Soul Silver crashing on DStwo

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by RupeeClock, Aug 20, 2010.

Aug 20, 2010
  1. RupeeClock
    OP

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    So I've had this DStwo for a little while now, and most things I've thrown at it have worked fine.
    It's using a Samsung Plus 8gb microSD, which has really good performance, so that's not an issue.

Anyhow, I'm getting occasional freezes in Soul Silver. I'm certain it's not the anti-piracy though, if it were it should take effect immediately since I have 16 gym badges.

The game seems to have a risk of freezing when it tries to enter a battle, after so many battles before it. The same seems to happen if I try to fly anywhere.
    Soul Silver definitely does not perform as well as it does on my Acekard, there's a noticeable split-second pause when a wild encounter starts. (You shouldn't detect a slight pause in music at all)

At first I thought it might have been because I was using a couple of cheat codes, they're cut gauge animation, and speed up text. Although after disabling the cheats the game still froze on me.

Does anyone else here any have problems with Soul Silver Freezing?
    I highly doubt it's a contact issue, I've played Megaman Zero Collection and Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, hours on end with no issues.

2. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    It's the DSTWO for some reason it works fine for some but for others the AP issue still stands [​IMG] kinda wierd tbh.

3. RupeeClock
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well I've tried a little something.
    I did 30 battles in game, saving often to see if it would crash.
    I tried flying after those battles, and got an incomplete HM animation.

[​IMG]

See? It's only displaying a few of those circular speedy things, it should have a bunch of them.
    It just crashes on that screen, this is the third time now.

I'm gonna try flying between towns about 30 times, and see if it happens.

4. DarkWay

United Kingdom
    yeah the same thing happens to me too. I have no idea how to fix it I've tried everything I know. I even e-mailed the team with no response

5. RupeeClock
    OP

United Kingdom
    I guess all I can do here is wait for the team to improve the kernel.
    I remember AKAIO not playing Platinum optimally, it had these brief pauses when wild encounters start, etc. Infact AKAIO plays Soul Silver all around much better than DSTwo does.

I'll go back to playing on my Acekard for now, I mostly bought the DStwo for its homebrew potential.

6. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    Someone posted this problem at the SC Forums, but I can't remember what the solution was.

Questions

1) Do you have the latest ds1patch.dat?

If you have the latest ds1patch.dat in the _dstwo folder, remove it and try Flying in the game again.

2) What's the region of your Rom? (U, E, J)?

Methods

1) Try running the game in Clean Mode and try Flying again.

2) Format your SD card.

3) Remove the ds1patch.dat from the _dstwo folder and try Flying in the game again (yes, really).

4) Turn Off Cheats with Clean Mode on.

7. RupeeClock
    OP

United Kingdom
    DS1patch.dat? I don't have anything like that in my microSD.
    Where do I get this?
    Also, my rom is (E), self dumped, trimmed.

I'll give those methods a quick go.

Edit: Ran it clean with no cheats, it takes longer to save, and you can't soft reset it (L+R+Start+Select)
    I think I'll just go back to playing it on the Acekard.

8. jakeyjake

Member jakeyjake GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Mine works fine, I even spent a straight like 6 hours playing it while camping. But, I just got to the elite four the first time. Maybe it only happens after you get all the badges?

by the way, it took me 40 hours to get there with 8x experience, but I did happen to catch 114 types of pokemon, included traded ones from the national dex that don't count yet. xD

Am I doin' it right? nope. lol.

9. DarkWay

United Kingdom
    it's not just flying after a certain number of events the game will freeze and I've tried all of the above + other things (childs play patch, trimmed, untrimmed, (E) (U), just doesn't help me.

10. RupeeClock
    OP

United Kingdom
    Tsk, the only cheats I use are the "Game Enhancers", things that basically speed up the animation of the game and nothing else.
    Compared to the GBA titles, the DS titles are pretty slow paced, ESPECIALLY Diamond and Pearl.

I wonder why yours works fine, yet mine doesn't though. These things can be a pain to figure out.

11. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    Ah, I think I meant the ndspatch.dat. Download Link to ndspatch.dat.

Ah, I see. I have the (U) version of Pokémon Soul Silver. It's most likely to be the region of the Rom's fault, because whenever I play Pokémon Soul Silver (U) it never freezes, not even the flying freeze.

I also suggest you getting THIS. It's pretty much hassle-free and convenient. It'll download DSTWO Skins, the latest EOS, the latest GBA Emulator, and the latest ndspatch.dat. All you need to do is set up Wi-Fi beforehand and you're good to go.

12. jakeyjake

United States
    After beating pokemon gold twice (not full pokedex) I would think that I'm entitled to a "faster" playthrough of the game.

Obviously isn't working for me. xD The other cheat I use is the all shiny pokemon cheat. I mean, come on. Who could resist that? I've only ever caught one legit shiny, and that was on gold (too much time put into it. lol)

EDIT: I don't think I ever downloaded ndspatch, unless it came with the newest EOS.

ps. why is soulsilver and heart gold not choices for wifi codes on this site?

13. RupeeClock
    OP

United Kingdom
    That DSTwo tools is really handy, cheers for showing me that. I used it to update my NDSpatch.dat, but unfortunately the game still crashed after about 30 battles.
    So, does it seem like that the (U) version runs fine, but the (E) version doesn't? I hope it's not laziness on Supercard's part or anything, since we aren't all pirates here. (Bought, self-dumped ROM)

Anyhow, till this is fixed I'm definitely switching back to my Acekard for the time being, shame really.
    Thanks for trying to help guys.

14. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    I don't see what's wrong with using the (U) version of PSS. Aren't (U) and (E) both the same?

15. RupeeClock
    OP

United Kingdom
    That's what I think too, (U) and (E), HG and SS both accept the exact same cheat codes, so in that respect they should all run the same.
    Still, I'm not gonna download a (U) rom to fix the problem, I dump my own ROMs dammit.

16. sputnix

Member sputnix GBAtemp Fan

Bangladesh
    try using a downloaded (E) version of SS this the only way of knowing if their is something wrong with the firmware

also the difference between the (E) and (U) is localization and region coding, while the DS has no reigion coding besides firmware (euro dsi only connects to euro dsi store no matter where u are in the world) the save will most Likely won't work but of course I never tried but it is different for every game

anywho since people are talking about cheats I use shiney (all pokemon 1-493 shiney aswell all unown and mostalt. forms for all pokon, ran out of room [​IMG]) walk through walls ( no HM slave!!!!!) event pokemon and well just about everycode I've tried atleast once

17. jakeyjake

United States
    Who brings hm slaves? teach hms to all your party members. But have a water slave. [​IMG]

18. sputnix

Member sputnix GBAtemp Fan

Bangladesh
    cause I don't want my lv 100 electrive to have rock smash when I can just walk through it [​IMG]

also forgot to mention that since you selfed dumped it and trimmed it I suspect one of those programs screwed up and may of corrupted the game causing it to freeze

19. RupeeClock
    OP

United Kingdom
    Plenty of non-water types can learn surf ya know.
    Honestly, I use HM slaves because I prefer my main members to not have sucky attacks. The only exceptions are Surf and Waterfall, they're useful as a special or physical STAB water attack.

20. jakeyjake

United States
    Yeah, surf is the only move I use on my water type. It normally gets the job done when I'm 'splorin. And the rest of his moves are waterfall, strength, and whirlpool.