buy Pokémon. Heck, I don't even know if I'll have enough to buy it...

You can transfer DSiWare from one DSi to another, you just have to call Nintendo and hope you get someone sympathetic with you. A friend of mine did it. Just gotta have both DSi's in hand when you call them.

I have to say, this review seems extremely....biased. I disagree on it on just about everything. People really, really, REALLY need to stop bawwing about the fucking drop of the GBA slot. It was inevitable, people. Dead consoles and handhelds lose support. It happens. GET OVER IT.

The GBA slot was removed because it required special hardware for it. They probably COULD have made the DSi smaller and thinner, but that'd mean poorer build quality. On top of that, they weren't going to keep the GBA forever. I mean, GB/GBC got dropped with the ORIGINAL DS. Just from that, people MUST have known it was going to happen.

Besides, the DS kindasorta tops the GBA in terms of how many good games they have. Onto the volume button, the new one works much, much, much better. Besides the fact that the slider moved too easily, it generally wasn't very good. And broke easily. The cameras. Not the best quality, but I suppose this all comes down to whether or not you're a quality whore.

And you fail to realize just how many good games are on DSiWare now. Yeah, I admit, it started off really, really slow. But that was last year. We have a craptonne of good games on it now. Cheap, as well.

Really, your review is rather shitty. Then again, before you even made this review, I'd be willing to bet that you were a DSi-troll. Meh.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
B-Blue said:
shinkukage09 said:
B-Blue said:
One word: iPlayer

You're doing it wrong. Supercard DSTWO.

Or that. But it's not out yet.

Also, inb4 omg im a pussy i cant carry two flashcarts they're too heavy!!!11!111one!1!!

Or just get a PSP and hack it and get N64, GBA, and SNES (and a lot of other emulators as well).

D

Deleted_171835

OP
aminemaster said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Yes, another user of proper spelling!
hrth.gif

OT: You've changed what you're changing your name to again?
wtf.gif
It was Uran7um, then Revo...make your mind up...
rolleyes.gif
how can we change the name 0.0
Thanks for necro-bumping this.
rolleyes.gif

If you want your name changed, PM tj_cool.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64Temp said:
DSi is better than GBA. GBA didn't have much good games.
What rock do you live under? I mean seriously, did you even own a GBA? That had some of the best handheld games and remakes you can find. Also, its "many good games" not "much good games".

EDIT: Whoops, I saw this in the latest discussions and that someone had just recently posted, didn't know it was a year old thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM