Candy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey,

I had a DS Firelink who died on me. Just when I was finding who's the murderer in Phoenix Wright. Typical.

Anyway, after being extremely annoyed by my fiance who was loving his R4DS so much, I'm literally calling off our wedding! Okay, I was just kidding there.

After 3 months absence (why did they released some good games while I'm down!? Kick me when I'm down, eh?) I've decided to buy new flashing card.

After reading reviews here on GBAtemp.net, I'm leaning toward Acekard 2. But I'm also split between Acekard 2, R4DS ( I was impressed by R4DS), DSTT and Cyclo.

I'm curious - I saw this new card - N5. Can anyone, please, tell me about this? I'm scared by its 'Shrek' ears.

I'm interested in your opinion about the cards and which one I should buy.

Thanks

Swip

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The cyclo is the best card out there with alot of features great support. The r4ds is outdated and overpriced compared to other flash carts that can do what it does plus more now and it doesnt support sdhc. The AK2 and dstt are basic flash cart like the r4, simply used for playing "back ups",home brew , etc. But these 2 cards support sdhc unlike the r4.

And as for the n5 its a low quality r4 clone.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Swip said:
The cyclo is the best card out there with alot of features great support. The r4ds is outdated and overpriced compared to other flash carts that can do what it does plus more now and it doesnt support sdhc. The AK2 and dstt are basic flash cart like the r4, simply used for playing "back ups",home brew , etc. But these 2 cards support sdhc unlike the r4.

And as for the n5 its a low quality r4 clone.
I agree with everything Swip has said, except one thing. Cyclo is NOT the best flashkart. What beats it? SCDS1 SDHC

DON'T BELIEVE THE REVIEW off GBAtemp, for it's over a year old, and they've never re-evaluated when it went through massive hardware changes, and feature changes. I'm using it right now, and I'd say it gets just as much updates as the Cyclo does. It's cheaper than the Cyclo while it can do more than what the Cyclo can. It has more features (Real-time guide), as well as more advanced hardware. The Supercard team is famous for never dropping support for any of their products, so noone knows how much will change. Also, SCDS1 was the first to introduce Realtime Save to the flashkart scene. But Cyclo is still a great choice.

And R4 is indeed not worth buying anymore. Also, there is the EDGE, which is very hard to find nowadays, but it's still better than DSTT, while being at about the same price.

Lastly, I heavily recommend you to not get an N5, for it's well known to blow fuses on the DSs'. It breaks your DS, and wouldn't be usable, no longer. It's not the defective N5s, but all the N5s have a high chance of Breaking your DS.

Here's the list of the good>bad

CycloDS, SCDS1 SDHC> Acekard RPG> Acekard 2> EDGE> DSTT> R4/M3> M3 Real> N5> The Clones.

jeronz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It depends on what you want in a flashcart. You may struggle to find an R4 to buy and it has very basic features. SCDS1 has its problems but i think its the best value for money. CycloDS does have that slowmo feature that SCDSone doesnt have but thats pretty much it that I can think of, and its quite expensive. If you really love R4 that much you can put an R4-like menu on SCDS1 or TTDS called YSMenu. Definitely do not get an N5. Acekard 2 is also very good.

wilddenim

Candy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
N5 blow up the fuses in the DS? Wow, thanks for the warning. Totally off the list.

Oooh, I'm still split...

I'm looking for full 100% for games. I was upset when my DS FireLink didn't work with Zelda even with the latest updates and the save set to 2M.

Another question - 4GB micro card okay with Acekard and cyclo?

R4 - going off the list after seeing some reviews on Internet, they are also saying the R4 is losing its shine.

To help me further, if you had to pick one - which one?

wilddenim

Candy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
And what's the problem with spring? I always see threads with people screaming about springs in some card... I see acekard have spring in it. If it's broken, is it fixable?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wilddenim said:
And what's the problem with spring? I always see threads with people screaming about springs in some card... I see acekard have spring in it. If it's broken, is it fixable?
Its less of an issue than you think. The early R4 units were the only flashcarts to have a notable number of broken springs.

jeronz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Urza said:
jeronz said:
CycloDS does have that slowmo feature that SCDSone doesnt have
The SCDS1 has a slow-motion feature integrated with the cheat functionality.

Oh awesome thanks didn't know! Gonna try that now.

QUOTE(wilddenim @ Apr 17 2008, 04:43 PM)

Yes it is fixable there are some guides on the net. not everyone hates them tho because it allows you to remove the microsd card without taking out the flashcart.

wilddenim

Candy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Where's to get CycloDS the cheapest?

The cheapest I've found for CycloDS is £30 (about $59?).

And only £16 for AceKard. ($31).

jeronz, Oh, that's useful. I was annoyed a bit when I had to get the flash cart out to get the micro card out. I hope that make sense! *laughs*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp