SOPA: Anonymous Lists Their Demands

Cartmanuk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
sopaa.jpg

On Wednesday, the "official" Anonymous twitter feed linked to the group's list of demands. The document is titled, "Bright, and Clear: The Future of Free Speech." In it, the group details their list of demands for the future of the Internet that they believe SOPA and PIPA want to dismantle.

As we watch the web go dark today in protest against the SOPA/PIPA censorship bills, let's take a moment and reflect on why this fight is so important. We may have learned that free speech is what makes America great, or instinctively resist attempts at silencing our voices. But these are abstract principles, divorced from the real world and our daily lives.

We believe a healthy society doesn't allow its artists, musicians and other creators to starve. The copyright industry has been justly criticized for abusing the political process in a desperate attempt to maintain its role as a cultural gatekeeper, a business model made obsolete by a digital age of free copies. But the RIAA, MPAA & IFPI deserve our opprobrium for making enormous profits while often leaving the very artists it claims to represent *poorer* than they would be as independents. While the public may have greater access to the few artists deemed sufficiently marketable to gain mass media promotion, fewer and fewer of us are making art and music in our own lives.

Anonymous lists their demands starting with the call for the WIPO to be disbanded. They also demand the elimination of the DMCA's registration requirement for qualification under the "safe harbor" provision.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Some of these demands I like but they will never be acknowledged by anybody. The way Anonymous work makes them menaces to be hunted down by the law not a force to barter with. Besides at the end of the day Anonymous are just a bunch of whiny kids who want all their warez.

Koumori_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You say that, but remember that the founding fathers would have been looked at in a similar light. The two groups are clearly very different, Anonymous hides their faces and fights for comparitively trivial ends(mostly) and generally trolls, the founding fathers fought for actual rights and thats all they ever fought for.However, when it comes down to it, the Guy Fawkes stand ins are still fighting for peoples rights in this instance.
Wherever you come down on the piracy issue, no-one should have the unfettered ability to censor speech. People may have to be arrested for the content of their speech(ie. pedophiles, hatemongers, and so on.) but to have zero accountability, zero due process and zero limits on scope of this ability to regulate content is beyond insane. Its totalitarian, plain and simple.
To that end, I agree with their demands and wish that these rather brave souls give them all hell.
You know that no one in government will listen, so we have to make them listen in as peaceful and civil way as possible.
That whole anonymous movement seems to be peaceful, the moment they stop being peaceful is when we have to find a new(old) way to make ourselves heard.

Reactions: 1 person

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Demands are all actually fair and just, didn't expect Anon to have such demands. Maybe after this they could go after Ishihara and his cabinet over his terrible and determental legistlation.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, when it comes down to it, the Guy Fawkes stand ins are still fighting for peoples rights in this instance.

Guy Fawkes was caught and executed.

Yes, for attempting to blow up the House of Lords and assassinate King James I in the hopes of reinstating a Catholic monarchy.

These facts have no bearing on the current discussion apart from Anonymous' affinity for Fawkesian masks.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
However, when it comes down to it, the Guy Fawkes stand ins are still fighting for peoples rights in this instance.

Yes, for attempting to blow up the House of Lords and assassinate King James I in the hopes of reinstating a Catholic monarchy.

These facts have no bearing on the current discussion apart from Anonymous' affinity for Fawkesian masks.
I think they use them because of V for Vendetta movie. xP
A lot of people wouldnt even talk about him nowadays if not for the movie. .-."

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country

I'd always assumed that the use of the Fawke's mask was symbolic of Anon's desire to disrupt the powers that be....Goverment, Authority figure, whatever. The fact that Fawke's ultimately failed is kind of by the by. Ultimately all Anon are doing is demonstrationg that the Administration have hit a nerve. And these demands were made before the MU furore!A

Part of the implication was that Anon are just as likely to succeed as Fawkes.

Reactions: 3 people

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume this crap will stop soon since congress pulled out on SOPA like 2 days ago and no its not a rumor its all over the news and radio, sorry really tired of hearing about this!

Koumori_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It never fails to amaze me...the kind of moronic minutae that people. my point was only to break the monotony of saying anonymous over and over...geez.
there are actually substantiative discussions to be had you know...like killing pipa, which is sopa by another name.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It never fails to amaze me...the kind of moronic minutae that people. my point was only to break the monotony of saying anonymous over and over...geez.
there are actually substantiative discussions to be had you know...like killing pipa, which is sopa by another name.

The point you managed to totally miss was the Anon are not the saviours of the people, the freedom fighters who'll win the moral highground. They're a bunch of people with few real responsibities who thrive on causing havoc. It's acts like taking Wikipedia offline for 24 hours, or mass protests that will matter, not a bunch of troublemakers stoking the fires. I was illustrating that by comparing vigilante groups such as Anon to Fawkes you're bang on with showing that whilst they make a lot of noise they probably won't be the ones accomplishing any real change for the people.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
taking wikipedia down for 24 hours is not an event. taking wikipedia down for a week would make more sense. 1 day meant nothing. people wouldn't even have known had a couple of sites not posted that it was happening. remember, not everyone is plugged into the interwebz at all times. not everyone visits wikipedia or reddit on a daily basis. it was merely a whisper in response to a roar. wikipedia going down for a day wasn't what swayed congress. that fact that the legislation is wrong is what swayed them.

my cousin posted on facebook that he was going to deactivate his FB account for 24 hours in protest of SOPA. two days later he posts that he's back and no one even noticed he was gone...

if that is what protest has become, the whole "i care, just not enough to leave my keyboard and actually do something about it" approach? then good luck.

Anon will not succeed in what they are trying to accomplish, and neither are the people who think going silent for a day will make a difference

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
taking wikipedia down for 24 hours is not an event. taking wikipedia down for a week would make more sense. 1 day meant nothing. people wouldn't even have known had a couple of sites not posted that it was happening. remember, not everyone is plugged into the interwebz at all times. not everyone visits wikipedia or reddit on a daily basis. it was merely a whisper in response to a roar. wikipedia going down for a day wasn't what swayed congress. that fact that the legislation is wrong is what swayed them.

Anon will not succeed in what they are trying to accomplish, and neither are the people who think going silent for a day will make a difference

But you're not thinking internationally. From a national point of view i agree with your statement, but internationally Sopa has suddenly come into focus despite not being legislature in foreign nations. Given that it's been covered on the BBC, Newspapers, various radio stations and it's affected virtually the entire student poplulace (students being the main large group likely to cause a ruckus) Sopa is now something that the average Brit who generally keeps up to date with things (and who isn't necessarily web active, or at least social website active) is aware of. Mirror that across the world....

Taking Wikipedia offline for a day may not seem like much, but it's alerted a greater proportion of the world than you might at first think. Granted we can't influence your politicians but if we all kick off at our Governments then perhaps your's will start thinking further about how wise it is to create these sorts of super powered laws.

Compare these actions by Anon to Wikipedia going down for 24 hours and i can bet my backteeth which has raised more awareness in the average person.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These demands are understandable, though I wish they came from an actual, presentable organization with tact, dignity, and respect that could accomplish meaningful change. Otherwise, no one will give these ideas the serious consideration they warrant, and we all end up getting nowhere.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Executed is a bit of a weak word for public humiliation and torture eventually leading to death. There's alot more to the Powder Plot then people normally talk about. Assuredly the main reason was to get the Catholics back on the throne, but there are also the issues of "unwillingly annexed lands" such as Wales, where Guy Fawks is in some regions treated as a sort of martyr despite the fact that the Welsh are not Catholics at all. The King of Scots was obviously the best possible candidate from the English and Scottish perspectives, but not necessarily form the Irish or Welsh ones.

But I digress.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
The demands, however great and just they are, will never be accepted. Especially from a group that just DDOS'd tons of the the US government's websites , not to mention that it's the United Fucking States, since when have they ever listened to anyone who hasn't paid them $$$$?

Koumori_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It never fails to amaze me...the kind of moronic minutae that people. my point was only to break the monotony of saying anonymous over and over...geez. there are actually substantiative discussions to be had you know...like killing pipa, which is sopa by another name.
The point you managed to totally miss was the Anon are not the saviours of the people, the freedom fighters who'll win the moral highground. They're a bunch of people with few real responsibities who thrive on causing havoc. It's acts like taking Wikipedia offline for 24 hours, or mass protests that will matter, not a bunch of troublemakers stoking the fires. I was illustrating that by comparing vigilante groups such as Anon to Fawkes you're bang on with showing that whilst they make a lot of noise they probably won't be the ones accomplishing any real change for the people.

You know what, I did manage to miss that point, I apologize for seeming hostile,I really didn't mean to.
As it happens I agree with you completely. However, Anonymous is still important. They may only stoke fires, but a properly stoked fire is needed to fire the iron to the right heat.
They will never be the changing force, but they will make it possible for the public to change things because the raise awareness and outrage. That is a very important role to play, in my humble opinion.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These demands are understandable, though I wish they came from an actual, presentable organization with tact, dignity, and respect that could accomplish meaningful change. Otherwise, no one will give these ideas the serious consideration they warrant, and we all end up getting nowhere.
If that were to happen, it wouldn't go viral, and it wouldn't get momentum; it would never have the funding to make a dent in the American Political venues, and it wouldn't get media attention outside of NPR.

You know what, I did manage to miss that point, I apologize for seeming hostile,I really didn't mean to.
As it happens I agree with you completely. However, Anonymous is still important. They may only stoke fires, but a properly stoked fire is needed to fire the iron to the right heat.
They will never be the changing force, but they will make it possible for the public to change things because the raise awareness and outrage. That is a very important role to play, in my humble opinion.
+1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended