Sorry for the noob question, what card is best for the GBA?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by arkitech, Dec 8, 2008.

1. arkitech
    OP

Newcomer arkitech Member

United States
    I just recently learned that it's possible to backup roms to cards/carts for the GBA. (Which is great considering my 2 year old smashed my Puzzle Fighter cart awhile back)

I'm a little confused about which cards are best for the GBA only. I've read some info about different cards but it seems like they were meant to be used in a DS to play GBA games. Since I don't have a DS, I'm only interested in which cards I can use in a GBA SP. I've also read that some cards don't have the ability to save game data and that some of them don't run as fast as the original GBA carts. If someone could explain or point me to some info about GBA cards I'd be grateful.

One final question, are any of the cards that the GBA uses available at places like Best Buy or Walmart? Can they be written to through a card-reader?

Thanks for any info

2. Meatbrain

Newcomer Meatbrain Advanced Member

United States
    I think the EZ-Flash IV would be a solid choice. There's pretty much 0 chance you'll find it in WalMart or Bestbuy though unfortunately.

3. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Avoid the Supercard series of carts as they have slowdown in GBA games. It was my first flashcart and I was very disappointed in how the games would slow down.

EZflash IV is good. Don't know too much about it though, but a lot of people recommend it.

M3 Perfect miniSD (do NOT get the PRO version) is good for a GBA. Kinda expensive, but it has the real-time-clock that is important to a couple of games.

Not too sure about the EZFlash, but the M3 uses a miniSD card up to 2gigs to store the games. I have one and it's great.

One of the BEST places I've found to get them is:
    http://www.realhotstuff.com/

I've bought over a dozen flashcarts from them and have NEVER had a problem. They are based in New Jersey and deliver within one week to your mailbox.