Sony's Kaz Hirai to step down as CEO

gettyimages-543505430_0.jpg

Sony has announced that their current CEO, Kaz Hirai, will be stepping down from the company in April 2018. He will then be appointed as a chairman of the company, while chief financial officer Kenchiro Yoshida will be replacing Hirai as CEO. This news follows after Sony Interactive Entertainment's (PlayStation) CEO Andrew House stepped down at the end of last year, as well. Though this will certainly shake things up at Sony/PlayStation, Hirai states that Yoshida is more than able to succeed him at the company, and that his transition into CEO will be smooth.

The Board is grateful to Kazuo Hirai for his outstanding contribution over the past six years, taking leadership of the company amidst an extremely challenging business environment in 2012, and making great progress in revitalizing Sony’s business. Given these achievements, we were initially surprised by his proposal to step down from the role of President and CEO, but over time and following extensive further discussions we ultimately reached a decision to respect his wishes. The Nominating Committee had been regularly discussing potential management succession plans, and after receiving the proposal from Mr. Hirai, we engaged in renewed discussion, leading to the conclusion that Mr. Yoshida would be the ideal candidate to succeed Mr. Hirai as Sony President and CEO, and lead Sony into the future. The Board also unanimously supported this proposal. Together with Mr. Hirai, the Board will offer their full support to Mr. Yoshida and his new management team, while also closely observing their progress from a shareholder perspective.

For those that might not know who Kaz Hirai is, some may remember him from PlayStation's E3 2006 conference, where many jokes spawned from his awkward on-stage line of "Riiiiidge Racer".

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Liiiiiiiiidge LACEEEERRRRR! (SORRY IF I OFFENDED SOMEONE)

Seriously though <3 Kaz, he is the reason PS4 is dominating this gen. After MS did so well with 360, Kaz was like nextgen lets kill these guys, and they have done just that with deal after deal, exclusive after exclusive. Sneaky ninja strategies, well done my man!

Good luck senpai Kaz!

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
So his famous twitter parody account will outlive his career? lol

Last edited by zoogie,

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hooray, maybe Sony'll take a better course. Or ever worse one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Seriously though <3 Kaz, he is the reason PS4 is dominating this gen. After MS did so well with 360, Kaz was like nextgen lets kill these guys, and they have done just that with deal after deal, exclusive after exclusive. Sneaky ninja strategies, well done my man!

Good luck senpai Kaz!
the reason ad disaster of XBOX one (TV and DRM), so they have monopoly there.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The CEO position in the hands of the financial department... I see that going well. /s

Though, to be honest it already felt like this for years seeing their Vita support after the launch of the PS4 as well as increased PS+ fees.

I'm sure that either nothing will change or it will be even worse than it is already.

Reactions: DarthDub

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Good luck senpai Kaz!
Yes! Then without him maybe Nintendo will be able to dominate over Sony!
Oops, did I say that out loud?

Geezerdorf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The end of an era.
Whilst Hirai had a looooot, and i mean, a looooooooooooooot of serious and questionable decisions over the years, it's weird to see him go, after correcting the mistakes that were being made with the PS3/4. Needless to say, what happened to his strategy with the Vita? What was all of that of Vita is Life? The console is dead as a horse overseas, and it could had been a potential competitor for the switch in this moment. Still think that strategy with the console would had worked now, not before. Some of his strategies were ahead of his time.

Oh well. Yoshida will have a huge shoes to fill, but if Kimishima is an indication, maybe Yoshida knows what his market wants for Playstation. Maybe.
Will he pull through with the PS4PRO and the already dead Vita? What about his other responsibilities with the TV and Technology Division? Will Sony be more transparent in what they're working? Will he topple the 599 USD? Well, we'll find out as he takes the banner.

Alas, farewell! RIIIIIIIIDGE RACEEEEEEEEEEER Fan! I will miss thee!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...