Sorry if I sound thick but...

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Blaze163, Jul 20, 2010.

Jul 20, 2010
  1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    As you know I'm rockin' 5.50 Prometheus on my PSP1K, and so far it seems to be going well enough, moreso now that JoySens has wrangled my analogue stick back under my control. But I've been meaning to ask. Will having Prometheus installed in any way affect my ability to use actual UMD games, movies, etc? I do intend to buy games every now and then, if only to preserve precious memory card space for larger new games, but I need to know. Are there any games that don't work? The rather pitiful 3 games I have now (Dissidia, Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and Harvest Moon Boy+Girl) all seem to be working, but if there's a blacklist of games that don't work it seems logical I should know about it before wasting money on games that won't work.

So far the list of games I'm thinking will present issues would be

- LittleBig Planet. That whole update thing, I reckon the CFW will present problems.
    - ModNation Racers. I heard you need some code or something to play properly, dunno if it works with CFW.

What else is a potential risk? Or will Prometheus play anything from an official UMD and only create problems if I've pirated the games?

2. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Nah, all of them should work. As Prometheus got P3P to work just fine(physical game, I mean. An actual UMD, storebought)

3. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've heard it has undefined 'issues' with older games, what exactly does it struggle with?

4. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    LBP will work though the online may not. I know I cannot update wiht my ISO on CFW but the UMD may be different (Update option will exist) as long as you use PSNLover.

Modnation is a 6.20+ game so no idea whether its runnable from UMD. I know Prometheus patches on the fly but I have my reservations about UMD. As for the code, as long as you have PSNLover and can update you'll be able to access PSN on it. Code is as valid as it is for any other FW

5. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    Probably best to give those two a miss for the time being then, play it safe. Might just get a £20 PSN card and get FF8+9 and Afterburner Climax instead, play them all through my PS3.

6. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    There's no list that exists since the library of games is big and the people who play the older games rather than hang on new releases tend to be on older firmwares. However, since Prometheus is just GEN+ i'd expect it shares similar issues with D3, so things like Sega Rally and Jak and Daxter The Lost Frontier may be problematic.

It's not a problem though because you could always flash an alternative firmware or run a Test version.

7. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    I think those old games running was fixed by messing with options in the recovery menu, but i always forget where.

8. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    I try not to dick around with settings and the like in the recovery menu anyway, I'm kinda accident prone when it comes to technology (not a great sign for a wannabe games designer...) so i tend to skip it. Hence why I love my Cyclo. I plug it in, it works. No arguements, no faffing with settings, it just plain works.

9. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    For LBP, there is an updated ISO on the internet, can't tell you where though...
    Modnation Racers requires an online voucher to play online, if you do buy it then you can play it with no problems on CFW.

10. Jolan

Bulgaria
    That's exactly what I hate about the DS - it's too simple, you can't "play around" with it considering there aren't options, right?

11. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone here have Ace Combat X? It's just I have it in CSO format and it seems to be a little slow to me. Maybe my memories are false and it was always this slow but it just seems off to me. I'm wondering if I should just replace it with the UMD, that would bypass any issues with it, right? Maybe it's a bad dump, or it just has problems running from the memory card. Would getting it on UMD help?

12. aphirst

Member aphirst "Aren't girls with pee-pees just men?"

Germany
    Surely you'd be able to boost the performance straight away if you used UMDGen to decompress the CSO into an ISO?

13. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    I wasn't aware there was any difference between ISO and CSO aside from the file size. If it'd help, I could give it a shot. But I'm asking if anyone has the UMD and can confirm that it works fine with 5.50 Prometheus, because I'd probably get it on UMD anyway. The CSO is taking up over 700MB, I dread to think what the ISO will cost my poor little 4GB card. If it's gonna be such a space drainer I may as well just buy the damn thing.

14. overslept

Member overslept WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD

United States
    I was wondering that too. Looks like everything's fine though.

But ever since I starting using PSNLover I always feared (and still do) my PSP going "Adobe" on my ass and phone home to Sony saying "Sony! This PSP is running CFW! Ban the PSN account linked to it ASAP!"

That would be terrible -.-

15. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    Doesn't phase me much, I'll just switch to my alternate account on my old man's PSP. Means I have to be a non-existant 21 year old girl from West Virginia known only as 'Phoenix' but whatever, it's still online.

EDIT: while we're talking PSP's, mine keeps claiming MP3's I know to be fine are corrupted. Is this something to do with Prometheus, and either way how do I fix it? Clearly a fault with the PSP, not the files, 'cause they play on my DS fine. And every other MP3 playing facility in my house. Except the PSP. Picky bitch....

16. Jolan

Bulgaria
    It's sooo your memory card.

17. aphirst

Member aphirst "Aren't girls with pee-pees just men?"

Germany
    I've actually had a lot of MP3s randomly refuse to work on my PSP. The PSP simply must not like certain specific MP3 codecs or bitrates. Or ID3 tags. God knows.

18. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've given up using my PSP as a music player now, I'll stick to my Cyclo for media duty. My PSP is reserved for my GBA emulator, PS1 games, and PSP CSO's now. Strictly for gaming. Hopefully the HellCat Recovery Flasher will allow me to downgrade my firmware to get my PSN version of FF9 working, once I have that available I won't need much else for a fortnight or so.

19. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    I wanted to add to your other topic but for some reason it's locked? Anyway, the reason you're encountering slowdown in some games (or more slowdown that you need to be) is because you're using CSO's over ISO's. Some games work fine but others get laggy or experience bouts of slowdown or stuttering, and combining a poorly performing Memory Stick with a CSO is likely to be a recipe for choppiness and treacle speeds...

20. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    So CSO's take up less space but sometimes it sacrifices performance? Got it. With games like Ace Combat I'll buy the UMD anyway, its cheap these days so I may as well save space on my card.

Why's my other topic locked?