Hacking Sony's response with future games

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Then we could just split the file I guess, sure something of the like has been done before. Some games already have files over 4Gb, take MGS4 and it's 40min cgi scenes for example, all uncompressed...

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Whatever sony does, it can be undone.They just failed. We will see the PS4 sooner than later. Expect a release for Q4.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Magsor said:
Whatever sony does, it can be undone.They just failed. We will see the PS4 sooner than later. Expect a release for Q4.
Doubtful. They did say they were going to have a 10 year plan with the PS3, they probably won't stop that. But who knows, maybe the piracy will get so bad they'll have to.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
TwinRetro said:
Okay, so wouldn't all Sony need to do is make just one file larger than 4 GB in the file structure to prevent piracy altogether?
nope.
the filesystem sony uses for the internal HDD supports files over 4GB as far as i know, and you can just use ftp to put the files in there.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Or maybe they'll follow up on their announcement and actually find a way to recover from this situation. Like a super update to 4.0 with an entirely rebuilt security structure that hackers will have a hard time getting through (especially without the talent of the people behind the current hacks), and obviously make all new games require that update.

It's not likely, but I hope they succeed. I wouldn't want all the game devs to migrate to Microsoft of all people...

MrDiesel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Originality said:
It's not likely, but I hope they succeed. I wouldn't want all the game devs to migrate to Microsoft of all people...

Fingers crossed! Sony knows the PS3 from inside out, so hopefully there is at least ONE solution.

Although the pirates would hate it (and those genuine homebrew users). Almost in every thread about cfw and all that shit pirates are qq'ing (maybe not here, but at other forums they do) about the ability to back-up. Omg! Just buy the fricking games

QUOTE(Magsor @ Jan 10 2011, 06:02 PM) Whatever sony does, it can be undone.They just failed. We will see the PS4 sooner than later. Expect a release for Q4.

I don't think we'll see a PS4 anytime soon. I think the PS3 still has enough power (even after all those years) to satisfy the players. Uncharted 3 is planned for 1.11.11 (cool date
biggrin.gif
) and I assume they want the most out of it. I hope they'll have fixed the piracy problem by then, but I'm very sceptical about it. Everyone keeps saying there is nothing they can do, although I want to believe the opposite.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:

one of the main reasons that has made the god damn Pee S 3 successful in the past 2 years or so is that fact; not tom mention we see more GREAT exclusive PSN titles, such as Tetris for example, coming to the PS3

a part of me when i first saw this CFW was fuck yeaah, gna save my monies

the other part was like; damn it just feels like my damn xbox sitting there with all these pirated games which i dnt play
frown.gif

this whole homebrew thing on the PS3 is great, i can see the possibilities, but bit late if you ask me, it will just fall into just piracy... as usual.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
Or maybe they'll follow up on their announcement and actually find a way to recover from this situation. Like a super update to 4.0 with an entirely rebuilt security structure that hackers will have a hard time getting through (especially without the talent of the people behind the current hacks), and obviously make all new games require that update.

Why would devs switch to MS over this? MS has had this sorta thing going on for years on the 360.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
My guess of how they would stop this is get a new key and sign it on NEW games only so in other words, all games released the minute before they do that, we can pirate, and the ones with the new key we have no access to...

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
tbgtbg said:
Originality said:

Why would devs switch to MS over this? MS has had this sorta thing going on for years on the 360.
No kidding. Devs have nowhere to go now to avoid piracy. Wii, 360, PS3, PC, and all current handhelds have been hacked to run pirated games.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I know, I own them all and have hacked them all. I still have a line of refurbished Xbox 360s sitting behind my secondary monitor.

It's just that in terms of difficulty to enable piracy, Xbox 360 has become the most secure platform since PS3 got reduced to the level of the Wii.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
Piracy will only help Sony, which is why I don't understand some people screaming gloom and doom. No one's going to stop developing for the PS3! Today's games are so damn expensive publishers have no choice to but to port, port, port, and piracy has never meant lost sales anyway. Maybe a lost rental, or a lost used/trade-in, but those don't benefit the publisher to begin with
smile.gif

Relf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sony will probably go for online passes to play. People will pay for genuine keys to get on the next gen of CoD, etc.
Online play is a big thing for the PS3. I hacked mine because the blu-ray drive went bust after one of Sony's infamous firmware updates. You quickly notice how few multiplayer games with split screen you can buy for the system
tongue.gif

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
synce said:
Piracy will only help Sony, which is why I don't understand some people screaming gloom and doom. No one's going to stop developing for the PS3! Today's games are so damn expensive publishers have no choice to but to port, port, port, and piracy has never meant lost sales anyway. Maybe a lost rental, or a lost used/trade-in, but those don't benefit the publisher to begin with
smile.gif
Provide one example with statistics to back it up where piracy has helped anything else before...

And if they do go with online passes it'll no doubt be similar to how it is on the PSP already.

Relf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
antwill said:
synce said:
smile.gif
Provide one example with statistics to back it up where piracy has helped anything else before...

And if they do go with online passes it'll no doubt be similar to how it is on the PSP already.

You mean like the PSP Go with unique codes to even get the game or something else?
My apologies, PSP is not my area of expertise.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Relf said:
antwill said:
synce said:
smile.gif

You mean like the PSP Go with unique codes to even get the game or something else?
My apologies, PSP is not my area of expertise.
I mean with the games, like Socom, where you get a code in the game case to play online, but if you buy second hand you pay $10 for a code.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The only aspect that I can think of where piracy has actually helped the games industry, is in console sales. One of the reasons why the Wii sells so well is because it's so easy to hack and pirate games off. There are also many people who, after getting banned by Microsoft, just went out and bought a new Xbox 360.

I'm guessing there'll be a 30-60% rise in PS3 sales as a result of the hack, especially since it's now been mentioned in newspapers worldwide. We're already seeing enough new threads of "I'm thinking of/already have bought a PS3, and want to know how to play backups".

QUOTE said:
Sony will probably go for online passes to play. People will pay for genuine keys to get on the next gen of CoD, etc.
I sincerely hope you're wrong. Pseudo or real DRM is not the answer to piracy. PC has too much of that already and it's caused any number of problems for both sides in the past (not to mention failing to actually prevent software crackers from doing what they do best).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol