I'm back! :D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi there,
if you haven't noticed, i'm new to this forum, i decided to create an account so, i can request your help on what should I buy, R4DS w/ 2GB microSD or the G6 Ds Real with 2GB built-in NAND memory...

I like the fact the fact that i can change R4 memory whenever I want, but it doesnt have some of the features G6 Real has

but I also like the fact that with the built-in memory you have much less work to get the ROMs/Homebrews working, and you dont have the risc that the SD card gets stuck, also the G6 has that PDA feature that i find very interesting.

i've checked both reviews on these products from GBATemp and they both give a 9/10 score to the 2 products..

I'm here to see if you guys can help me decide in what is the best products from these 2...

Also, I won't be playing GBA games, so i just want the one that has better compatibility with DS games and homebrew, + the better media playback features...

Hoping you can help me,
Greetings from Portugal,
Diogo~º
nds.gif

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Haven't tested G6 ds real, but i have r4 and i'm happy with it.. no problems yet. So i don't know if there's much difference between them :S
Now let's see what G6 owners will say : O

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
but I also like the fact that with the built-in memory you have much less work to get the ROMs/Homebrews working
Both cards require the same amount of work to transfer files to. Beyond that there are some troublesome roms for both that require a few extra steps to get running. But I think the list of "special steps needed" roms is shorter for the R4.

QUOTEand you dont have the risc that the SD card gets stuck
Me and my gf have had R4s for almost a year now. Springs still work great. No stuck cards yet.

Chotaz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Steps for the R4:
1- Remove the R$ from the DS;
2- Remove the microSD card from the R4;
3- Connect the microSD to the Adapter;
4- Connect the adapter to the PC;
5- Drag'n'Drop files;
6- Remove the adapter from the PC;
7- Remove the microSD from the adapter;
8- Insert the microSD into R4;
9- Insert the R4 into DS.

Steps for G6:
1- Remove the G6 from the DS;
2- Insert the G6 in the adapter;
3- Insert the adapter in the PC;
4- Drag'n'Drop files;
5- Remove the adapter from the PC;
6- Remove the G6 from the Adapter;
7- Inser the G6 into DS.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
ChotaZ Posted Today, 12:38 PM
 i know i sound lazy bu, with R$ you ahve to connect the microSD to the adapater and then connect the adapter to the computer, drag and drop, remove the adapter, remove the card from the adapter and connect the card to the R4

with G6

conenct the G6 to the adapter, connect the adapater to the PC, drag and drop, remove the adapter, remove the G6 from the adapter and insert it in the DS

Sounds like the same amount of steps to me.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just realized there might be one extra step for the R4. Take it out of DS and put it back when done. But I have the old style cart so I don't do this. I just press the microSD and take it out of the R4 while the R4 stays in the DS. Have heard many others do this, also without problem.

Chotaz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, hum, now that's 1 point for G6, it's a bit easier to get working with..

Now there are missing some points

ROM playback
Homebrew playback
Media playback
Another features

What can you guys tell me about the topics in each product?

wrathek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't know about the G6, but the R4 has nearly 100% ROM playability, and if you find one that doesn't, check the R4 thread first, and if you find no answers, ask
biggrin.gif
Homebrew - just about 100% (i wouldnt know what wouldn't play) because of auto dldi patching
media playback- you can play videos by converting to dpg, you can listen to mp3s and such, all thru moonshell.

Chotaz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@ wrathek:

Hum, is there any diference in the performance of these 2 products for the media playback?
the R4 as a poor homebrew playback, it failed at lots of the test done in GBATemp's Review
i mean, any of them has any problem reading music and video files?

@superrob:

Chances of that happening are the same as a Maxtor HDD bricking for no reason in your desktop.
Also, I got a friend who got his first 2GB microSD card bricked in the R4 not even a mounth after buying it, and the secound card (same disk space, same brand) got stuck about 4 times till now, that is, 3 mounths, so when it comes to memory, i prefer the g6, the odds of getting the nand memory bricking for no reason are almost 0, unless of course you remove the the G6 form the adaptor while exp/importing anything from/to the G6, like 10000 times in a row :\

wrathek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're going off the review from here? Lol, that's a REALLY old review. it's fixed all the way now. it doesnt fail any homebrew anymore.. just drag n drop and itll load.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
one more thing is that with R4 you dont need to have an odd adapter and with any card reader (which are easy to buy and ur not forced to get it from them and beside that, it is built-in in most laptops) but with G6 you need an speSHial adapter that if got lost or breaks, you have to pay more.

i have a G6 Lite myself and i'm always afraid or breaking it and if i do, who knows if they still have one in stock.

Chotaz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
get the R4 its great
biggrin.gif

after talking to the person who reviwed all the 3 products R4DS/G6Real/CycloDS, i think ill buy the CycloDS, but if I buy it, it'll only be in Christmas, so the M3 DS Real might come out, gathering the best of the M3/R4, (the removable media) and the best of the G6 REal ( all those fancy features ) into one cart, then ill check and if the prices are fine to me, ill buy the M3 DS REal...

But i'm still taking opinions/comments, on eahc product

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Acekard is looking pretty good so far.

However, I'd wait a week or two to see if any problems start popping up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1