Soulcalibur Going F2P With "Soulcalibur: Lost Swords"

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't use the words, "atrocious," "nut-crushingly painful," or "daffodildo" very often, so believe me when I say that Soulcalibur V was an atrocious, nut-crushingly painful experience, as unsatisfying as a freshly plucked daffodildo. (Gahars' note: Or so a friend has told me, anyway...)

But don't worry, Soulcalibur fans! This particular ride isn't over just yet...

Publisher Namco Bandai unveiled the next Soulcalibur at the Tokyo Game Show today, but it's the not the game you'd expect. Soulcalibur Lost Swords is a single-player, free-to-play fighting game.

To complement the game's free-to-play format, Lost Swords adds an item "discovery and foraging" system, allowing players to pick up weapons and materials off of fallen foes. (Presumably there will be a crafting system, to go with it.) In addition to crafting new equipment, players can now imbue their weapons with elemental properties like fire and wind. Lost Swords also features the series' standard character customization options.
:arrow:The Escapist

Remember when this series had soul? A respectable caliber? Because I do, damn it!

"Lost Swords" (or "Tossed Swords" if you're feeling particularly uncharitable) will be be released "soon" in Japan, and will have a release in the West sometime this winter. Oh, and it's a PS3 exclusive for now, so... thanks, Namco?

Here's a trailer for the game if you're still interested. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go cry in the corner while listening to Bruce Springstein's "Glory Days" on an endless loop.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Naturally it depends upon whether they do F2P right but consider me curious (I really really want a single player game with a proper fighting engine).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really depends on the F2P structure, not all of them are bad. I'd hope it'd just be costumes and customizations but it looks like it'll be like weapons or weapon-related things and possibly characters so that really hurts it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm